Puppy not interested in her food.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Puppy not interested in her food.

Postby Waterjunkie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:00 pm

I'm going to start a new topic for this.

I have recently switched my 6 month old APBT from Science diet to the Wellnesss Super5mix Puppy and am on the last week of 3 for weening her. She has over the last week and a half become very dissinterested in her food. I will catch her trying to eat out of my older dogs bowls (They are switching to the wellness super5mix too). Maybe she likes their larger kibble size? She has been only eating about a half cup in the morning and maybe a cup at dinner but I have to stand over her just to get her to eat. I have been leaving the bowls down for only 20 minutes before I take them up.

I don't think she is ill, she has plenty of energy and is not acting lethargic. I am wondering if I should try switching her food or just give her more time. She seemed to like her new food at first I just don't know if I should ride it out or try switching foods. I am worried about her as I know she is in a time she should be eating a lot more food and growing.

Any suggestions? New food or wait it out?

Adrianne

Re: Puppy not interested in her food.

Postby Adrianne » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:41 pm

Dogs are stubborn but a healthy dog will never starve itself. Wait her out, bending to her food demands as a puppy is a bad habit to start IMO. She'll eat, you know she will because she's trying to steal from the other dogs bowls lol

If it pains you to see her not eating you can try a bit of low sodium chicken broth warmed in the bowl, and or some cottage cheese, or plain yogurt, or even peanut butter, or a treat or two hidden in the bowl. Small bribes never hurt anyone but be sure you're not bending entirely to her food demands, it's a pain in the ass trait that will haunt you.

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:45 pm

Adrianne,

The only thing I am worried about with adding the bribes in with her food is that she will only want to eat with other things supplemented in and then not want to eat with no extras in it. I know adding stuff in works because I tried with some cheese and it did work but she did kind of eat around her food.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:12 pm

why is it a problem for her to have other things in her kibble?

Waterjunkie
Newborn Bully

Postby Waterjunkie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:53 pm

pblove wrote:why is it a problem for her to have other things in her kibble?

It's not a problem, I just don't want her to become spoiled and only eat when something else is mixed in. Would like her to eat when she's fed. Wife said she scarfed all her dinner up tonight, maybe she's realizing it's what's for dinner and this isn't burger king. :)

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:55 pm

One of the problems with adding things to kibble is that the dog can get trained to hold out until you add goodies.

I'd let her skip a meal, to be honest with you.

Cruzer
Adolescent Bully

Postby Cruzer » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:20 pm

When I got my pup at 3-4 months old, he used to scarf his food down. Now in the mornings when I get his food and ask for a sit, he will sit so I put it down, but then he just walks away. Im starting to think he just wants to eat once a day. He is 7.5 months old. He eats about 3 1/2 to 4 cups of food daily and gets other treats in between. Have you ever tried hand feeding her the kibble while doing training exercises?

Return to “Health Issues”