A question.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Absolute Peril
Newborn Bully

A question.

Postby Absolute Peril » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:01 am

Is it okay to let my 14 week old on the treadmill? She is driving me crazy, I mean she is very hyper.

I know she is just a pup and that adds to it but I didn't know if physically its okay to have her on it. She has been trained on it already and doesn't mind it. She doesn't need coxing or a leash she just does it but I don't know if its okay to have her on it for more the five minutes and how fast or slow I should have it and how long to have her on it. It goes from 0-10 MPH with a 0-10 percent incline.

What would you suggest? I just want to calm her a little bit because as soon as those four paws hit the ground she runs and runs and runs and doesn't calm down at all. Help? :pray

Poohs Dad
Matured Bully

Re: A question.

Postby Poohs Dad » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:03 am

I'd allow her free access to run on it as much as she liked. In my opinion there there is no such thing as too much free will exercise, unless they are nursing an injury. I'm sure there will plenty of other views shortly.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:42 am

But it's motorized, right? So that means it's either off and not working, or it's "forced" in that you don't really know when she's done, she has to keep going until you stop it, or possibly injure herself getting off while it's still going.

I'd let her on it for VERY short periods - not longer than 5 min, I'd say - to keep her comfortable with it. And I'd work on a lot of training - the mental aspect will wear her out, and give you a well-trained dog!

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:45 am

Call your vet and ask her. Or post this question over on the health section of the forum, at least.

Poohs Dad
Matured Bully

Postby Poohs Dad » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:11 am

If it's motorized I agree with Amie, I mis-read that. I thought it was self propelled

Absolute Peril
Newborn Bully

Postby Absolute Peril » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:33 am

Amie wrote:But it's motorized, right? So that means it's either off and not working, or it's "forced" in that you don't really know when she's done, she has to keep going until you stop it, or possibly injure herself getting off while it's still going.

I'd let her on it for VERY short periods - not longer than 5 min, I'd say - to keep her comfortable with it. And I'd work on a lot of training - the mental aspect will wear her out, and give you a well-trained dog!

Mine is motorized but my dogs hop off when they are done. I don't know why but when they are tired they bark or get off themselves and go lay down. Most of my dogs like it. They go and sit on it wanting it turned on. What I meant by she doesn't need forced is she doesn't hop off or stop or get nervous she just wags he tail and runs like a fool.

Absolute Peril
Newborn Bully

Postby Absolute Peril » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:39 am

Oh yeah, just to add on, my treadmill is a new model and so soon at someone or the dog gets to the back of it it kicks off. I hate it because if they are running slower it turns off but they can't hurt themselves sliding off the back and there isn't anything behind or around it to get hurt on. Also, the belt of my treadmill will move if you start walking on it without it being turned on. So should I let her run on it like that? Also, regardless I never let my dog on it unsupervised just for my peace of mind. I also I didn't know if the springpole would be okay to let her on yet. :huh?:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:05 pm

at 14 WEEKS old she should not be doing high impact anything while her joints are growing. a springpole is NOT good for her until her joints stop growing or you will risk the chance of damaging her joints.. normal walks,playtime, nothing too strenous should be done now. all puppies are crazy hyper, you can work on obedience skills which will tire her mind and help her get rid of some pent up energy.

Absolute Peril
Newborn Bully

Postby Absolute Peril » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:51 pm

Maryellen wrote:at 14 WEEKS old she should not be doing high impact anything while her joints are growing. a springpole is NOT good for her until her joints stop growing or you will risk the chance of damaging her joints.. normal walks,playtime, nothing too strenous should be done now. all puppies are crazy hyper, you can work on obedience skills which will tire her mind and help her get rid of some pent up energy.

Thank you. :bowdown:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:19 pm

Maryellen wrote:at 14 WEEKS old she should not be doing high impact anything while her joints are growing. a springpole is NOT good for her until her joints stop growing or you will risk the chance of damaging her joints.. normal walks,playtime, nothing too strenous should be done now. all puppies are crazy hyper, you can work on obedience skills which will tire her mind and help her get rid of some pent up energy.

:goodpost:

I would not allow your pup on the treadmill or encourage any high impact excercise until at least one YEAR of age... Increased exercise when young has been associated with increased incidence of hip and knee problems later in life. Think of teenagers who play football or run track in high school... many of them have blown knees before they're 30.

Return to “Health Issues”