Pet Insurance

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
EowynRoh
Newborn Bully

Re: Pet Insurance

Postby EowynRoh » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:39 pm

I worked at a veterinary technician for over 15 years and heard nothing but complaints from owners and vets about pet insurance until Trupanion. It's the only one my last vet would refer clients to. I had to process much of the paperwork. They were kind, punctual, and always willing to relook at something to make sure they had not refused someone a claim that was indeed valid. Trupanion is still the only one I will use for my pets. They have saved me over 5 grand now. And as a military wife, when my cat needs an MRI to help save her life, I can't just plop down 2,000! But because we had Trupanion, we enjoyed our cat for 5 more wonderful years. You can not put a price on that!

Trupanion can be used anywhere. You chose your own deductible. They pay 90%. There is also a holistic care rider that you can add. If your hospital promotes Trupanion, you can also ask them about claims express for large procedures.

Chilly

Postby Chilly » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:35 pm

I've got pet insurance for Abby but I hope to never have to use it. 8)

DanBull
Newborn Bully

Postby DanBull » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:09 pm

Yeah, I have Trupanion for both of my dogs and have been with them for close to 6 years now. When they first sent a check for 90% of a nightmare surgery and resulting hospitalization that cost over $20,000 I thought for sure the check would bounce. It’s hard enough to get insurance companies for people to pay and I didn’t believe that a company would cough up that much money without a fight. Alas, they did and covered more treatments, rehab and diagnostic tests after that too.

With that said, if I had better resources to compare plans I would have chose healthy paws instead. I was referred to trupanion by a friend and overall they’ve been great but they did deny two major claims related to ACL surgery, which is somewhat common for pits. They had some microscopic fine print that says if there is a cruciate ligament injury on one leg then the other leg isn’t covered for future incidents. It’s called a bilateral exclusion and I checked around and found that healthy paws was not only significantly cheaper but had no bilateral exclusions and would have covered everything trupanion did plus both procedures they didn’t, which cost me a combine $6500 out of pocket.

My advice to anybody is first get the basics of the breed’s known health issues. Next, learn about the nuts and bolts of pet insurance and finally compare plans using an accurate and up to date comparison tool. If you try and compare before you know your pit’s health risk or before you understand what you’re comparing and what the terms and conditions actually mean, you’ll be wasting time and could end up with a policy that’s not what you expected. Here are the pages I used and thought were pretty decent for overall accuracy and being easy to use (I’m not the most technologically literate).

http://www.petmd.com/dog/breeds/c_dg_am ... ll_terrier
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barbara-a ... 19440.html
https://www.petinsuranceu.com/pit-bull-pet-insurance/

Comparison tool I used (don’t compare until you understand what you’re comparing and at least know the basics of pet insurance) https://www.petinsuranceu.com/compare-pet-insurance/

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Tue May 03, 2016 2:47 pm

with my dogs latest surgery two weeks ago (to repair a smashed canine tooth, and remove another MCT), we officially tipped over the $30k mark with trupanion. That doesn't mean my dog has cost $30k, she has cost WAY more than that, with all the physio, consult fees, chiro, acupuncture, etc. that insurance doesn't cover... but trupanion has paid out just over $30,000 for my dog.

That's reason enough for me to swear by insurance!

Return to “Health Issues”