We just can't win...Ugh!!! (food despair)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
kcobean
Newborn Bully

We just can't win...Ugh!!! (food despair)

Postby kcobean » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:02 pm

Our boys are almost 6 months old now:

The Moist-n-meaty in the picture is for another dog...long story.

When we got them from the breeder, he had started them on plain' ol' Pedigree puppy, and they seemed to like it. We knew it was "junk food" as dog food goes, but we wanted to give them time to acclimate to our home, etc before we started transitioning to something new. Well, about a month ago, we figured we'd switch to Blue Buffalo, as it's come highly recommended by folks we've spoken to. We followed the 25% mixture change every 2-3 days, but by the end of about day 2 we had vomiting and diarrhea coming from one and and diarrhea from the other. So back to Pedigree we went, but when it was time to buy more all they had was a "new more wholesome recipe" that had some extra kibble in it. Well, they hated the stuff and wouldn't eat it, so we found an 'original recipe' bag of Pedigree, and now they don't seem to want that. So, we bought a bag of Hills Science Diet (readily available and seems like an ok food) in hopes that we could mix this with the Pedigree and get a transition to something that a) they would eat, and b) wouldn't kill their stomachs. They don't seem to like it either.

I'm at a loss here...we've got a half a bag of blue buffalo, two bags of Pedigree, a bag of Science Diet and two hungry dogs.

What do we do?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: We just can't win...Ugh!!! (food despair)

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:28 pm

Put the food down and let them eat when they're hungry. By switching foods all the time, you're teaching your dogs to wait for something better. Once your pups are eating again, slowly transition to whatever middle of the road food you have selected and try that for 2-3 months to see if you like it... not perfect, then try something else. Don't switch more than every 2-3 months unless there is a medical issue or you'll get picky pups.

kcobean
Newborn Bully

Postby kcobean » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:13 am

Part of the problem is that everything seems to be making them sick. We also had one throw up in the house and he had a bunch of grass in his stomach...Will grass make them sick, because they seem to like to eat it when they're outside.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:25 am

Grass will make them vomit if its coarse, which most grass is this time of year.

If they're still vomiting and not eating the original food, a vet visit may be in order to get their stomachs settled enough to eat again.

MyBluePit
Newborn Bully

Postby MyBluePit » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:09 pm

If they continue to eat grass to vomit a vet check may be in order. From what I've read dogs eat grass to vomit due to gas or upset stomach. Mixing 1 cooked egg into there kibble may get them eating again.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:58 pm

some pups cant handle rich food. blue buffalo is a very rich food.. which could be the cause of their runs and upset stomachs.. go back to the pedigree or get Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach/skin formula and try that.. give plain canned pumpkin (1 tablespoon ) in the food to help firm up their poop.. do the switch slowly, over the course of 2 weeks to help ease their stomachs to the new food.. for now keep the food plain and not rich ....btw they are BOTH ADORABLE!!

Equla
Newborn Bully

Postby Equla » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:46 pm

Very, very cute behbies, by the way...

We tried (unsuccessfully) to switch our kids to Natural Balance. Our Chi/Terrier, Miko, wouldn't touch it and our Pitt, Mansa, never seemed to get over the runny poo. It was never BAD poo, but unformed enough to make me want it to stop. We tried adding pumpkin to hopefully get him regular with the new food, but it didn't work.

I gave up and put them back on Iams for the time being. Not the greatest food, but IMO a fed dog without intestinal issues is better than one starving dog and one with an upset tummy.

I agree with Maryellen. Give it a little time with something they WILL eat and not get sick with. Let their tummies calm down and try again. Next time, instead of changing 25% at a time, go even slower. Smaller amounts may help keep the tummy calmed down during the transition and might trick them into liking the new food because they don't notice the change.

Good luck!

kcobean
Newborn Bully

Postby kcobean » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:29 pm

Their tummies seem to be getting better on the Hill's Science Diet. Our vet recommended this stuff, and while they don't seem thrilled about eating it, they are. Their poop is hardening up slowly and no more violent diarrhea in the middle of the night (thank God!). We tried to go back to the Pedigree after the Blue Buffalo, but they turned their noses at it. Even now, they eat around it to get the Science Diet and when the Pedigree is all that's left, they eat it grudgingly.

We're gonna stick with the Science Diet for now.

One last question while we're on the subject...do y'alls pits have horrible gas? Our boys could peel the paint off the walls with theirs, and it's pretty constant and it seems worst at night (perhaps that just when we're with them most). Seems to be better on the Science Diet/Pedigree mix than on straight Pedigree but man o' man can they stink up a room!

Poohs Dad
Matured Bully

Postby Poohs Dad » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:44 pm

Are they eating any rawhides? That will give them gas....right high grade too...

Pit Mama
Newborn Bully

Postby Pit Mama » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:20 pm

I'm lucky that mine does not have gas...I think she farted once or twice in the 18 months I've had her...I owe that to BARF.

I had Gabby on Blue Buffalo for a bit last year and she had GI upset with it too. When I do give her kibble, which is very rarely, she has Beneful. I've had the most luck with that.

At my hospital, if a dog doesn't want to eat, we suggest low sodium broth, homemade is better, poured over the food. I boil bones, sometimes with carrots, and then strain it. This way they get extra fluids and extra nutrients without GI upset.

Kate&David
Bully Ambassador

Postby Kate&David » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:40 am

I don't have any advice on the food issue, but ahh they are sooo cute!

ammadien
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby ammadien » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:07 am

I'd fast12-24 hrs, then start on a bland diet. Kibble seems like you need to stick with it for a bit(2-3months) to get it to settle and see if it works.

Changing fast seems to be the issue. But I was in the same boat. I just got sick of seeing it get worse so I did:

- fasting for 12hrs.
-Bland diet(pumpkin(fiber)) and cooked scrambled eggs
-Home cooked at 3% grown body weight, with vegetables and cooked chicken/eggs

Worked great for us, and it's hard to tell but it seems like you just want options/opinions. Some dogs can't do the high protein(rich? never quite understood that). And some dogs can't do the processed kibble, so you have to be flexible.

Nate

Return to “Health Issues”