Porcupine quills--Emergency.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: Porcupine quills--Emergency.

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:20 pm

pblove wrote:
Libby wrote:I just got off the phone with the clinic. They are coming out of surgery right now.

Is that right? I took my dogs in on an emergency for porcupine quills, and they let them sit all night anyway?

Oh man, if that is the case then they better not charge you emergency prices!!!! :sad:

X2

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:27 pm

Well, don't they continue to move in constantly?
Yes, that's why they need to be taken out ASAP.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:21 pm

Poor Mexi and Alexis. :sad: I agree with the others about not taking them out right away.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:28 pm

Ok, well I went and picked them up around 2pm.

I guess they gave them antibiotics and pain medication the night before. They only charged me $70 for the emergency fee, and cut the price of the actual surgeries, so they did compensate for making the poor dogs sit over night with pin cushion faces. And the $70 was only one fee, not one for each dog--same for the exam fee, they only charged for one.

So, total for both of the dogs,, was about $270 which was a great deal less than I expected to pay.

While I'm still not very happy, at least they took off quite a bit of the fees.

The dogs are home and very puffy. I have to feed them canned food for a few days, due to the fact that the vet had to cut into their gums and mouths in a few spots to get the quills out. They are happy to be home and snoring like machine guns in their crates.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:40 pm

WOW I'd say, what a great deal!!
But poor babies. I'm glad they gave you a huge discount!!

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:54 pm

Quills do move in, but very slowly. If any are broken off in the dog, they can continue to work in slowly. Then, they can bump into bone, and move back out. My ex's dog had one resurface on her face months after the incident.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:16 pm

Oh gosh. You reminded me of some puppies we got, that had gotten into a porcupine.
Those quills moved around a lot, maybe because puppies are so (relatively) un-formed?
And you'd pick up a pup and have this icky abscess and squeeze it a little and boom that thing would pop out and we just pulled them out then.
What a mess that was!!
:yucky:

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Thank goodness everything turned out ok. I was so worried when I read the first post. :peace:
My dad's pit bull died because he got ahold of a porcupine. I guess it was really, really bad :(

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:46 pm

Gald they are now home and hope no more issues arise from this dog night mare

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:24 pm

I am glad to hear that your pups are back home and felling a little better. I am sorry they had to sit with quills all night! :sad:

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:01 am

Ugh! I am glad they are on the mend, and totally impressed by those vet bills!

I just paid a big ol' E-Vet bill a few months ago after a dog tussle. It was, of course, on a holiday and it was a rip that needed suturing, on an older dog. Unfortunately they had several serious life-threatening emergencies come in so the rip sat around for hours and hours untended, but they gave pain meds. By the time they were able to treat it, a lot of the tissue had dried up and died so they had to remove it and thus make a very large new incision and then also they put in a drain. And there was zero discount except that they only charged me one day of boarding (from 7PM to 11AM is "usually" considered two days of emergency-vet-boarding, they said). It's understandable that after hours on a holiday they gotta do triage but I think your vet handled the financial end of it very nicely.

And I'm willing to bet that the next porcupine they would do it all over again. Just when you think you might buy a little something for yourself...

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:03 pm

My experience has been that dogs will do worse the second time around... they're so angry/traumatized by the first porcupine that they're determined to REALLY kill the second one. Some dogs will learn, most want to kill them more...

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:24 pm

Ahh that is so sad. Glad they are out and hopefully on the mend.

This might sound sad but do you have pics of it?

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:53 am

They are both doing fine right now. Found a couple of quills the vet missed on Alexis, beneath her ear (?? :huh?: ) but they pulled out really easy just using my fingers. Alexis still has a puffy nose and she acts like her mouth still hurts, but Mexi is back to normal.

I've been paranoid about the porcupine now, because the vet told me all these horror stories about dogs going back for the porcupine lol I haven't been on a walk around the property since, we've been going to the park--I'm fairly certain we are safe from evil porcupines there!

I did not get any pictures, it honestly didn't even cross my mind until after we were at the clinic, even though my camera was on the kitchen table in preparation for Thanksgiving pictures lol I freak out and don't really think of things like that, I just felt too horrible and worried.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:26 pm

Shockingly, my dogs (not APBT's learned). We used to live in the boonies of NH, and let the dogs loose all the time. One day, both my dogs came hustling back to the house. A few minutes later, the roomate's big pup came back, w/a quilly nose.
My dog got skunk sprayed while in NH, too. The next time she met a skunk, she got it, before it got her. But, she apparently learned that no matter how many times she bit a porcupine, it still won.
I have seen porkies here, but my dogs are always on leash. I'm a little more responsible now.

Return to “Health Issues”