Decided on food change. Ween or not Ween?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Decided on food change. Ween or not Ween?

Postby Waterjunkie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:38 am

I have done some searches on this but can't really sift through it all.

I have read the entire Top 5 thread over the last couple days and I am feeling guilty. My eyes have been open and I can't keep feeding my dog Science Diet. Ignorance is bliss I guess but all this time I thought I was doing my dogs a favor.

I've done some research and found a store that has Nature's Variety Praire and that sounds like it's probably a decent choice to start with.

I have a 13yr old pit/lab mix, a 10 year old pit, and a 6 month old puppy. The puppy hasn't seemed to really like her food anyway so I'm hoping she will be more interested in this.

My questions.
1. Do I need to ween them and how long?
2. Can I feed the puppy the same food as the adults and just up the amount based on their weight guidelines?

Amie

Re: Decided on food change. Ween or not Ween?

Postby Amie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:24 am

What breed is the puppy?

Unless the food specifically states it's for All Life Stages (Taste of the Wild and Canidae do this, probably others I can't think of) feed the age appropriate formulas.

In all cases, weening is generally best. Some animals don't have an issue with a quick change, but some do, so there's no sense in risking it. I generally recommend:

1st week - 25% new food, 75% old food. Watch the dogs carefully - are there any stool troubles, or other signs of illness? If not, progress to week 2, if yes, slow down to 10% new food, 90% old food and change weekly in 10% intervals until you reach 50%

2nd week - 50% new food, 50% old food.
3rd week - 75% new food, 25% old food
4th week - all new food.

Anytime you see problems, slow down, going back a step if needed.

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:04 pm

That's good transitioning advice from Amie.
I just want to say, feed the best that you can afford, and don't feel bad if the "top 5" are out of budget. I'd love to feed a better food, but I can afford Diamond Natural chic/rice. I fed Canidae ALS until the formula changed and it didn't agree with my male.
Good luck.

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:21 pm

The puppy is also an apbt. Yeah, I have spent the last few days trying to decipher on here what seems to be "the good ones" as far as dog food goes and it's making my mind spin. I just remembered reading on here somewhere to avoid the "mature" dog food and the "puppy" food.

I will try the weening process you recommended. I still haven't bought new food yet so I'm still open to suggestions. I can afford to splurge a little bit on the dogs knowing that their health and well being benifits in the long run. I am wondering if this will possibly help my eldest life long butt licking obsession. :huh?: She is a bit overweight as well.

I was first thinking about trying the Timberwolf but I can't tell if it is back to be a good one or the changes they went through have moved them to the bottom of the list.

If nothing else I feel much more educated on label reading....

Thanks for all your help.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:03 pm

Here's a tip... go to your favorite petstore and find 3 foods you recognize and who's cost fit your budget. Do one of 2 things:

1. Come back and let us know whats easily available to you and we'll give personal reviews...

2. Go with your guy and pick one... try it for 3 months and see what you think.

MANY of us have tried 2-3 foods before we decided what we liked, and what worked best for our dogs. There are a LOT of good foods out there, and not all dogs do well with all of them.

A list of commonly available foods you can't go wrong with include (but not limited to) in no specific order: Blue Buffalo, Wellness, Solid Gold, Taste of the Wild, Innova (regular), California Natural, Natural Balance, and a food not many others would add but one that I feed personally and am quite happy with, Purina Pro Plan.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:03 pm

2 should be "go with your gut" :oops:

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Started the switch for the puppy today. Decided on the Wellness Super5 mix Large breed puppy. I opened the bag and gave her a little taste out of my hand and she couldn't get enough. Filled her bowl about 1/3 new 2/3 old.

Once the other 2 get a little bit further through their current bag I think I'm going to go with the Wellness Super5 for them as well.

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:34 pm

You don't ned to be feeding her large breed...unless her parents were abnormally large pit bulls.

Many people make the mistake of thinking:

A) large breed formula will make my pup grow bigger

or

B) Large breed formula is for large dogs, so it must have more nutritional value.

Both of these are incorrect.

Large breed foods are formulated to regulate growth...not increase it.

Large breed dogs can have serious joint, bone and heart issues if they grow too quickly...so large breed formulas actually have less of the things needed to help with growth, in ordere to keep growth at a low and steady rate.

For an APBT puppy (that according to breed standard should not get much over 60 lbs) you'd be better off with a regular puppy formula.

Compare the nutritional information on the labels.

The large breed formula will have less fat, and probably less protein and other things that are helpfull for growing puppies.

And fat is good for growing babies, of all species. It is easily converted into energy for growing and playing.

rsemrau2
Newborn Bully

Postby rsemrau2 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:23 am

Good choice on the Wellness Super5Mix! I have been feeding this to Gotti since he was 9 weeks! His skin and coat look great. I almost made the same mistake of buying the 'large breed' formula but APBT are essentially, medium size dogs. The bag is yellow and I am sure your puppy will love you for feeding him better. The only problem I have with his food is that he passes quite a lot of gas! Other then that, I am really happy with it.

rsemrau2
Newborn Bully

Postby rsemrau2 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:24 am

Also, when I changed his food I didn't ween him. He transitioned fine, no runny feces or anything.

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:54 am

rsemrau2 wrote:Also, when I changed his food I didn't ween him. He transitioned fine, no runny feces or anything.

While this is the case for some dogs...it is generally not good advice.

Weening is the best method. Why risk tummy trouble? Do you really want explosive diahrhea in your house?

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:47 pm

I swapped the bag out for the regular puppy mix. She is usually eating 3 cups a day so this first week I'm doing 2 cups old, 1 cup new. Next week half and half, then 1 cup old 2 new. She does like the new stuff, I think she tries to pick through the science diet to get to the wellness. Kind of like when I was a kid, I'd eat all the marshmellows out of the lucky charms before I ate the boring stuff.....:)

When my older dogs are a little further through their last bag of science diet, they will be going to the Wellness Super5 mix as well.

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:16 am

This puppy is starting to get on my nerves. She's not really eating now. She seemed to like the new food at first but now she just kind of picks at it. Don't know if I should just try another food or hold out for a while. She is full of energy and doesn't seem to be sick or anything.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:36 pm

How much are you feeding her, how often, and what do you do when she doesn't eat?

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Feeding her 1.5 cups in the morning and 1.5 in the evening. When she doesn't eat I usually just pick the food up but I've been worried she isn't eating enough so I have been putting it back down midday when I'm home.

It's kind of tough though because we have free-fed our other dogs for the last decade and decided to try it different this time. I sometimes catch the puppy munching on their food so I am thinking about trying to put everybody on the same food schedule.

Return to “Health Issues”