PetSmart PetsHotel

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
TorchedStang
Newborn Bully

PetSmart PetsHotel

Postby TorchedStang » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:38 pm

I am going out of state for four days at the beginning of next month, and this will mark the first time Shelby and I will be apart for more than one night in the two and a half years I have been her caretaker, in her life. So needless to say, I am trying to look at the best way I can make sure she is cared for while I am away.

So, getting to the point of this thread; does anyone have any experience with the PetSmart PetsHotel?

I have looked into what they offer, and I am kinda on the fence. Having checked the place out briefly during different visits, I like what I have seen. Anyone here familiar with the PetsHotel?

http://petshotel.petsmart.com/index.shtml

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Re: PetSmart PetsHotel

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:24 pm

I do not think Petsmart Pet Hotels allow bully breeds. I have never boarded my dogs there but, it looks like a nice place. One of the main things I would check for when boarding a dog, is if they allow bully breeds.

I hope you able to find a fun place for your dog to stay at! Good luck! :thumbsup:

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:04 pm

A lot of our clients at my animal hospital use our local PetsHotel and really love it. I can't say I've heard anything bad about them. That being said many PetsMarts have a number of anti-pit bull policies so I don't know if too many people here will have patronized them.

Have you considered a pet sitter? You may ask around for references or call your animal hospital for suggestions. I know a lot of girls I work with pet sit overnight. Just a thought. Good luck!

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:09 pm

I think the PetSmart PetHotels have 'suites' that they can keep single dogs, and then let those dogs have their own time in the play area. They seem pretty nice.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:25 am

I run one. I love it. We absolutely DO allow bully breeds (I wouldn't work there if we didn't!!) The only exception to that is if your State or city has laws against Pit Bulls, since local laws over-ride PetSmart laws :) We do not put bully breeds or unneutered males into Day Camp (large play group, small area, lot's of rude dogs) but that is really not something you would want to add on to your stay anyway. I run a smaller group with well matched dogs, but most Hotels probably do not. If you have multiple dogs, they can play together.
We do have Suites available, but your pup does not have to stay in one if you do not choose to do so. Our regular rooms are nice too! Someone is there 24/7, it's always 70 degrees and there are a ton of enrichment options available.

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby CSilverman89 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:13 am

Kingsgurl wrote:I run one. I love it. We absolutely DO allow bully breeds (I wouldn't work there if we didn't!!) The only exception to that is if your State or city has laws against Pit Bulls, since local laws over-ride PetSmart laws :) We do not put bully breeds or unneutered males into Day Camp (large play group, small area, lot's of rude dogs) but that is really not something you would want to add on to your stay anyway.

My sentiments exactly. I used to work for Petsmart, and this was absolutely our policy. Same rules.

Dover used to come to work with me and was used as a Demo dog for our trainer quite frequently, and was used to initiate new trainers who were looking to become a trainer.
lol

BullyBud
Bully Ambassador

Postby BullyBud » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:59 am

I can only say for me, I will only take my dogs to boarding places where they can go outside. I think it's important for dogs to get out and smell fresh air.

The spin from Petsmart will be "they will get fleas outside" or "they can get loose" which is really hog wash. Dogs can get fleas anywhere in a dog kennel and if you research your kennels outside area's and find double fencing and supervision, they are safe...and the dog is much happier.

Other than that, I have not heard anything negative about them (other than the bully daycare rule).

I would personally look for more choices that have safe and secure outdoor areas IMO.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:01 pm

I used the petsmart petshotel quite a bit for my pups while I was on an internship in Omaha... I was really happy with them. They were a little on the pricey side, but my pups enjoyed going there and the staff seemed well informed and on the ball.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:48 pm

Eh, my dogs are inside dogs, they are used to climate control roflmao Much as I would enjoy having an outdoor area we could use on temperate days, I certainly wouldn't choose a faclility because the dogs 'can go outside' Hell, you have to DRAG my dogs out if it's raining. PetSmart IS a little anal on the whole safety issue, but I would rather they be that way and err on the side of caution. The air in my facility (which turns over 5 times an hour and has UV filtration) is fresher than the great outdoors anyway. No 'bad air days' (which we have plenty of here in wonderful smaog filled California) no allergens, no smoke from the latest wildfires, no rain, no sleet, no snow and no heat exhaustion.

BullyBud
Bully Ambassador

Postby BullyBud » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:26 pm

I was referring to a proper outdoor facility. Ours had a roof for rainy days...even if they had an indoor play area for rainy days that would suffice.
I know PetSmart errs on the "side of caution"...but sometimes logic should be applied. There can be proper, safe, outdoor containment set ups. As long as you inspect their set up, I wouldn't worry about it. A good one has a double fence(the dog has to go through two fences to get loose), tall six foot fences, bottom rails, concrete by fence so no diggers, and those leaning in thingy's to keep climbers-oh and they are never out unsupervised. We never had one get loose.

I suspect the policy has more to do with zoning than "erring on the side of caution". When we went through buying land and getting zoning approval for out pet resorts, we would have had a simpler time building in commercial areas where the dogs are kept inside only-no noise problems with city ordinances. But we took the extra step to find appropriate property that would allow the dogs to be outside due to our philospohy and reducing stress-anyone who has seen their dog play outside knows how much dogs love to be outdoors. Heck, if that isn't a plus why not just keep dogs indoor all the time and build litter boxes!

I have never heard a negative comment about PetSmarts service or care for the animals. I just believe dogs were meant to be outside and I know that having that option reduces stress for many many boarded dogs.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:09 pm

You and I both know that the type of facility you (and I) run is a far cry from most facilities. The tours I've been on of the 'competition' was enough to give me nightmares.

Wherever you choose to board, please do your research and dig in past the brochures market-speak. Ask to see things first hand. They should have no problem with that.

Here's some first hand examples-

'500 sq. foot private outdoor play area' turned out to be a gravel breezeway about 2 feet wide that ran behind the 'luxious indoor/outdoor runs' (which were poorly insulated chain link kennels that would have made the local shelter cringe) The dogs amused themselves, during their excerice time, by running the fence line and fence fighting or barking at the other dogs. This facility did not allow pit bulls.

'Monitored 24 hours a day' or the equally popular 'staff on site' ....having a vid cam does NOT equal someone watching your dogs during the night nor does one person having sleeping quarters located somewhere on the property. Some places left at 8 PM and no one came back in until 7 AM the next day.

One place had a nice double fence set-up as you described, didn't stop a dog from scaling both and sitting in the front seat of some guys car in the parking lot (they told me this story) I guess because they thought it was funny.

Return to “Health Issues”