Fleas. Please help!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Fleas. Please help!

Postby IloveBlu » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:16 pm

Despite my best efforts, it seems Blu has fleas. I only see about one or two of them at a time. He is on Frontline Plus. We bought the spray for the couch and carpet and I am currently washing his bedding in hot water. What else can I do? He also just had a flea and tick bath. Does ACV or garlic really work? Can i give him his next Frontline treatment about a week early?

msvette2u

Re: Fleas. Please help!

Postby msvette2u » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:20 pm

I know some folks do not like it but I've never had a bad experience with Biospot and it works much better than some of the others, apparently some fleas have become immune to Frontline and those.
We've used Biospot on young puppies as well and not had issues.
I'd see about changing flea meds instead of using the same stuff.
Biospot shouldn't be used if you have a cat who likes to lay with or lick the dog.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:29 pm

Biospot only kills adult fleas unless they've added a second ingredient I'm not aware of...

The fleas you see on your dog are only 1% of the problem. You also need to treat the environment, so vacuum like you're obsessed and wash all bedding twice weekly. 3 months of an effective topical that controls multiple life stages and you should be done with the infestation... my favorite is revolution.

IloveBlu
Matured Bully

Postby IloveBlu » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:53 am

Does it matter where you apply the Frontline? I know it says between the shoulder blades but it seems the tail area is the problem. Can I apply half of it down there?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:12 am

When applied properly, the frontline is absorbed into the oil glands and will cover the entire body.

The biggest problem I see is people apply the frontline to the fur instead of parting the fur and applying it to the skin. If you want to place half near the front of the dog and half near the back, thats fine, just make sure to get as little on the fur as possible, and make sure your dog doesn't lick it off.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:26 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:When applied properly, the frontline is absorbed into the oil glands and will cover the entire body.

The biggest problem I see is people apply the frontline to the fur instead of parting the fur and applying it to the skin. If you want to place half near the front of the dog and half near the back, thats fine, just make sure to get as little on the fur as possible, and make sure your dog doesn't lick it off.

The problem I have is that my dogs' fur is very short & tight to their skin, so it isn't really possible to get the Frontline down to the skin. I do my best, but with limited success.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:59 pm

Sarah wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:When applied properly, the frontline is absorbed into the oil glands and will cover the entire body.

The problem I have is that my dogs' fur is very short & tight to their skin, so it isn't really possible to get the Frontline down to the skin. I do my best, but with limited success.

I have the same problem. I do part the fur, but it runs eveyrwhere as there is not enough fur to keep it there .

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:03 pm

shoot forgot the rest of my psot
I usually only use Frontline once a year and that is in Oct because the fleas and ticks are the worst in Oct, plus we go to several dog events that month and Paige is exposed to so many other dogs at the events.
I use the minced garlic and vinegar the rest of the summer and no fleas here.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:32 pm

Place one drop, and move to another spot a half inch away... you may have to coat the entire neck, but you MUST get the liquid on the skin.

Thats another reason I like revolution. Its alcohol based and the volume is half what the other products use.

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:33 pm

One word: Comfortis.

twotanks
Newborn Bully

Postby twotanks » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:32 pm

RuffMuttK9z wrote:One word: Comfortis.

yep. I have had a hell of a time getting rid of fleas and this is the only preventative that has worked. You need to get it from a vet.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:49 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Place one drop, and move to another spot a half inch away... you may have to coat the entire neck, but you MUST get the liquid on the skin.

Thats another reason I like revolution. Its alcohol based and the volume is half what the other products use.

I put on surgical gloves, part the fur and dab a drop, move over, dap, move around dap till it is gone, but it still leaves a greasy spot on her fur.
I will only get my HW and Flea/tick from my vets and both my vets only sell Frontline and the new one that begins with a "V"

TacoFlavoredKisses
Bully Ambassador

Postby TacoFlavoredKisses » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:05 pm

What is Comfortis? I am having a hell of a time with Dallas fleas.

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:52 pm

Fleas have been awful in the Dallas area this year for some reason. I know a lot of people that are having problems that have never had problems with fleas before.

Comfortis is a chewable tablet that you give your dog once a month. I have no idea how it works, but it does. And you don't have to worry about baths/swimming reducing the effects of it. It's not cheap but it works.

dannyd1986
Newborn Bully

Postby dannyd1986 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:32 am

RuffMuttK9z wrote:One word: Comfortis.

true it works great, but it doesnt control ticks... so you can also get a tick collar with the pill! I ust Vectra 3d which I havent had a problem with it!

Return to “Health Issues”