Apple Cider Vinegar on red, irritated paws?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Apple Cider Vinegar on red, irritated paws?

Postby Annika » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:18 pm

Hey all,

For some time now, Piper's been battling itchy feet, with red in between her toes. It flares up more some times than other times. I can't figure out what's causing it....could possibly be a local pollen that we didn't have in Chicago, I dunno. She licks them sometimes. They smell kinda yeasty and are making her bedding smell yeasty too. Our upstairs has a faint "doggy" smell now and it never has before. Piper is such a clean, lovely pet....it's just her footies that smell!

I want to help her out without some kind of nasty cream that she's going to track all over the house. I also don't want medicated shampoo that she has to stand in for ten minutes....Piper will NOT stand in water for ten minutes. lol (She is allergic to water, it burns her skin and causes her horrible nightmares. lol) I have heard that ACV is good for things like this. If I put some on her feet, would I dilute it, or put it on full strength? If she licks it off, it's ok for her to ingest, right? I would probably apply it with soaked cotton balls, as she hates spritzers/sprayers.

Could I also maybe give her something orally to help with inflammation....benadryl?
Annika
Addicted to PBF

Re: Apple Cider Vinegar on red, irritated paws?

Postby Rinalia » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:20 pm

Instead of topical application, you can help clear up yeast infections by giving her apple cider vinegar orally. Mina gets between 1-2 tbs daily, though I don't know if that is standard. It is what works for Mina, though. :)

I suppose you could do a mixture of apple cider vinegar, water, aloe vera and lavendar and rinse her feet with it. Maybe a 1:3 ratio of apple cider vinegar to water...
Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Annika » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:27 pm

Rinalia wrote:Instead of topical application, you can help clear up yeast infections by giving her apple cider vinegar orally. Mina gets between 1-2 tbs daily, though I don't know if that is standard. It is what works for Mina, though. :)

I suppose you could do a mixture of apple cider vinegar, water, aloe vera and lavendar and rinse her feet with it. Maybe a 1:3 ratio of apple cider vinegar to water...

Orally, for skin issues? I never would have thought! When you say it works for Mina, what does it do for her? Does she have red itchy skin at times too?

Do you add it to her water?

I'm looking online and seeing everything from 1:3 to pure, topically speaking. Just wondering if anyone here has had success with it and how they used it. Thanks Rinalia!

Looking forward to hearing more. :)
Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Annika I had posted an article in a thread way back, but cannot find it on the search function
it was titled
Many uses of apple cidar vinegar, maybe it will work for you(it was posted in health section) and it would be helpful to you/Piper at this time
here are a lot of links you can check out(my dial up is too slow to go thru all of these links)
You should get the apple cidar vinegar from the health food store, as it has what is called the 'Mother; in it

http://www.bing.com/search?q=many+uses+ ... &form=QBRE

Mtlu and I had potsed some allergy info in a thread on here a few days ago that might also be of interest to you, let me see if I can find that
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Cherry » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:56 pm

ACV made the yeast issues worse for Cherry and I've seen it happen to a couple other people so watch out for that. You can always get Malaseb wipes for her feet instead of shampoo. Or put the shampoo on her (it is really thick, not foamy) and just wipe it off really good with a wet towel. I do that when we are in a hurry. Good luck!!! Cherry's paws get really bad, I know how you feel!
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:03 pm

I add it to their food. It depends on size and how prone to yeast they are but Franny can get up to 2 tablespoons per day. Start with just a teaspoon each meal and work up though.I also increase the dog's fish oil dose (or start giving them canned salmon) as well.

Get the real ACV (either braggs or another natural brand) NOT flavored ACV.

