Winter is coming!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
April
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Winter is coming!

Postby April » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:20 am

I live in New York and well we have snow and gets really cold during the winter.
I got my pup this summer and I have never had her in the cold let alone snow.
So is it safe to take her out when its like 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
It can get colder than that but I hope not, so is there anything I should give my pup she should be around 4-5 months when it might start snowing. I got her a puppy sweater but I might buy her some others as she grows.
So whats the max of cold can a pit bull puppy withstand? I just don't want her to be freezing cold.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Re: Winter is coming!

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:54 pm

I got winter coats and hoodies for both of mine. I wouldn't suggest leaving the dog outside alone for a long time if it's that cold.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:26 pm

I agree--don't leave them out alone (in the cold or any other time). But if you acclimate them to the cold by taking them out on walks with you in the fall and into the winter, they can put up with a lot of cold. One of our pits loves to be outside, and she lies on her outside bed in the sun, well down below zero (she's a nut). Her fur gets a lot thicker than our other pittie, who only likes the cold when he's running around as fast as possible. Unless he's romping with us, he wants to be lying right inside in front of the fire. So he never gets the thicker winter coat that the female develops, and he will only go out in the winter if it's for snowshoeing or skijoring--ie, moving fast. We get a lot of 20 below weather here in WI, and the dogs do fine without sweaters, if they're running. (But we do have booties for them, since very cold snow cuts their feet).

stache612
Newborn Bully

Postby stache612 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:08 am

My pit loves the snow especially running (I should say prancing) around in it like a deer. He doesn't seem to mind the temperature when he is playing in snow, but I am sure he gets cold because he is white so his feet get really red. I do have a coat for him when we walk and I use Musher's Secret on both my dogs paws. It's a natural wax that protect their paws from the salt on streets and sidewalks.

Return to “Health Issues”