Washing White Dogs

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Washing White Dogs

Postby moto1320 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:30 pm

I've noticed several pics around here as of late with super bright white bullies. What does everyone use. Doc has some pretty tough red clay stains in his fur that aren't going away, on top of all around yellowish fade thing going on.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby jmann4 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:34 pm

I use a puppy shampoo and brush my dogs every two days. The first time I brushed Angel I was shocked at how awesome she looked.

I don't know the name of the shampoo I use because the label has been torn off the bottle.
jmann4

Postby moto1320 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:46 pm

I have a couple of kinds of shampoo (one puppy and one regular) and brush daily. They still look all grungy though. I was just remembering this Maltese my mom had when we were little. He'd get filthy and looked red from the clay stains, but when he came back from the occasional groomer trip, his coat was flawless. I was wondering if there was something just for them. I know jack about this since I've always had this thing for black animals. Daisy's lightbulb head was my first experience with white fur in my whole life, and now Doc is all white. They are both going to have to wear sunscreen and I'm thinking that it will be a dirt magnet on top of it.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby wndrtwns04 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:39 am

I can't think of what it is called right now, but they make purple shampoo for white dogs. Sorry, I will try to find the name and post later.....
wndrtwns04

Postby HugABull1 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:12 am

any dog shampoo that is blue or purple colored (will say for white dogs) should help. In a pinch, they make human stuff for blondes or silver-haired old ladies that should brighten up your pupper :))

I know what you mean about that "yellow fade" lol. People are always commenting on how white Angel is, but I know the truth - she's very yellow compared to what she could be. If I bath her with some puppy shampoo, then slather her up with some of MY Biolage conditioner, let her air dry and brush her she absolutely sparkles (literally). However, miss priss hates the bath, so it only happens a handful of times in a year... :roll:
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby moto1320 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:12 pm

I tried the blue stuff, Rachel helps manage a hair salon so we have every type of hair product imaginable. It worked very well on everything that was not stained. Doc has this huge ring of, now bright orange (after the blue stuff), around his neck that is from clay, rust from a chain, or both. I guess I'll just have to wait for that portion of fur to shed out, which shouldn't be a problem since he sheds like crazy. They both look horrible from the sunscreen clumping their fur together too, it also attacts dirt. Oh well, I'll just have to have grungy little pinkies. :roll:
moto1320
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:50 pm

Try horse shampoo. There are some great ones for white coats, and manure stains are pretty tough to get out. Make sure you rinse it really well though. You can also try hydrogen peroxide. Put it on the stains and then go for a walk in the sun, once the coat is dry rinse it out. It bleaches out a lot of the stained areas.

I use Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap on Ruby, it makes her REALLY shiney.
Last edited by mnp13 on Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnp13

Postby moto1320 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:53 pm

Thanks, I use Dr.Bronners peppermint on me :)) . That stuff is the best in the summer. A rescue friend said the same about horse shampoo. Ohlins? (sp). Doc is slowly shedding out his rust/dirt stains. The purple stuff turned it dayglo orange. lol
moto1320
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:29 pm

moto1320 wrote:Thanks, I use Dr.Bronners peppermint on me :))

If you ask REALLY nice maybe Demo will tell you his Dr. Bronner's story roflmao (He's gonna kill me... )

Dr Bronners is great because it's so mild, smells great and is realtively cheap. I have used it on my cats as well.
Last edited by mnp13 on Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
mnp13

Postby moto1320 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:34 pm

This sounds good....pretty please? lol
moto1320
Regulator

Postby hillside » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:24 am

Here are a couple links to a few shampoos for white dogs. I haven't ever used any of them, but I will be soon.
http://....
http://www.dogtrainingclub.com/shopping/Shampoos_Conditioners/Whitening_Shampoos/
http://petsupplies4less.com/sb/site.cgi?sid=&m=3&item=013T01-1
hillside

Postby concreterose » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:31 am

I use Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap on Ruby, it makes her REALLY shiney.

Where do you get this? I have been looking for a shampoo for my dogs.
concreterose
Regulator

Postby moto1320 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:00 am

It's sold at most health food stores, there is all of this psycho babble on the bottle in small writing...very weird guy. They make several different kinds.
moto1320
Regulator

Postby mnp13 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:00 am

Go to http://www.drbronner.com/ to find out about the soap. The label is really 'out there' but a fun read while you're in the bathroom! :)

There are a bunch of different scents. They are pretty concentrated so 'dilute dilute'!

Some large grocery stores (like Wegmans) carry it, and most natural food stores have it as well. You can probably find it online as well.
mnp13

Postby LoveABull » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:16 pm

heh... Dr. Bronners is awsome soap... i use it on myself (love that tingly feeling the peppermint soap gives ya)... never thought to use it on my dog...

and don't bother asking my why Luna is so white, either... i have no clue... she hasn't had a bath in 7 months
LoveABull

Next

Return to Health Issues