tricks for giving medicine

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bainboy76
Newborn Bully

tricks for giving medicine

Postby bainboy76 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:55 am

For as long as I've been giving Bullit his heart worm tablets, he's been stubborn about taking them. When it's time for him to take one, it takes a new strategy to get it down. Does anyone have a trick that works every time? Just now, I forced it in his mouth with a treat and he finally ate it, but I don't want to do it like that anymore because it could get in his windpipe.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Re: tricks for giving medicine

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:29 am

Have you tried sneaking it in food or smearing it with peanut butter?

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:51 am

I use turkey weiner - put pill inside - cover end with peanut butter or sometimes I put them in a slice of American cheese, just fold it over. My dogs are pretty easy though, I've never had a problem giving them any pill/tablet.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:54 am

I put all her pills in the can of dog food and just scoop them out with a spoon and feed it to Cherry off the spoon. Works great for us, she gulps the whole thing down. Even the gigantic fish oil pills.

JeepinDog
Addicted to PBF

Postby JeepinDog » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:16 pm

Being more stubborn than Shadow worked for me. :) He takes his Prednisone pill everyday right out of my hand, it's a bitter tasting pill.

Offered the pill, tasted it and spit it out. Showed his food than offered the pill and he did the same. We stayed there until he realized Dad is more stubborn than a dog.

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:22 pm

With the heartworm pills i have learned to cut them up and put it in wet dog food. But when its the benadryl for allergies or most other meds I just put it in a glob of peanut butter or wrap it in cheese. Works everytime. Good Luck! :pray

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:48 pm

Have you tried Greenies Pill Pockets? They aren't particularly healthy, but they taste good (I assume) and can be easily broken to last longer or mush around pills. I give Liberty pills regularly, and not only do all five animals line up for a bit of Pill Pocket, but she now comes running when I take my morning meds, because she hears the pill bottle and thinks it means yummies.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:39 pm

Peanut's easy, she thinks her heartworm pills are treats and I just give them to her. Her antibiotics are capsules so I don't want her chewing them so I wrap them up in cream cheese... she swallows it whole while licking my fingers for more cream cheese!

bainboy76
Newborn Bully

Postby bainboy76 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:07 am

I've tried it in cheese. It worked the first time, but he got wise to that. I put it in a can of dogfood before too. That worked until now. He didn't fall for it this time, that's why he got it force fed to him. I've never tried peanut butter before. I'll try that next time, thanks :thumbsup:

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:38 am

Cream cheese, ricotta cheese, or peanut butter is what we use. We used to use the Greenies Pill Pockets, but figured cream cheese etc. is cheaper.

I'm astonished that Bullit can taste the pill inside the treat. Tell him he's supposed to wolf it down, not roll it about his palate like it's a wine tasting or something.

bainboy76
Newborn Bully

Postby bainboy76 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:51 am

I'm astonished that Bullit can taste the pill inside the treat. Tell him he's supposed to wolf it down, not roll it about his palate like it's a wine tasting or something.

Haha, that's exactly what he does! Sometimes I would give him a piece of regular cheese, just to get him goin. Then I'll sneek in the piece with the tablet in it and he would role it around in his mouth and spit the tablet out...then eat the cheese. very frustrating :po:

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:06 am

bainboy76 wrote:

Haha, that's exactly what he does! Sometimes I would give him a piece of regular cheese, just to get him goin. Then I'll sneek in the piece with the tablet in it and he would role it around in his mouth and spit the tablet out...then eat the cheese. very frustrating :po:

Lily has done that. She's has to even check out new treats first, taste, spit on ground, look at it, taste and then finally eat it! lol Peanut butter on stuff has worked really good for her - I think it's so sticky she can't get the pill separated from it. "Foiled again Lily"

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Postby InBearsMemory » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:32 am

Half a slice of whole wheat bread, spread peanut butter on top, place pill in middle and fold over. Works like a charm.

M.Anderson
Super Bully

Postby M.Anderson » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:29 pm

cheese. peanut butter. chicken. hot dog. canned dog food.

lol really any combination of those things should do the trick.

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:38 am

The key is to have at least 3 pieces of whatever you're putting the pill in... I like that velvetta cheese since it's easily molded around the pills. You have to make the dog really interested in getting the "treat", I like to take my time getting it out, and make sure I have their attention, once in a while I'll do a little obedience stuff first so they feel like they've earned this special item, or give multiple dogs (seperated by gate in Haley's case) treats, as that makes them more inclined to gulp theirs so no one else gets it.

Then, you give one "plain" treat, I like to toss it if they'll catch it, as they seem more inclined to gulp than if it's handed to them. As they catch that one and begin to eat it, hold up the pill treat to get their attention, then toss/hand it as soon as they're done the first. As soon as they get that one, hold up treat 3 (plain), then toss/hand that one as soon as they're done #2. Tey key is that the dog has to want the treats or be excited enough to quickly gulp whatever they have in order to get to the next one.

Return to “Health Issues”