Weight Gain Question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Pit Mama
Newborn Bully

Weight Gain Question

Postby Pit Mama » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:10 pm

My Pit just turned 2, is 52lbs, stands 18" at the shoulder, has a history of parvo and demodex and is on a "fairly" strict BARF diet. She eats 3 cups of food twice a day and has snacks whenever she can get them. My vet (my boss) says she is a perfect weight, yet I would like to see her gain more weight and muscle mass. She already has very good muscle mass, yet she is very trim - her ribs are easily palpable. She is very active and very hungry :)) It seems that she is capable of eating more, but I'm worried about bloat. Any tips for me? Her meals consist of about 80% protein (beef, lamb, chicken, organs, whatever I can find on sale), 15% carbs (pasta, sweet potato, rice or kibble) , 5% veggies/fruit (apples, green beans, berries, banana, etc.) She also gets goat yogurt, keifer and raw bones ad lib. I feel she should be at least 5lbs heavier...I wish I had this problem personally! :tongue:

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Re: Weight Gain Question

Postby mtlu » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:41 pm

Can you post a picture? My girl is about 20" to the withers; she looks her best at 47-50lbs. When she gets up to 55, she starts losing her tuck but judging by numbers alone doesn't account for individual dogs' build and genetics.

Pit Mama
Newborn Bully

Postby Pit Mama » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:43 pm

Here's one from the beginning of the summer (she's the one on the right obviously). I don't really have one showing her tone better.

Pit Mama
Newborn Bully

Postby Pit Mama » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:47 pm

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:56 pm

She's adorable (well, both of the dogs are)! She still looks kind of puppy-like to me for some reason, but definitely not underweight. I don't think she needs to gain anymore.

For comparison, here's a sideview of my dog:

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:50 am

She does look very much like a puppy! She's a cutie!

I don't think she needs to gain any weight. Gaining muscle mass and weight are two different things IMO. She could definitely be in better shape and you could certainly work her by long walks, flirt pole, fetch (if she fetches), running...etc to get her in better shape and not look so "soft" muscle wise...I just love that first picture of her :inlove: she's so cute...:)

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:53 am

Also, if she was 5lbs heavier she would lose the tuck she has and be a bit of a chubby baby!

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:02 am

Ditto!

Don't stress about this. Let her body grow into what it is meant to be. Your pup is VERY cute :thumbsup:

5lbs is A LOT of weight, especially at her age and size. My dog weighs 65lbs and looks OBESE at 70 and boney at 60. But anywhere between 63 and 67 he looks healthy.

LMW

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:45 am

My vet (my boss) says she is a perfect weight, yet I would like to see her gain more weight and muscle mass. She already has very good muscle mass, yet she is very trim - her ribs are easily palpable.

She sounds like she is the right weight and doesn't need to gain any. Tone can be upped by good old fashioned hand walking or other excersize regimin. She looks adorable, BTW.

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:04 am

i would not have her gain any more weight. she looks fine the way she is. if your vet says she is fine, listen to him. even just a few extra pounds on a dog is a lot of stress on their joints/heart etc. i keep my dogs (and myself) what most "pet dog vets/people" would consider thin. though i never have anyone say i am too skinny, just comments on the dogs :huh?: if you would like, pm me and i will give you a link to my website (no i do not breed dogs) showing my pit bulls and sled dogs and what kind of shape they are all in. if you want to build "mass" then exersize and good food are the key. i would not suggest FAT to replace mass (muscle)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:18 am

This is a breed of dog where you SHOULD see ribs and feel ribs. I would say she is ideal weight, and if I were to change her weight, I'd say she is 1-2 pounds overweight.

Muscle and fat are not the same thing! Don't put fat on to make her "thicker" it only makes them unhealthy. Thin dogs live 2 years longer and develop arthritis 3 years later. Thats a big deal!!!

Excercise will help her show more muscle definition, but you will not change her genetics, you will not make her stockier without making her fat.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:45 am

I'm with everyone else - you could take a pound or two off, but don't put any on her. There's a sticky on how to tell if your dog is overweight you might want to read. But don't try to make her bigger - she's adorable!

Pit Mama
Newborn Bully

Postby Pit Mama » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:45 am

Afetr reading your posts - thank you! - I feel better. I think she just needs more excercise to get a bit more muscular. She started Shutzhund 4 months ago so maybe that'll work her out better. At home I do off-leash hiking - she's TERRIBLE on a leash! I posted something re: finding weight pull in my area...

Return to “Health Issues”