My lay-person's reason why it works is that it makes their skin just a little too acidic for the yeast and creates an environment that is unfriendly to the yeasties.

good luck!!!!
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby heartbullies » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:04 am

I'm way too tired to retype this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=126596#p1691543

lol

I know what you mean-- B is luckily not a stinky dog (other than the occasional dietary mishap and resultant, er, issues) but his feet have recently gotten fragrant and are spreading the kind of yeasty/dog smell around! Ick. We opted for the sprays b/c they were clear and watery, I can just spread/massage it into his paws and leave it a bit damp. No gooey ointment, etc.
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby Libby » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:01 am

I put a few tablespoons a day in the dog's water bowl, so my dogs get it every day too.
Libby
Addicted to PBF

Re:

Postby Rinalia » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:28 pm

Annika wrote:Orally, for skin issues? I never would have thought! When you say it works for Mina, what does it do for her? Does she have red itchy skin at times too?

Mina's yeast infections manifest as tear stains, "pinkish toe nails" and her paw hair turning pinkish as well. THankfully she doesn't get the itchies.

I add the apple cider vinegar to her food - I don't want it too diluted, so I don't add it to her water (which she also shares with Celeste).

It took about a month for the infection to noticeably clear up. You could try it in her food for a few weeks and monitor improvements. Or you could try the rinse instead. If I go even a few days without adding it, the yeasties come back full force.

Whether you choose a diluted or undiluted rinse is up to you - acv isn't going to hurt her. I like diluted b/c it smells a little better (also why I add lavendar essential oil, which is also soothing/invigorating).
Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Annika » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:46 pm

I have gone to Whole Foods and bought raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar with The Mother in it! :)

I gave it to Piper yesterday and today, 1 TB each day. She doesn't like it but she eats it, what a good girl. She kind of eats her food slowly and licks it a little, then chugs water when she's done. It probably burns her nose to smell it....it sure burns mine! lol

I hope this helps her. I would love her poor little red feet to get better naturally, without pain-in-the-rear chemical, topical stuff. :thumbsup:
Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby concreterose » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:36 pm

I have been giving apple cider vinegar (I like Braggs) for a few years now. I've noticed a marked decrease in V's paw licking over the last two years. They get a teaspoon twice per day in their food...during allergy season, I double V's amount.

A really good foot spray (at least for her) is a mixture of witch hazel (I like Thayers because it's alcohol free, which can be too drying to the paws and pads), aloe vera jelly and a little bit of water...probably 3:1 witch hazel to water.
Shake it really good before spraying.

I also agree with Fransterdoo in going heavy on the fish oil. It really does wonders for keeping the skin nice and lubricated and keeping down inflammation. I give V as much as four times a maintenance dosage when her allergies are acting up, and it does make a difference.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby pblove » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:02 pm

concreterose wrote:I have been giving apple cider vinegar (I like Braggs) for a few years now. I've noticed a marked decrease in V's paw licking over the last two years. They get a teaspoon twice per day in their food...during allergy season, I double V's amount.

A really good foot spray (at least for her) is a mixture of witch hazel (I like Thayers because it's alcohol free, which can be too drying to the paws and pads), aloe vera jelly and a little bit of water...probably 3:1 witch hazel to water.
Shake it really good before spraying.

I also agree with Fransterdoo in going heavy on the fish oil. It really does wonders for keeping the skin nice and lubricated and keeping down inflammation. I give V as much as four times a maintenance dosage when her allergies are acting up, and it does make a difference.

great info on the foot spray Mil
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Noriko525 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks for the info! I've tried the ACV before but didn't see any changes so stopped (Annika, Pearl does the same thing when the ACV is in her food...). I guess we just need to give it more time. Also, the fish oil is something I should try, Pearl has very dandruffy skin all the time. She's currently bald around the eyes and nose from this past allergy season and can stink pretty bad at times. I was bathing her frequently just to keep down on the amount of stuff irritating her skin but now that fall has hit and allergy season is about done, its time to restore her coat so I'm going to try the stuff mentioned here.

Do you guys use Salmon oil?
Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby pblove » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:37 pm

I buy human fish oil caps 1200 mg
and alternate with salmon oil
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:31 pm

awesome thread.

Jake's feet are just awful (red, he is licking, and hair is missing). Can't have that. Plus, we have a tournament in 2 weeks! I have been doing the ACV but will up the Salmon oil and make him some of that spay Mil spoke about
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues