Ear infection?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Ear infection?

Postby N2K » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:23 pm

I think Kane has an ear infection, normaly his inner ears are grayish pink but he has one that is almost red. He keeps trying to stratch it but the med cone prevents him. He also shakes his head a lot.

Is there anything I can give him? Currently he's on anti biotics due to the cut on his leg. Or do I need to take him back to the vet? It was $150 just for his last check up and I am kinda short on cash this week.

Finnigan
Bully Ambassador

Re: Ear infection?

Postby Finnigan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:28 pm

Well, I'm no vet but perhaps probiotics might help. Accidohillus, yogurt...? Ingested...not in his ear! Does it smell yeasty? Is there waxy discharge?

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:34 pm

I would at least call your vet. Since he's currently being treated, they may be able to help over the phone.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:11 pm

since he is on antibiotics it is a possibility he has gotten a yeast infection in his ear now. whenever my dogs, ( and myself) are on antibiotics I add either plain Keffir or plain unsweetened, unflavored yogurt to their food and also give them capsules of probiotics twice per day. (unless the antibiotic cannot be takan with dairy products- your label should have that warning on it)
like Finnean suggested

and like Spammie suggested, a phone call to your vet is a good idea since it might be the anitbiotics that have instigated this ear issue.
I had a dog get a yeast infection in her ear , she kept shaking her head which caused a blood vessel to rupture under the skin, she then needed ear surgery
You might want to call your vet asap
Hope it turns out to be a minor issue.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:22 am

Oral medications are rarely good enough for ear infections... there just isn't enough blood flow to the thin layer of skin inside the ear cartilage to get good penetration of the medications.

The ear infection could be yeast, or it could be bacteria from the rest of his skin... the only way to know for sure is to look at a sample under the microscope, which means a visit to the vet. Also, inflammation plays such a huge role in ear infections, red ears almost always need a steroid for a fast (and comfortable) resolution... again, chances are over the counter meds and/or the antibiotics he's already taking aren't going to be quite good enough.

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:15 am

Well I need to make up sometime to go and get more trypzyme from the vet I will ask when I am there. I think the worse it over. It was Kane turn today to be out of the crate, currently I am crate rotating. He wasn't scratching or shaking today.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:21 am

N2K wrote: It was Kane turn today to be out of the crate, currently I am crate rotating. He wasn't scratching or shaking today.

do you let them out only one day at a time???

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:22 am

pblove wrote:
N2K wrote: It was Kane turn today to be out of the crate, currently I am crate rotating. He wasn't scratching or shaking today.

do you let them out only one day at a time???

Only when they are indoor two are in crates, or if no one is home. No, the other two share thier zoomies time outside.

Return to “Health Issues”