Pet Insurance

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Pet Insurance

Postby Stormi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:12 pm

MissKitty wrote:Also, for a pre-existing condition, do you have to receive a formal diagnosis at the vet, or does just going to the vet for a problem (and the vet being unable to diagnose said problem) count?

I'd be curious to know this, too.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Re: Pet Insurance

Postby Siberian » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:40 am

Ok, guys, there is a new kid in town and I am switching... Trupanion hiked up my rates by 45% (they did it for everyone in Florida and California), so I am no longer supportive of them.

The new insurance is http://www.healthypawspetinsurance.com/

They are just like Trupanion (90% coverage), but better. Instead of per case deductible they have an annual deductible. Plus, they cover hereditary issues.

Here is the comparison chart for Healthy Paws and Trupanion:
http://pet-insurance.findthebest.com/co ... e-Provider
They also have great reviews, and 10 rating at http://www.petinsurancereview.com/healthypaws.asp

Check it out, guys.

As far as the question below - I took Sheba to vet for some kidney related issues several times. She was never diagnosed with kidney related illness. So, while under Trupanion, I went further with my testing , and few disturbing things were revealed. Trupanion still covered it.
Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby MissKitty » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:13 pm

Interesting, Healthy Paws does cover a lot more.

But they have this to say about pre-existing conditions-

A pre-existing condition means that the condition first occurred or showed clinical symptoms before your pet's coverage started (including waiting periods). Our pet insurance protects you against future conditions and unfortunately no pet insurance company can cover pre-existing conditions.

At Healthy Paws identifying a pre-existing condition is simple! If it's an accident, illness or injury and the symptoms didn't occur before enrollment you're covered.

But we will review a pre-existing condition exclusion at your request. If we determine that the condition is considered curable we may approve future coverage of that condition. This process requires our team to review of your pet's medical records along with a request from you by email.

So I took Apollo to the vet a while ago for some soreness in his back leg. By the time the appointment came around he was fine, the vet looked at him, couldn't see/feel anything wrong and told me to take videos if it came back up again.
I could have done much more testing but chose not to and no symptoms have resurfaced.

If he say, blows out a knee (or some other back end related issue) and I ask the pet insurance company for compensation, would they view that vet visit as proof of there being a symptom of a pre-existing condition?

Also for the hip dysplasia, it there is a 12 month waiting period before it takes effect.
Apollo is getting his X-Rays done in October, if HD was to show up, would they then not cover it?
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Siberian » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:56 pm

MissKitty, these are the questions for the insurance agent. Why don't you call them and ask? You don't have to give your name, etc, so they will not track your questions to you if you decide to sign up.
Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby MissKitty » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:05 am

Okay got off the phone with them.

For hip dysplasia, I was planning on having Apollo X-Rayed in October but if he was found to have hip dysplasia (and it was before the 12 month waiting period) then it would be considered a pre-existing condition.

And for the problem that was undiagnosed at the vet, you submit the vet report for review and it depends on the vets wording if they consider it a pre-existing condition. So if the vet wrote that the knees seem loose and he blew out his knee later, it would be pre-existing. But if the vet wrote that it could be just growing pains but then something went wrong it would not be considered pre-existing.

For those that are using Healthy Paws, are you worried about a raise in price as your dog ages?
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby heartbullies » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:32 pm

About to test our PetPlan again; B just had a huge medical bill related to a MCT. Will report back after I hear from them!

Sent from my ATRIX using Tapatalk
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby MissKitty » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:30 pm

^ I hope it goes well!
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:18 am

Signed up for Healthy Paws, sending in the vet records tomorrow. Hope it goes well!
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Still waiting to hear back from them. I called to makes sure that they go Apollo's medical records and they said the review may take more than a month. Gee, thanks.
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby MissKitty » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:48 pm

Finally heard back, the lady on the phone was very nice.
They won't cover HD unless his x-rays in October clear him of HD. But they will cover everything else.
At this point I am on the fence about keeping it, has anyone filed a claim with them?
MissKitty
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jeago » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:15 pm

MissKitty wrote:Finally heard back, the lady on the phone was very nice.
They won't cover HD unless his x-rays in October clear him of HD. But they will cover everything else.
At this point I am on the fence about keeping it, has anyone filed a claim with them?

I've had HealthyPaws for about a year now and we've filed two claims with them (tooth extraction and a foxtail removal). Those two claims have pretty much made the annual cost of pet insurance worth it. They're quite fast to follow up and it's pretty simple to file a claim- just take the claim form with you to the vet (we keep copies handy in case of emergencies) and have the vet sign/stamp it. Then you just fax it in and get a confirmation in a couple days on what will be covered.
The first time we filed a claim I had tons of questions and they responded to my emails very quickly, too, which was a big relief.
They don't cover the office visit, though, so if you visit a vet but no treatment is required there is nothing covered by insurance.
In the case of our dog they didn't require x-rays for hip displaysia, just a basic exam to check for any obvious signs of HD (they have a form available that gives the vet instructions on exactly what they need the vet to look for/make note of), but this may be because our dog was under 1 year old when we started with HealthyPaws.
jeago
Newborn Bully

Postby pblove » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:18 am

heartbullies wrote:About to test our PetPlan again; B just had a huge medical bill related to a MCT. Will report back after I hear from them!

how did that work out for you?
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby heartbullies » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:58 am

I received a check for over $2500. The rep also encouraged me to file a claim from over a year ago, and I received $700. Combined, the two were enough to pay off this year's CareCredit. I just was out the deductible and the small % that was not covered by insurance (our "measly" $180 vet exam/test at the regular vet did not exceed the deductible I signed up for). I am very happy with PetPlan; the customer service was great, the prompt payment was great, etc. I can afford the routine stuff and little emergencies, which is why I did not pick VPI Insurance, but combining PetPlan with CareCredit for big bills meant my savings account was entirely spared.

heartbullies
Regulator

Postby pblove » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:12 pm

that is great, I am shopping for a plan now, that is why I asked. thank you for replying
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby heartbullies » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:43 pm

It is a PITA to get allll the vet records from your dog's whole life together. If I ever get another dog, I will buy the policy right away, even before the first vet trip.

heartbullies
Regulator

PreviousNext

Return to Health Issues