Decided on food change. Ween or not Ween?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Amie

Re: Decided on food change. Ween or not Ween?

Postby Amie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:34 pm

Put everyone on a schedule, or at the very least make it so pup can't eat anyone else's food.

Give her 20 minutes at the most per meal - what she doesn't eat in that time, pick up and keep up. She'll learn not to think she can snack whenever she wants.

Unless she's severely underweight now, I wouldn't coddle her or give in to her to try to get her to eat more.

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:45 pm

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Thanks.

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:57 am

Waterjunkie wrote:Feeding her 1.5 cups in the morning and 1.5 in the evening. When she doesn't eat I usually just pick the food up but I've been worried she isn't eating enough so I have been putting it back down midday when I'm home.

It's kind of tough though because we have free-fed our other dogs for the last decade and decided to try it different this time. I sometimes catch the puppy munching on their food so I am thinking about trying to put everybody on the same food schedule.

Also...and this goes for ALL dogs but is especially important now that you have a bully...

Leaving food out is a disater waiting to happen. Dogs should always be seperated for meal times to prevent fights.

Also for all dogs...free feeding, especially with multiple dogs, can keep you from being able to monitor food intake. Many health issues can be detected early by appetite. If you leave food out for any dog to eat whenever they feel like it, you have no way of knowing which dogs are eating how much.

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:36 am

I realize free-feeding is not the optimal situation. To be honest though, up until now it has not been a problem. Our older dogs are a pit and a pit lab mix. They each had their bowl of food right next to each other and amazingly enough, would never eat the other ones food. They respected the other ones bowl and I have never caught one eating out of the other.

Things are changing though so I am going to have to adapt to the new scenario.

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:58 am

Waterjunkie wrote:I realize free-feeding is not the optimal situation. To be honest though, up until now it has not been a problem. Our older dogs are a pit and a pit lab mix. They each had their bowl of food right next to each other and amazingly enough, would never eat the other ones food. They respected the other ones bowl and I have never caught one eating out of the other.

Things are changing though so I am going to have to adapt to the new scenario.

In most households and in most situations in life where something goes wrong...there is never a problem...until there is. There's always a first time.

You may have never died in a car accident...does that mean you shouldn't where your seat belt?

Just because something hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it never will.

I'm glad you are considering changing the free feeding situation in your house, it will come highly advised that you follow through.

Also...do you leave your dogs together unsupervised?

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:41 am

Yes, they are left unsupervised. They have been together a decade with no problems. I realize something could happen, but I will just have to deal with that if it occurs because I have no way of feasibly seperating them for the time we are at work.

Puppy is still only picking at her food, I am going to go tomorrow and try a different kind of food. I'm thinking of trying the TOTW wolf stuff, I think I saw that at PETco and I think they will let me exchange the food.

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:42 am

Let me add that everyone is on a feeding schedule now. And my older dogs are being weened on to the Wellness super5mix, they seem to like it a lot. I have been picking up their bowls after 20 minutes, the only one having a problem is Josie, the six month old pit.

Return to “Health Issues”