Worried about weight issues.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Midnight Sun APBT
Matured Bully

Re: Worried about weight issues.

Postby Midnight Sun APBT » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:21 pm

only thing you need to be aware of with bones, is the marrow. Cooked or raw, there are HUGE amounts of calories in the marrow.... and I mean HUGE... lmao...

so either hollowed out bones, or in moderation

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:58 pm

ilovedenalintitan wrote:What about bones? Should i not give them to him for awhile? I feel like a complete failure right about now. I dont like that I am slowly killing my dog. I will cut down his food starting tomorrow!

You shouldn't feel like a failure at all. Weight can sneak up on you. At least know you are aware

BullyBud
Bully Ambassador

Postby BullyBud » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:59 pm

One thing that worked for me was filling the marrow bones with a mixture of plain non-fat yogurt mixed with a small amount of kibble and freezing it. That gives them a low calorie treat in the bone. It worked for my girl and she loves it.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:02 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:
ilovedenalintitan wrote:What about bones? Should i not give them to him for awhile? I feel like a complete failure right about now. I dont like that I am slowly killing my dog. I will cut down his food starting tomorrow!

You shouldn't feel like a failure at all. Weight can sneak up on you. At least know you are aware

In a way I do because I want the best for him. I always knew he was going to be bigger than most pitbulls due to his family all being huge. I just didnt know how big he was getting until I kept looking at him and seeing him grow so fast. Every time we take him to the vet he keeps gaining weight even once we reduced the food.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:12 pm

Just peeked at the pups, they are adorable!
But yeh, Titan does look a little chubby!
Do you measure it out with a cup measure, or just guess and put it in the bowl?

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:31 pm

Don't feel like a failure! You're doing something about it, which is the key thing. I was astonished to learn in a recent thread here that nearly a quarter of pitties develop hip and elbow dysplasia. Keeping dogs lean, especially when they're young, really helps decrease the severity of these joint problems later in life.

Each morning, I measure out 2.5 cups of food (wellness kibble, plus some frozen poached liver, and some frozen veggies) for Vanya and put it in a bowl in the fridge. Throughout the day, all his meals, training treats, rewards, etc come from that bowl. I give most of his food during training and only a little for meals. When you're trying to get weight off a dog, it's helpful to keep the total volume of food stable, but replace about 1/4 of the daily kibble ration with the same volume of green beans or carrots. Frozen veggies such as green beans and carrots work well; you don't have to cook them and they thaw in the fridge just fine.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:08 pm

tiva wrote:Don't feel like a failure! You're doing something about it, which is the key thing. I was astonished to learn in a recent thread here that nearly a quarter of pitties develop hip and elbow dysplasia. Keeping dogs lean, especially when they're young, really helps decrease the severity of these joint problems later in life.

Each morning, I measure out 2.5 cups of food (wellness kibble, plus some frozen poached liver, and some frozen veggies) for Vanya and put it in a bowl in the fridge. Throughout the day, all his meals, training treats, rewards, etc come from that bowl. I give most of his food during training and only a little for meals. When you're trying to get weight off a dog, it's helpful to keep the total volume of food stable, but replace about 1/4 of the daily kibble ration with the same volume of green beans or carrots. Frozen veggies such as green beans and carrots work well; you don't have to cook them and they thaw in the fridge just fine.

We ALWAYS measure a cup exactly each time we feed them. I will be starting to cut back to maybe 3/4 a cup a day and start using frozen veggies as you said. I never thought about using those as treats!! That is just brilliant. I think if I do measure out exactly 2.5 cups a morning and just feed that throughout the day that will help him a lot. I will be sure to do all of this.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:42 pm

No, you're not a failure. You're a rock star for double checking and wanting your pup to be healthy!!!!! Give yourself a pat on the back for asking a key question while your pup was still young enough to do something about it. Most people don't notice until they've blown a knee at 4-5 years of age, or they think its "cute" or even worse, that its all muscle...

Even my own Sheila dog packed on a few pounds the past few weeks... I didn't notice until the in-laws came in and commented on how "big" she looked. Oops, my dog got a bit of a belly, and no its not muscle, its fat... and in broadly built dogs like these, it can really sneak up on you unless you keep them extremely trim.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Sounds like you are doing all the right things!

We've had to cut Peanut's food - from 2 cups a day to 1.5 a day because she just got treated for tapeworms and all of a sudden she was getting pudgy!

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Shoshana wrote:Sounds like you are doing all the right things!

We've had to cut Peanut's food - from 2 cups a day to 1.5 a day because she just got treated for tapeworms and all of a sudden she was getting pudgy!

So far this morning I fed them both 3/4 of a cup. It is now 530 and they arent begging for lunch like they usually are so I decided I will just feed them once more today and thats it. =) Oh and the frozen veggies and fruits are ready to be used!

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:10 pm

ilovedenalintitan wrote:I always knew he was going to be bigger than most pitbulls due to his family all being huge.

Just because his blood line is filled with chubby bunnys doesn't mean he has to be!

Don't feel badly, I try very hard to maintain healthy weights for my dogs but male will chunk up with lack of exercise and food bingeing whenever allowed.

I took this girl from this

to this

in 2.5 months and she was significantly, dangerously over weight. (she is still over weight in those last two photos BTW)

I did this by removing all left overs. Treats were taken out of her daily meal portions. We worked out with swimming one-three times a week when lucky. Walking every couple days, and lots of obedience drills. Once enough weight was dropped to safely play on the spring pool we incorperated it as often as possible.

If I personally had more time I am sure we could have her fit and trim in stellar shape even faster. Of course in her case she's a 9 yr old rescue and stiff joints and probably not the healthiest cardio system so slow weight loss is likely better.

We're still working on conditioning Shamoo but sadly I am ridiculously busy and my mom (who adopted her) is a wonderfully loving home but not equipt for the amount of exercise Shamoo needs without my weekend visits. So.. Shammy may come and stay with me for a few weeks of boot camp soon. ;-)

What I am saying is your boy isn't that bad and its wonderful you notice now and are striving to make the change now.

Good luck!

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:01 pm

We all just had dinner. For myself I have a shrimp pasta dish I made. Mmmm. I gave the pups 1/2 cup of kibble and some veggies. It was funny watching them spit out the veggies until finally they tried it and liked it!! So I have another baggie ready for tomorrow. I hope this all works. How long should I start to notice a difference? I am going to continue to exercise him more often as well. I just work full time and cant always take him for real long walks during the day. Thank you all again and anymore advice will be great!

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:37 pm

Make sure your added exersize(sp) is low impact, while he's overweight and young.

Return to “Health Issues”