Dog not eating/drinking water

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
JamisPack
Adolescent Bully

Dog not eating/drinking water

Postby JamisPack » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:11 pm

Hi all,
My mom's 6 year old pit bull, with heart problems has refused food and water all day. His stool was normal this morning, but he threw up food this am and then threw up what looked like bright orange liquid a little bit ago after mom gave him his meds and a squirt of water from a syringe. HE threw up alot more liquid than he had just been given so we werent sure if it was bile or he had been drinking a little water we didnt see.

How long before you would be really concerned without drinking water. Not so much worried about the eating at this point but worried about him getting dehydrated. We thought maybe pedialyte by syringe tonight if he can keep it down and vet tomorrow unles he continues to vomit.

Just cant afford to jump the gun and pay emergency vet bill if he just has an upset tummy, but not sure!
This dog has Dialted Cardio-Myopathy and has maintained well for 3 years on meds, so we are overly careful with any symptom.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

msvette2u

Re: Dog not eating/drinking water

Postby msvette2u » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:18 pm

I'm not really sure...Pedialyte is not the best choice, water would be better.
If he cannot even hold down water (wait 2hrs before giving him a SIP) that's a problem, beyond just being dehydrated.
BTW, do not give him big drinks, 2-3 SIPS or LAPS would be okay. Then 20min. later give him 2-3 more LAPS/sips.
Repeat unless he vomits again.
I'd get him in if he vomits again, even after waiting 2hrs. and giving just sips. Could be something serious.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:19 pm

PS...how is he acting? His behavior could tell a lot more than the vomiting could.

JamisPack
Adolescent Bully

Postby JamisPack » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:29 pm

the syringe is small so it isnt much. MOm gave him a squirt about 20 mins ago and he kept it down. He is more subdued, not lethargic but laying around more than normal. But still jumped all on me when I went over there.
In reading up on dog vomiting/not drinking I saw where it said if the dog is on Digoxin (he is) you should take to the vet immediately because the dog needs "special treatment for the vomitting"
He kept his dogoxin and other meds downt his am, but not this pm, it was part of what he vommited.
I made an appointment for tomorrow am, for a walk in vet.

So water and not pedialyte for tonight would be better, every two hours if he keeps it down. Any worse we will go to E-vet, but they are not very good at the one we have :(

Thanks so much for replying so fast!! :)

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Yeh, pedialyte is a good idea in theory but plain ol' water will do the job for a lot less money (and possibly stomach upset).
If you give 1 syringe at a time, that should work. Try it every 20 min. or so :thumbsup:

nygemma
Matured Bully

Postby nygemma » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:26 pm

I hate to say this, but a dog who vomits and doesn't drink or eat, those are symptoms of kidney failure...
I hope to god that's not it, b/c kidney disease is terrible...sorry, Hope the dog is better

JamisPack
Adolescent Bully

Postby JamisPack » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:24 am

Thanks for the advice! Mom gave him a syringe of water every hour or so all night - and no more vommiting. He woke up Sunday am and ate his rice/chicken with his meds. He also drank water and ate (mom fed him little bits off and on) throughout the day.
She is calling the vet this morning to be sure, but he seemed to be back to normal, so we are hoping it was just a sour stomach.

He did have full blood work about a month ago as part of his yearly heart exam and he was all clear and normal... It is just like pins and needles becasue he has done so good for so long and we all know that is not going to hold up forever :(

Thanks again!!!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:59 am

Just for future knowledge, if your dog is taking furosemide for his heart, he will dehydrate much faster and more severely than an average dog who feels a little punky for a day or two... so vomiting and not drinking are much more serious for your pup than for a pup not taking that medication.

If your pup is acting himself again, no worries, but its something to keep in mind for the future.

JamisPack
Adolescent Bully

Postby JamisPack » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:48 pm

Great info to have, that must have been why it said online if the dog is taking digoxin to get to vet immediatly. Thank you and we will continue to be very vigilant. I think mom giving him the water all night long kept that from happening and the next day he was better, he has continued to eat and drink normally since then, thank goodness.

Thank you for the reply!

Return to “Health Issues”