Arthritis supplements?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Arthritis supplements?

Postby Stormi » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:26 pm

Jack has some mild arthritis in his lower spine. He's had it for some time, and when he was initially diagnosed he was put on anti-inflamatories which didn't really have any noticeable effect. Its not really been a huge issue for him and he rarely shows any sign of it, but in the past couple weeks he's really been having trouble getting up on to the bed, in the car... anything that requires him climbing or jumping upwards. I don't want to put him back on prescription meds since they can lead to liver problems, and again, I didn't find them all too useful anyway. Friends have suggested trying supplements, but I'm drawing a blank on which ones are best for bone/joint issues. I recall someone saying glucosamine, does this sound right? Any other tips?

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Re: Arthritis supplements?

Postby Libby » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:30 pm

My girl Gypsy has hip dysplasia and arthritis in both her knees. I give her glucosamine/chondroiten+MSM every day, as well as fish oil, vitamin C, flax seed oil, and occassionally throw in a bit of olive oil.

Right now I've cut back, and give her Nupro every other day in place of the other suppliments.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:43 pm

Fish oil for sure and vit. c. I use ester-c which is buffered with calcium and easier on the stomach.

I also like the Glyco-Flex supplements. A lot of people like Synflex too. Both can be found inexpensively at amazon.com.

Right now I am giving a human gluco/chond/msm supplement by the NOW brand. Much cheaper :) You can open the capsules and sprinkle it on her food or wrap it in a piece of cheese or some other treat.

This is the one I use: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Glucosam ... s/581?at=0

They also sell a liquid version, which has vit c in it and may be easier to administer: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Liquid-G ... l/587?at=0

(I like to use iherb.com because they are cheap and have super fast shipping!)

A human dose is 3 caps a day, so I give Stella (about 50lbs) 1-2/day and my Boston 1/day.

Keeping her nice and lean is of the utmost importance too :thumbsup:

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:02 pm

Perfect, thank you!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:48 pm

After we had to pull Franny b/c of a limp, We've been using Glyo-Flex. We feel it's made a huge difference in how she's feeling and acting.

sueb
Addicted to PBF

Postby sueb » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:13 am

Ketra - how are you administering all of that? I assume you mix the oils and empty the capsules into the food, but how many pills are you giving them? Are you doing half in the morning and half at night? And, if you don't mind my asking, about how much are you spending a week on all of that?

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:20 am

Oops, hope you weren't waiting too long for my response, Sueb!

I give human grade suppliments, just FYI.

I give Gypsy two of the glucosamine/chondroiten+MSM pills, and grind them up using a pill grinder. I give three of the fish oil gel pills, and they disolve in the warm water I add into her food. I put in three vitamin C pills, also ground up. The flaxseed are also gel pills, I throw two of those in. I give a tablespoon of olive oil once or twice a week.

The nupro is a powder and it just coats the kibble. It was actually suggested to just add it in with the pills every other day instead of cutting pack on her suppliments, which makes sense.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:23 am

Ah, forgot to answer the cost question lol

Weeelll, since I give these suppliments to ALL of my dogs....I don't know weekly, but I'd guess it rounds out to probably around $60 every month and a half for all the suppliments. I'm not sure on the Nupro, since I just won it on the PBRC auction. It seems to be going quickly just using it on Gypsy and Mexi, though, so I'm not sure I'll keep up on that. Its about $43 shipped at regular cost.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 pm

Ketra, where do you get your supplements?? I use human supplements also. I use www.iherb.com and have been very pleased with their prices and service. However, if their is something cheaper, I'm all for saving more money :))

I have to squirt the fish oil on my Boston's food and sprinkle the gluco caps on something or just shove them down her throat lol but Stella eats all supplements like they are treats so I just toss them on the ground while she's eating her dinner and she thinks they are nomz lol

sueb
Addicted to PBF

Postby sueb » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanks, Ketra!

Do you actually notice a difference?
Are you happy with the Nupro?
Does vitamin c help with arthritis? I knew about the other stuff, but not the vitamin c.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:59 pm

Vit C can help with arthritis, yes. It helps reduce inflammation throughout the body and it also helps form collagen.

The thing is, it seems to take quite a bit of it to help with arthritis, and so dosing becomes tricky.

http://www.doctoryourself.com/arthritis_II.html

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:26 pm

WackyJacki wrote:Ketra, where do you get your supplements?? I use human supplements also. I use http://www.iherb.com and have been very pleased with their prices and service. However, if their is something cheaper, I'm all for saving more money :))

I have to squirt the fish oil on my Boston's food and sprinkle the gluco caps on something or just shove them down her throat lol but Stella eats all supplements like they are treats so I just toss them on the ground while she's eating her dinner and she thinks they are nomz lol

I use human grade supplements as well. I get them from Iherb also. I did notice when I ordered a few weeks ago that they had raised their prices a little bit, so I have been looking for some place cheaper. I use Osteo-Bi flex for arthritis in the hopes of reducing an occurence of arthritis in his bad knee. I buy that at Sam's club.

Sue....I just throw all his pills in his dish and mix them in. His morning meal he gets yogurt and night he gets a little canned food. I mix the pills with that and he eats them with his food :)

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:30 am

I get most of it from Walmart, actually lol What I can't find at Walmart I go to...ah, I can't remember the name of the store. Its a natural remedy vitamin store they have in the mall here. I get dried kelp from them and give that sometimes, but the dogs don't really like the taste so I don't give it very often.

I've only been giving the Nupro for a couple weeks and so far haven't noticed a difference. It says on the container it can take up to three months to show results, though.

I have noticed a difference when I give the suppliments and when I don't. I've stopped for a few months before, in the midst of moving, and it seemed Gypsy and Mexi both started to move slower. Mostly I just notice how much shinier their coats are when they are taking them!

sueb
Addicted to PBF

Postby sueb » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:14 pm

If I mixed pills into Zeus's food, I'd find a clean dish with a bunch of pills on the bottom of it after he was done. lol

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:38 pm

sueb wrote:If I mixed pills into Zeus's food, I'd find a clean dish with a bunch of pills on the bottom of it after he was done. lol

Well, its actually pretty easy to 'trick' them. I put hot water in the bowl, then the gel cap pills, and they are just about desolved by the time I give the food to the girls.

I also put either a tablespoon of canned, sardines, or olive oil in to flavor it.

Return to “Health Issues”