Blue Buffalo Foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
s3pt1k
Newborn Bully

Blue Buffalo Foods

Postby s3pt1k » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:52 am

So, I've been doing continued research and for a number of reasons, I decided to go with Blue Buffalo's Lamb and Rice Puppy over Canidae food for my pup. Part of the reason I did is that Blue Buffalo seems like a great, higher-grade food, it fits my budget, and it's widely available (in case something were to happen to the dog's food while traveling, I'd be able to replace it with relative ease, not having to suddenly change foods).

Today, I found a new store at my main travel destination that now carries Canidae products. So, now I'm waffling again. As I look at the ingredients list, it seems that the Blue Buffalo looks very good in comparison to Canidae's lamb and rice formula. Canidae's ALS Grain free formula looks great, but I've heard that APBTs are gassy with chicken so...I'd like to nix that possibility.

So, I guess what I'm asking is if someone can offer experiences with either food (specifically the Blue Buffalo), or better yet, a comparison of both. Also, is chicken problematic for APBTs?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Blue Buffalo Foods

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:39 pm

My recommendation is actually to find out what works best for your pup. Both are EXCELLENT foods, and due to individual differences, our experiences may not be whats best for your pup, because your pup is different.

Pick the food thats easiest to get to for you, and feed that food for 3-4 months... then try the other food for 3-4 months. You may like one better than another, you may want to try something else, you may like both and pick because one is cheaper/easier to get.

In the long run, when you have several fabulous foods available (lucky!!) try them all and decide what you like best. If you like them both, you can rotate to give your pup variety.

No, chicken is not a problem for most APBTs... in fact, I tend to prefer chicken in my own dogs, seems to cause less gas than lamb/fish... again, a personal issue with my dogs that may not necessarily apply to your dogs.

s3pt1k
Newborn Bully

Postby s3pt1k » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:19 pm

Thank you for the feedback. (:

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:28 pm

x2 on finding something that works for your dog.

food for thought, there's an article in the current WDJ about rotating protein sources and brands of food in order to best ensure nutritional completeness.

ebbtide
Newborn Bully

Postby ebbtide » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:55 am

I just switched to Blue Buffalo Wilderness formula. Vinnie's coat cleared up, and he's gaining visible muscle mass without any other changes (no extra walking / exercising). FWIW, he seems to like it more than what he was on before also.

ebbtide
Newborn Bully

Postby ebbtide » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:49 am

hearse wrote:Just wondering, what was he on before just as a better comparison?

eukanuba naturally wild

Savant4Sight
Newborn Bully

Postby Savant4Sight » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:39 pm

I was wondering the samething about blue buffalo, I would probably get the chicken and rice one...I think I may try timberwolf since I've heard alot of people saying it was very good..So maybe u can do blue buffalo for 3-4 months then try timberwolf, and see what you like.

s3pt1k
Newborn Bully

Postby s3pt1k » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:51 pm

I decided I'm going to start my pup off on Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy mix (chicken and rice). Totally budget friendly, comes in large bags, has natural glucosamine, 28% protein, is widely available, and seems like a really good food for the price. I am planning on some comparisons between it and Canidae and possibly Orijen. I'll post updates on this thread. (:

s3pt1k
Newborn Bully

Postby s3pt1k » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:23 pm

So, I've been feeding Brynja the Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy kibble for the last month. She seems to be doing VERY well on it, but there's one thing that really bothers me: her GAS! It's quite putrid and, on several occasions, has woken me from a dead sleep. It's brutal.

Does anyone know if going to a higher-protien food (e.g., Canidae Grain-Free Salmon) would make her gas worse? Do you think it would be advisable to try something non-chicken (e.g., lamb)?

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:00 pm

Probiotics help a ton with gas. My dog is on Wellness Ocean Core and gets gassy with a fish only diet. FortiFlora is a lifesaver for us, not sure if it is ok for pups though.

I'm not a fan of feeding large breed dog food to a medium sized breed (especially a pup), however but that is just my opinion.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Cherry wrote:I'm not a fan of feeding large breed dog food to a medium sized breed (especially a pup), however but that is just my opinion.

The whole point of feeding large breed food is BECAUSE they're puppies... when they grow too quickly because of nutrient rich foods, we create health problems secondary to bone/joints growing too quickly. Calcium and fat restriction (with plenty of protein for growth) creates a much more appropriate growth rate and prevents orthopedic diseases such as panosteitis.

If its unknown how large the dog will get, or if the parents were over 50 lbs, the dog should be on a large breed puppy food. Its not hurting anything or restricting anything beyond what the puppy needs, its just more work to make it that way when puppies need so much protein and other nutrients too...

Adult dog large breed food is a waste of money if it costs more than regular... there isn't enough glucosamine to be worth feeding and since the dog isn't growing anymore, calcium and fat restriction isn't necessary anymore.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:44 pm

Oh, and I agree about the probiotics. I love Fortiflora, but plain yogurt with active cultures will work in a pinch too.

s3pt1k
Newborn Bully

Postby s3pt1k » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:57 am

I know Brynja's father was 50+ lbs., but her mother was closer to 40. Would you suggest a lower-protien food?

s3pt1k
Newborn Bully

Postby s3pt1k » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:59 am

FYI, the BB Large Breed Puppy food is as follows:

Crude Protein 28.0% min
Crude Fat 12.0% min
Crude Fiber 4.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Calcium 1.2% min
Phosphorus 0.95% min
DHA* 0.1% min
L-Carnitine* 100 mg/kg max

killanat3
Newborn Bully

Postby killanat3 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:21 pm

My girls love Blue. I love it cuz its not bad on the wallet and still a good quality food. I too have gas problems from blue i need to try the yogurt. Does any one have any thing more on the wilderness formula from blue?

Return to “Health Issues”