Signs of a food allergy?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
twotanks
Newborn Bully

Re: Signs of a food allergy?

Postby twotanks » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:39 pm

Yah, unfortunately my vet only wants me to use interseptor or sentinal and I am not a big fan of sentinal. I am going to get some natural balance allergy food (one that doesn't have most of the common dog allergy things in it) and start switching him over.
He is going to the vet on Monday and I will ask her to look at his skin and if she thinks it is a food allergy I will get her recommendation on what to start doing. But until then I feel like I can't just do nothing. I actually really hope it is a skin infection or something so I can just treat it and be done with it but if it is a food allergy I am up for the challenge.

I am actually sort of embarrassed to bring him to the vet because he is in such bad condition. I know that is WHY you bring dogs to the vet because when all else fails they are the experts but I feel so bad for letting it get this bad. I originally just thought it was a flea allergy so I just tried to soothe it, not treat it. Plus he has a bite on his face from another dog when he came to work with me last week and probably more scars from dog bites from before he was my dog. This little guy has had a tough life before I took him in as my own and I just want to try real hard for him to get better and comfortable but it has been a rough road. I will give him a lot of credit though, he has been bitten numerous times by other dogs, had severe itching, confined to a crate for most of a day (before me,) and left in a car for hours (before me) and still has never once showed any sort of retaliation against another dog and still is just eager to learn and be a good boy. :inlove:

twotanks
Newborn Bully

Postby twotanks » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:44 am

So I forgot to update yall on Gauge's itchyness. He went to the vet and she determined that he was itchy because he is severely allergic to fleas and had a skin infection. He was put on an antibiotic and a steroid to get rid of it. It worked well and he was itch free for 2 weeks after his meds were done. He is now itchy again and about to go back to the vet because his skin looks bad again. I feel like there will be no end to the minor health problems this dog will have. I haven't seen a flea for a very very long time(on the dogs or anywhere in the house.) She agrees that because he has sensitive skin and he is a pit bull which are prone to skin issues that having him on an allergy food is probably for the best so he is on natural balance now and both my dogs do wonderfully on it. He also has a sensitive stomach so every time he has to take a pill he also needs to eat some pepto bismol.

Anyone else have dogs with major skin issues like this? What do you do to soothe it or prevent it besides constant antibiotics? I tried benedryl and gold bond powder today and hopefully that will at least prevent him from scratching his skin raw.

twotanks
Newborn Bully

Postby twotanks » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:47 am

oh and here's a cute picture of my little man Gauge.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:37 pm

If he has red bumps and scabs he likely has a skin infections, and chances are good its only going to get worse, so get him to the vet Monday, don't make him suffer another 2 weeks. The infection is very possibly from the fleas, even though they've been gone for a month, so wait until you get this issue resolved before pursuing food allergies or you can just confuse everything. Allergies are so complicated and so individual to every dog that you really need to do things one step at a time. Trust me, I know... my dog was allergy tested TWICE and had been through a failed food trial before I finally figured out he was allergic to the flavorings in heartguard, and everything else with beef in it.

If you don't get rid of the secondary infections, you'll never know if the food worked or not. Your pup cannot fight the infections off on his own at a normal rate because of the allergies crippling his immune system. It will take longer to get rid of the infections without medical help, and chances are higher that your pup will fail his food trial if you give up too soon because you aren't seeing improvements. Even with help fighting infections, it can take 3 MONTHS to see improvement with a limited ingredient diet... you have to be strict, you have to be thorough, and you have to be patient.

Don't waste your money on an allergy food until you KNOW you can do it right... this means revolution for flea/heartworm prevention, and NOTHING ELSE but the chosen food goes into your dogs mouth. One heartguard pill will make my dog itch for 2-3 weeks... longer if he gets secondary infections.

The blood test for food allergies is worthless, don't waste your money.

Since your pup is so young, food allergies are higher on the list, so do take the time to treat all the infections and do things right. Even with the help of a dermatologist it took nearly a year to finally figure out my Romeo's allergies... he started getting skin infections around 7 months of age too...

twotanks
Newborn Bully

Postby twotanks » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:56 pm

Did you read my post at all?

I said I brought him to the vet and I gave him meds. The meds lasted a month and a half and he was in the clear until 2 weeks after they were done and now he is itchy again. I can do everything under the sun to get rid of the fleas but if he gets one or 2 bites and scratches himself raw what am I supposed to do to prevent infection?

You are making it seem like I am neglecting my dog which is unfair. I am feeding him natural balance because the vet thinks because he is doing great on it that I should keep him on that and because the pit bulls she sees in this area seem to be prone to all sorts of allergies, and it will be good for his skin. I have spent more time talking to my vet these past 2 months than I bet most of you have ever. She has been really understanding and helpful and I have had my dog on a full cocktail of medications because of his allergies.

I guess I can just ask my vet how to prevent skin infections or him scratching too much or soothe his skin but I wanted to know if any of you had any recommendations that I can try before Monday since it is 2 days away.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:17 pm

Whoah Whoah easy killer! lol miss kiwi means no harm she might have missed the time line of events somewhere but she's a good lady:))

but to kind of dog pile here, there are so many people with allergic dogs here they do have good advice

one of the problems you might have here too is a lot of advice and then you go to your vet and that advice makes sense too, but keep in mind they would not be telling you if they did not believe it to be good advice

one other tid bit, I had a very sick dog before and it was like one step forward 2. Steps back for a while. My husband were at wits end. We would fight about the dgs health for crying out loud because we were so frustrated, just breathe my friend you'll get there eventually.

