How do you exercise your dog?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Mr. Hayes
Newborn Bully

Re: How do you exercise your dog?

Postby Mr. Hayes » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:23 pm

brady80 wrote:I don't want to anthropomorphize but I would equate it to a boxer trying to remain in fight shape all the time.Rather than working hard for 6-8 weeks and peaking for a fight,trying to maintain that condition on a regular basis.It's working to the point of physical/mental burn out.

Then I think the vet that saw my dog doesn't know what he/she is talking about. It's not even his regular vet, it was a physical from the place where he donates blood, and being over conditioned was one of the comments. There is no way he is over worked, sometimes I think he could use a little more. Thanks for the info.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Most vets see almost all overweight pets. If you're used to badly obese, slightly overweight looks normal. It's sort of like the Anti-Hollywood, where you look at movies and see size 2 actresses all the time, and then the average size 10 woman looks morbidly obese.

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:27 am

Amie wrote:Most vets see almost all overweight pets. If you're used to badly obese, slightly overweight looks normal. It's sort of like the Anti-Hollywood, where you look at movies and see size 2 actresses all the time, and then the average size 10 woman looks morbidly obese.

Nice analogy :)

Hayes I wouldn't really worry about what the vet said. The last time I took my dog to the vet one of the techs said my dog could look a lot beefier. I know most of the public thinks a fat dog is normal but animal health professionals should know better...

high_d_bear
Adolescent Bully

Postby high_d_bear » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:19 pm

Mr. Hayes wrote:
brady80 wrote:I don't want to anthropomorphize but I would equate it to a boxer trying to remain in fight shape all the time.Rather than working hard for 6-8 weeks and peaking for a fight,trying to maintain that condition on a regular basis.It's working to the point of physical/mental burn out.

Then I think the vet that saw my dog doesn't know what he/she is talking about. It's not even his regular vet, it was a physical from the place where he donates blood, and being over conditioned was one of the comments. There is no way he is over worked, sometimes I think he could use a little more. Thanks for the info.

your dog donates blood i dont think ive heard of dogs doing that. how would i go about doing that w/my dog?

Mr. Hayes
Newborn Bully

Postby Mr. Hayes » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:05 pm

high_d_bear wrote:
Mr. Hayes wrote:

your dog donates blood i dont think ive heard of dogs doing that. how would i go about doing that w/my dog?

We do it through the University of Florida vet program. The previous owner of our second dog, Trooper, already had him enrolled. It's a 3 hour drive, so we tried to find a place closer to home but there wasn't one. When we enrolled our other dog, she had to have a physical, then she was ready to go. If you're close to a big university with a vet program I would check there. It's great for us because they give you 40 lbs of food per dog, good food, a couple bags of treats, and flea and heartworm meds. We haven't bought anything except for treats since they've been in the program.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Mr. Hayes wrote:
high_d_bear wrote:
Mr. Hayes wrote:

We do it through the University of Florida vet program. The previous owner of our second dog, Trooper, already had him enrolled. It's a 3 hour drive, so we tried to find a place closer to home but there wasn't one. When we enrolled our other dog, she had to have a physical, then she was ready to go. If you're close to a big university with a vet program I would check there. It's great for us because they give you 40 lbs of food per dog, good food, a couple bags of treats, and flea and heartworm meds. We haven't bought anything except for treats since they've been in the program.

nice program :))
my dog donates blood too, but we don't get all the extras you get
we got one initial physical with full blood work done, tick born disease test and heart worm test
dog get goodies while blood is being drawn and after blood is donated
oh and we get one free unit of blood if ever needed after the dog has donated 7 times
to op asking about volunteering your dog for blood
maybe try a search in your area or ask your vet if they know of any programs since they get probably their blood from them?

Return to “Health Issues”