Purina Puppy Chow....all the good stuff in it?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Siren
Addicted to PBF

Purina Puppy Chow....all the good stuff in it?

Postby Siren » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:20 pm

A member of a local board just posted they got a GSD. Its adorable and beautiful.

This was my post...
Though with her being a GSD, I would suggest you get her on a food with glucosamine and chondroitin. It will save you a mess of vet bills, lengthen her lifespan, and save her from whole lot of pain in the future. Prevention of hip dysplasia is very important for a growing GSD.

This was his reply....
She has been eating Purina Puppy Chow with all the good stuff in it..

I posted what all "the good stuff" really is...
http://www.longliveyourdog.com/products ... rsels.aspx

Corn, wheat, no G&C, by-products....aka....crap.

I just hope he takes my advice. For the sake of the dog. I think he got it off Craigslist so you can probably bet, its not tested

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Purina Puppy Chow....all the good stuff in it?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:29 pm

And there isn't a single food available anywhere that has therapeutic levels of glucosamine/chondroitin in it, not even the hills prescription Joint Diet (which also uses omega-3 fatty acids to reduce inflammation) could get enough glucosamine/chondroitin in every meal to meet daily requirements. They tried, but weren't able to do it, so you know darn well grocery store foods don't have enough.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:39 pm

Yeah I was going to say, isn't it recommended they eat an adult food (not puppy food) and we supplemented Yaeger with adult Glucosamine/chondroiton tabs from Costco. He got like 1 every day for the first two years of his life.

Siren
Addicted to PBF

Postby Siren » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:28 am

I seriously doubt they will give the puppy what it fully really needs. At least a little in the food would do more good than having some corn based diet.

I told him...feeding his dog that food is like his wife putting out a dinner plate for him with 90% of the plate covered in corn, and a quarter sized steak. That seemed to hit home a little better, with that comparison, but it seems this is a Craigslist puppy, bought likely from the breeder I posted about in Raise the Flag section. Just another backyard breeder pup bought by a nice family who didn't do an ounce of research.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:09 am

Large breed dogs should eat large breed puppy food... adult food is old school and doesn't have enough protein for growth.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:33 am

Thanks Miss :)

twotanks
Newborn Bully

Postby twotanks » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:25 pm

I would educate them and give some suggestions on what are good brands of food and supplements etc that they should be feeding their puppy instead of just pointing out the negative. Most people really just don't know that purina isn't great food.

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:46 pm

So what about the people who are struggling and cant afford the good food? Who can only feed their dog purina or kibbles n bits.. what supplements so you suggest they give their dog?

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:51 pm

Scarsmommy wrote:So what about the people who are struggling and cant afford the good food? Who can only feed their dog purina or kibbles n bits.. what supplements so you suggest they give their dog?

They could try Diamond Naturals or Kirkland Dog food. Those are both inexpensive dog foods and they are corn and soy free.

There is also Purina Pro Plan Selects Natural Salmon & Brown Rice Formula and it also does not have corn in it. It is inexpensive food too.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:55 pm

Mya&theSiebenDackels wrote:
Scarsmommy wrote:So what about the people who are struggling and cant afford the good food? Who can only feed their dog purina or kibbles n bits.. what supplements so you suggest they give their dog?

They could try Diamond Naturals or Kirkland Dog food. Those are both inexpensive dog foods and they are corn and soy free.

There is also Purina Pro Plan Selects Natural Salmon & Brown Rice Formula and it also does not have corn in it. It is inexpensive food too.

I am not sure on the supplements. I know Diamond Naturals has a dog food that contains glucosamine/chondroitin in it.

For fish oil(which helps joints) for our dogs we just buy the fish oil pills meant for humans from Wal-mart.

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:56 pm

I am not sure on the supplements. I know Diamond Naturals has a dog food that contains glucosamine/chondroitin in it.

For fish oil(which helps joints) for our dogs we just buy the fish oil pills meant for humans from Wal-mart.

what dose do you give them of the fish oil?

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:06 pm

We buy Spring Valley Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000 mg capsules.

I give them one capsule every day. I would also recommend you get Vitamin E capsules if you are going to give them fish oil. It helps absorb or digested the fish oil? I can not remember. I am pretty sure you give the Vitamin E 3 times a week or something like that. We have Vitamin E in our dog food so, we do not give our dogs the Vitamin E capsules.

It helped our dachshund Lucy with her joints and made her feel better.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:47 pm

I don't recommend supplements at all unless your dog has a deficiency. These foods contain all the vitamins and minerals your dog needs, just using lesser quality ingredients. Feeding a supplement is not going to make up for that difference in quality. Also, if you do the math, feeding a higher quality food, even going from purina to purina one, is often cheaper anyway.

Siren
Addicted to PBF

Postby Siren » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:02 pm

I did recommend several foods for large breed puppy with G&C.

I know the higher quality food is a bit more expensive, but think of it this way...

Low quality corn-based food goes in and out of dogs fast. They poop out a majority of it. So they often have to eat more....than if they were on a higher quality food with more nutrition which stays in their body. Which also means, less vet pills. A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

And I'm sorry, but IMO...if someone can't afford a good quality food for their PUREBRED dog that they just bought from the BREEDER...then maybe they are better off adopting a less expensive mutt who requires less expenses.

Scarsmommy
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Scarsmommy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:07 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:

I don't recommend supplements at all unless your dog has a deficiency. These foods contain all the vitamins and minerals your dog needs, just using lesser quality ingredients. Feeding a supplement is not going to make up for that difference in quality. Also, if you do the math, feeding a higher quality food, even going from purina to purina one, is often cheaper anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion. We have been going through tough financial times and with 5 dogs in the house going to the cheaper food was our only option .. but i have seen the purina one food at target for just a few bucks more.

Return to “Health Issues”