Worried about weight issues.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Worried about weight issues.

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Titan is 7 months old and weighs in at 63lbs already. His bloodline is full of monsters so I knew he was bound to be a big one. I just don't want him to be unhealthy and overweight. How much do you guys suggest I should be feeding him?? Also, I have a 5 month old who is 34lbs.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Re: Worried about weight issues.

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:41 pm

what are you feeding? (that's always a important factor, at least I think so.) And how much excersise are you giving him, like walks, tossing the ball, and what not?

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Well, I asked in your gallery thread what bloodline does he have? How big were his parents and other dogs in his family?

I think Maili was around Denali's weight at her age. You should be able to easily feel the ribs of your dogs and see the last two. Titan looked a little chubby from the gallery pics but less food and more exercise should help.

What are you feeding him and how much?

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:51 pm

PaigeJ wrote:Well, I asked in your gallery thread what bloodline does he have? How big were his parents and other dogs in his family?

I think Maili was around Denali's weight at her age. You should be able to easily feel the ribs of your dogs and see the last two. Titan looked a little chubby from the gallery pics but less food and more exercise should help.

What are you feeding him and how much?

We are feeding them both Wellness. They get 2 cups a day sometimes 3 depending. Mainly 2 cups. His father is about 70-80lbs and his mother is well over 90lbs. The grandparents are just as big. I have pictures of his parents and geez. Every time I see them I think wow they are huge hah.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:55 pm

wow..that's big..really big. Two cups a day isn't much for a growing puppy. How much are you excersising the puppies?

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:58 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote:wow..that's big..really big. Two cups a day isn't much for a growing puppy. How much are you excersising the puppies?

It really depends. Usually at around 9am we feed them a cup. 4pm another cup. 9pm another cup. Titan usually has 3 a day and Denali has two. She just doesnt eat as much as he does. We take them both to the park 2-3 times a week. Either to playing or walk around it once or twice. The park is real big. They play outside each day. Running etc. They also get walks every day.

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:04 pm

Well it seems like he has quite a lot of growing to do still. How overweight is he now? Do you have a good side shot of him standing?

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:09 pm

this was from about 3 weeks ago.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:14 pm

Image this is daddy

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Your dog (and certainly the older dog) do look overweight, according to the standard tests for adult dogs (see the thread above in the stickies: you're looking for a tuck at the waist, and you should be able feel the ribs without pressing through a layer of fat). But for a 7 month dog, I'm not sure if the rules hold, so it wouldn't hurt to call your vet and ask. Absolute food amounts aren't all that helpful for comparing one dog's intake to the other (as a comparison, I feed my 52 lb male 2.5 cups of wellness super5 a day, but he's quite active). The tuck and the ribs are a lot more helpful. Obesity is common and harmful for dogs, so keeping him lean is a great idea. If you and your vet agree he needs to lose a bit of weight, you don't need to go to a diet food--just cut back on the kibble by a small amount (start with 1/4 to 1/2 cup a day less if you're feeding 2 cups/day), and increase the exercise slowly as well.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:46 pm

tiva wrote:Your dog (and certainly the older dog) do look overweight, according to the standard tests for adult dogs (see the thread above in the stickies: you're looking for a tuck at the waist, and you should be able feel the ribs without pressing through a layer of fat). But for a 7 month dog, I'm not sure if the rules hold, so it wouldn't hurt to call your vet and ask. Absolute food amounts aren't all that helpful for comparing one dog's intake to the other (as a comparison, I feed my 52 lb male 2.5 cups of wellness super5 a day, but he's quite active). The tuck and the ribs are a lot more helpful. Obesity is common and harmful for dogs, so keeping him lean is a great idea. If you and your vet agree he needs to lose a bit of weight, you don't need to go to a diet food--just cut back on the kibble by a small amount (start with 1/4 to 1/2 cup a day less if you're feeding 2 cups/day), and increase the exercise slowly as well.

The vet mentioned it once that he could lose a bit of weight but wasn't too worried about it. We drop them both off this saturday to have their hips looked at so I will be sure to ask again.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:48 pm

ilovedenalintitan wrote:Image

this was from about 3 weeks ago.

This dog is borderline obese... decrease his food intake by 25% and cut out all non-essential training treats.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:00 pm

What about bones? Should i not give them to him for awhile? I feel like a complete failure right about now. I dont like that I am slowly killing my dog. I will cut down his food starting tomorrow!

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:10 pm

I use chopped up carrot for a training treat. My dogs love fruit and veggies, so there are treats you can give him that will please him w/out many calories.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:16 pm

That sounds like a great idea. Titan isn't too picky about food so I will try fruits and veggies as treats instead of what we have been using for them. I am cutting back on the food tomorrow as well. Hopefully this will help him.

Return to “Health Issues”