Wild hyper dog ! lol

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
The Fate
Adolescent Bully

Wild hyper dog ! lol

Postby The Fate » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:56 pm

I know they usually calm down a bit as they get older...
But do you think neuturing is the best bet ? Blue is just over exagerating hyper, like he can stand still for 2 secs !
Its bad to the point where I can invite people over around him because he just wants to jump all over them and nibble... Hes a complete spaz ive never seen any other dog this active.. Im just not a 100 percent with neutering..

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Re: Wild hyper dog ! lol

Postby Maryellen » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:02 pm

sounds like Blue needs more obedience training and house manners then neutering.. you should teach him to not jump on guests when they come over.. this way he is respectful of houseguests. having him on leash when they come over and treating for good behaviors like sit, down will help teach him. and not letting him jump on folks too is needed.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:03 pm

Neutering is not a cure all for energy, my 10 yr old male is neutered and still a spaz. Exercise, obedience, focusing that energy is the key. But neutering is not a bad idea if you have any qualms about the responsibilities of owning an intact dog.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:06 pm

also, him being intact means he can smell a female in heat , and that will aggrevate his current mange problem as he will be stressed out from smelling an intact female in the neighborhood .....

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:30 pm

How old is your dog?

Neutering will calm some behaviors, but energy level is not one of them. It reduces marking, roaming, and some aggression, but none of these is enough without proper training.

How much STRUCTURED exercise does your dog get each day? How structured is your daily schedule? If you aren't sure what I mean, its time to hop over to the behavior forum for some reading, and time to set aside an extra hour a day for walking, jogging, and structured game time (fetch, flirt pole, games where YOU decide what is happening and help your dog tire the brain as well as the body).

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:36 pm

Lol. Neutering didn't help my male one bit. We have done a lot of training and work for the year we have had him but even now he will get over amped if a lot of people come over or one after another and have to be put up as he just won't settle. He's gotten a ton better, we give him something to do, like a kong or goughnut to chew, hold or block him from greeting people at first, once he settles enough to go lay down then he is heavily rewarded through treats. Exercise may help, it doesn't seem to stop mine one bit, he's like a damn energizer bunny or something and people are his batteries.

Lollipup
Super Bully

Postby Lollipup » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:02 pm

I'm a little late to this, but...if your dog is anything like my huge Shepherd/Husky mix named Bailey, NO. Neutering will not do a darn thing.

Oh, and exercise only calms my dog down a little.

If your dog truly is a problem when it comes to hyperness, you're going to have to get creative. This is my opinion, and my opinion only. This is what works for my dog. Not everyone's dog.

What I do is exhaust the whole dog. Not just physically, but mentally, too. There's walking, jogging, playing, yes. But, I go over commands at least once every 2 days. If I do it everyday, he gets bored and his anxiety increases, making for even more hyperness, pacing, etc. I try to train him new things every few days, and if I haven't found a new trick, I'll mix it up. Maybe one day we'll spend 30 minutes on sit, down, stay, up, fetch. Two days later, we'll spend time on roll over, "dance" (spinning in circles), come, back up...we'll walk one day, a day or two later, we will jog. One day we will play fetch, the next, we will wrestle eachother and run around the house. Funny thing to witness, but it works.

Mental toys WORK. Have the dog work for his meals. Hide his food. Make him pick what hand you're holding food in. Train, train, train. Work on any and all commands, tricks, etc you want to teach him.

There are just so many things you can do to exhaust the whole dog. The ideas coming to me are overwhelming, so I can't explain fully what I'm trying to say, lol. I just hope that I am making sense.

You could tire the dog physically, but if he wasn't mentally tired, you'll still have a hyper dog. Well, that's the case with my Bailey. Everyday is a battle to outsmart him, and tire him out fully. But, all things considered, I adore him. He is the only dog with those issues, but I wouldn't trade him for the world. Good luck!

Lollipup
Super Bully

Postby Lollipup » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:10 pm

Oops, forgot to add...I have had my crazy hyper psycho of a dog for over a year. So, believe me, I KNOW what you're goign through. It took me awhile to get things figured out, especially since he seems extremely intelligent, as well.

I also got some training books. That's where I found loads of different tricks to teach him, and he really enjoys learning. If you can, put your dog to work. Even if it's just around the house. Teach him to shut lights, pick things up for you, etc. Almost every one of my dogs will shut the fridge for me, if I have my hands full. All I have to do is get close to the door, and say, "Shut." One (or more) will jump up on it and, although it slams, it shuts.

It's a little difficult to find things that work, but I'm sure you will. Just don't let it get you down! You and your dog can usually find something that works. :)

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:08 am

Some sure fire ways to get my pack tired are swimming, fetch, flirtpole and springpole. I've also found that just taking them on outings and car rides will wear them out, too.

The Fate
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Fate » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:52 pm

Lollipup wrote:I'm a little late to this, but...if your dog is anything like my huge Shepherd/Husky mix named Bailey, NO. Neutering will not do a darn thing.

Oh, and exercise only calms my dog down a little.

If your dog truly is a problem when it comes to hyperness, you're going to have to get creative. This is my opinion, and my opinion only. This is what works for my dog. Not everyone's dog.

What I do is exhaust the whole dog. Not just physically, but mentally, too. There's walking, jogging, playing, yes. But, I go over commands at least once every 2 days. If I do it everyday, he gets bored and his anxiety increases, making for even more hyperness, pacing, etc. I try to train him new things every few days, and if I haven't found a new trick, I'll mix it up. Maybe one day we'll spend 30 minutes on sit, down, stay, up, fetch. Two days later, we'll spend time on roll over, "dance" (spinning in circles), come, back up...we'll walk one day, a day or two later, we will jog. One day we will play fetch, the next, we will wrestle eachother and run around the house. Funny thing to witness, but it works.

Mental toys WORK. Have the dog work for his meals. Hide his food. Make him pick what hand you're holding food in. Train, train, train. Work on any and all commands, tricks, etc you want to teach him.

There are just so many things you can do to exhaust the whole dog. The ideas coming to me are overwhelming, so I can't explain fully what I'm trying to say, lol. I just hope that I am making sense.

You could tire the dog physically, but if he wasn't mentally tired, you'll still have a hyper dog. Well, that's the case with my Bailey. Everyday is a battle to outsmart him, and tire him out fully. But, all things considered, I adore him. He is the only dog with those issues, but I wouldn't trade him for the world. Good luck!

Yea we do all that...run, jog, catch, fetch, wrestle etc... Hes just way too hyper.. To the point when I come outside to feed him, he does jumps in the air and gets about eye to eye level spins lol... Its hilarous but at the same time embarssing cuz people will be like man your dogs wild ! ... The main reason i might think netuer will fix the issue is because his Privite area will always pop out and just hang there while hes excited... When hes calm it stays tucked lol
He maybe in heat, but I think he would be way to wild to do anything with a female dog. Im in a moving situation so I have to have my boy watch him for a month, he said he wont take him intill he calms a bit. so hopefully the neuter idea works

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:14 pm

I have one of those hyper maniacs here too
I will go to a new class or' show and go' and here has been the conversation many times:

op- jeeze, she is REALLY hyper isn't she?
me- yes and this is after she has been exercised today
op- how old is she
me- 7
op- oh O.K. then, she will calm down after she hits a year or so
me- ya think?? becasue she is 7 years old, not 7 months and hasn't slowed down yet

:tongue:

Return to “Health Issues”