If you do decide to do the non flavored medication, you could always ask your vet fora Rx and get drs foster and smith to fill it or something. Your vet really should not take offense. They do go to school to learn those things, 2nd opinions even over the internet can be beneficial. :thumbsup:

twotanks
Newborn Bully

Postby twotanks » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:37 pm

My experience on this forum has been really negative and judgmental. I feel like all the regulars just attack someone with a low post count just to "show off" their knowledge and that is why I reacted that way. I have a low tolerance for things like that. I am already at my breaking point caring about my dog's health and well being, I don't need someone telling me what I am doing wrong w/o even reading my post.

The reason I joined this forum was because there are a lot of people here and maybe with a question like this I could get a wide variety of opinions because there is probably a good percentage of people here who have dogs with flea allergies. Not because I don't want to bother taking my dog to the vet in 2 days.

The food allergy is a done deal. I am asking now 2 months later if anyone has any suggestions for preventing itchiness from flea bites in a dog with a flea allergy or preventing skin infections from one (or a few, who knows) flea bite.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:22 pm

Probably not much help, but I agree with Pitbull lady there are a ton of members here who are dealing with allergies. I'm one of them.

I can't think of anything that would help, other than not getting flea bites, which is easier said than done. My guess is as long as the bites continue then there will be an issue with possible secondary infection. For my dog with food and environmental allergies(grass) I bath him in allergy shampoo weekly and wipe him down to remove pollens after coming inside. I don't think that would work in your case. Someone may have better suggestions though.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:00 pm

twotanks wrote:Did you read my post at all?

Yup, sure did... but I didn't read the most recent update until after I'd posted my usual schpeal... I've been here for forever, and its unusual for me to miss an allergy-related thread. Sorry 'bout that.

Um, my #1 advice.. DITCH the flavored medications, switch to revolution. Beef is the #1 food allergy of dogs, and if your pup is still having issues, chances are REALLY GOOD you aren't seeing improvement because you are continuing to give him an allergy-inducing pill once a month.

Trust me, I did it to my own dog, and I was working with a board certified dermatologist when I did it... it happens.

So sorry your pup is miserable... its SO frustrating, and I've been there, and I understand. Its a LOT of work that very few people understand unless they've been there too. Giving romeo, a very food motivated dog, a strict food trial was harder than any class I took during vet school, and I was in vet school when I went through all this, so I had some good times for comparison!!

twotanks
Newborn Bully

Postby twotanks » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:51 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:
twotanks wrote:Did you read my post at all?

Yup, sure did... but I didn't read the most recent update until after I'd posted my usual schpeal... I've been here for forever, and its unusual for me to miss an allergy-related thread. Sorry 'bout that.

Yep, you responded politely the first time I posted this.

I honestly don't think he is allergic to beef and neither does his vet. He is however allergic to fleas and even though his comfortis is working and I see no live fleas on him, I saw flea dirt on my other dog which means there have been a couple. Really in a flea infested part of the country there is no way he will never get a flea bite again. Is he going to continue to get a skin infection every time he gets a few bites despite if they are able to live on him, let alone bite him once without dying?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:12 am

How do you know he's not allergic to beef if you haven't tried to test him? Has he been without beef for three months ever in his life? Dogs under 1 year of age are MUCH more likely to have food allergies, and beef is the number 1 food allergy... it doesn't make sense to me to just assume he's not. I do agree if you're seeing fleas/flea dirt, that you need to continue to fight the flea issue and be totally rid of it before attempting another food trial, as multiple issues confuse one another.

Advantix and Revolution will kill fleas before they have the opportunity to bite. Studies have been done that weigh fleas before and after being applied to the dogs skin to determine if they had the opportunity to feed before dying.

Treat EVERY pet in the household with a quality flea preventative every month and you'll keep the fleas out of the house.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:44 am

Pitbull-Lady wrote:Whoah Whoah easy killer! lol miss kiwi means no harm she might have missed the time line of events somewhere but she's a good lady:))
they would not be telling you if they did not believe it to be good advice
:

and Miskiwi is also a vet. :)

twotanks
Newborn Bully

Postby twotanks » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:22 pm

I would like to step aside from the food allergy thing because I have been to the vet and the vet thinks it is a flea allergy. I don't think someone (even if they are a vet) is qualified to give me a definite answer over the internet without actually looking at my dog.

I still haven't gotten any answers so I am going to assume no one here has any. I know how to test for a food allergy. I am not going to switch him to another food and discontinue his medications because someone the internet said I should without even looking at my dog or addressing his real problem.

I know you are just trying to help misskiwi, and I appreciate that. But I feel as though my real question isn't being answered and I am being bombarded with random information about something else that has already been ruled out by my vet.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:39 pm

Twotanks... lay it on the line... what exactly is your real question? I would love to help, but I agree, something here is getting lost in translation, and maybe if you rephrase I can be a little more helpful and specific.

twotanks
Newborn Bully

Postby twotanks » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:58 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Twotanks... lay it on the line... what exactly is your real question? I would love to help, but I agree, something here is getting lost in translation, and maybe if you rephrase I can be a little more helpful and specific.

My dog has a flea allergy. He has been on antibiotics and pred because he got a skin infection from scratching too much. He is now off that medication but is on flea control(and has been this whole time.) Is there anything else I can do to help soothe his skin when he gets a few random flea bites? I have already done everything that can possibly be done to prevent and kill fleas in both my dogs and my house but I live in a warmer climate where fleas are a huge problem. I am sorry for repeating myself a bunch but I am trying to be as clear as I possibly can because I can't find any advice besides suck it up, your dog is going to always be itchy unless you move to alaska roflmao

I am going to the vet tomorrow and hopefully will get some advice there too.

Return to “Health Issues”