What is this??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

What is this??

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:55 pm

Noticed this on Emmett's foot about 1-2wks ago. Looked like a weeping sore kind of like a skid mark from sliding on concrete. Weeped a little fluid but nothing big. Put Iodine on it and it got scaly the next day. Been trying to remember to put triple antibiotic ointment on it to keep it moist and heal but it isn't going away.

Now Eve is getting spots (Emmett still only has that one). Found this one one her inner thigh on Thanksgiving day. Was at our in-laws farm on Thanksgiving day ONLY. We are thinking ringworm??? scabies? But thought ringworm needed 10-12days to show symptoms. They have NOT been off of our yard and not played w/ any cats or dogs except for Thanksgiving where they came in contact w/ some farm cats...they got scratched cause the approached to sniff. We are going to try to get to the Vet tomorrow. We thought Emmetts wasn't a huge thing hence the reason we didn't got in....now that Eve is getting spots we need to get them in. What can we do tonight and possibly tomorrow if we can't get in?

Here is Eve's thigh the 1st one of hers. Was about 1-2wks after Emmetts spot.

These are under her chin. Just noticed them yesterday

This is on her muzzle and looks like a new spot.

There is one on her leg under her dark fur that you notice is a little raised but still has hair as do ALL the spots

Lunchbucket

cecollins
Forum Junky

Re: What is this??

Postby cecollins » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:12 pm

Your poor babies. I dont know what it is, but Sully and I are sending good vibes and tons of kisses in hopes of a speedy recovery!!!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:38 pm

The one on Eve's muzzle looks like a secondairy bacterial infecton ,but since they both have them I would guess ringworm ?
I would NOT put anything on them before going to the vet. It could interfer with a proper diagnosis, especailly if your vet needs to do a scraping.
I am having a skin problem here with one of my dogs too, seems to be a lot of skin/allergy type stuff going around thsi Fall.
I hope it is nothing serious and easily treatable. :pray

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:04 pm

The ones under her chine or muzzle look like bacterial infection? They all look similar IMO except for Emmett's foot

I hope it's easy to get rid of too

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:08 pm

Yeah, kind of looks like ringworm to me. When I adopted my cat her entire litter had been found with ringworm. By the time we took her home she was healthy, but a couple weeks later I noticed a circular raised patch of skin on Paco's face in the same place as Eve's. It still had hair but was irritated looking. We did a scraping and, sure enough, it was ringworm. $225 later and I discovered it could have been treated with regular athlete's foot medicine (which is what my friend had to do to his arm as he got ringworm at the same time lol ).

But I'm not convinced Emmet's issue is the same as Eve's...

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:13 pm

I also think Eve's looks like ringworm.

Emmett's has me baffled.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:13 pm

$225 bucks later!!! Why so much

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:35 pm

Lunchbucket wrote:$225 bucks later!!! Why so much

1. bay area
2. skin scraping
3. VCA (which is synonymous with "price gouging" around here)

As they handed me the meds I read the active ingredient out loud and wondered why it sounded so familiar. When they came back in my room so I could sign the cc slip I asked, "Hey, isn't miconozale the same active ingredient as in yeast infection medicine? Couldn't I just put that on his face?" lol

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:06 pm

No KIDDING on the VCA!

It's also in some foot antifungal stuff, like Lotrimin, and I know this thanks to working at a pool in a gym when I was younger and thus having lots of experience with funfun foot antifungals.

Vets (and doctors!) often prescribe itraconazole to patients with ringworm or topical (or oral!) lamisil.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:32 pm

So go get a scrape or try the Lotramin for now and see?

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:51 am

I would go to the vet, as if it's not ringworm, but is an infection instead, it could get worse and be hard to control. I wouldn't personally be willing to treat something as ringworm on my pets unless I was confident of ringworm exposure.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:02 am

It looks like ringworm to me as well. Be careful since you can get it too.

I'd do a scrap just to make sure it's ringworm but treat at home. Much cheaper that way (we used Jock Itch cream, that was fun to buy!).

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:45 am

It takes a fungal culture to diagnose a fungal infection for sure...

since both dogs have it, ringworm is at the top of the list.

I'd see the vet, because the vet will have an antibiotic/antifungal/steroid combination cream that will treat for both possibilities, as well as help relieve the itch. At least, thats what I use... your vet might be different, but you won't find that combo OTC and ringworm is itchy, not terrible itchy, but not fun either.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:05 pm

It was a crazy day and barely got them into the vet. Wife took them. 1st off Emmett was 53.4 and Eve weighed 51.9!! Emmett is a brute.

Anyhow Eve looks worse today :( :( That one on her face is brown and crusted :( She acts like she doesn't feel good either. LIcked a LOT lost night. The vet did a scrape and plucked some hairs. Said it would take 7-10days to get results :( :( Said it might be the same thing but different dogs can express symptoms differently. Emmett has small eraser sized spots in a few places that are crusty some and some have no hair and look like nice pink skin. Eve's are more nickle sized and crusty...no hair missing though.

They have a bacterial infection for sure. They are on cephlexin but not sure about ringworm. Said will wait for the results to do an oral and a topical treatment. Not sure why just didn't get them on the oral to be safe but I'm not a vet.

So they got some antibiotics in them to hopefully stop this :( And I bought some lotramin (generic) and am putting it on Eve's spots to see if that helps. Can't to do one on her muzzle though :( How do you keep them from licking it?

Not sure how they got this or how it turned into a bacterial infection and maybe ringworm??
So I hope they are on the track back to health. We have not gotten any ringworm and it has been 6days since noticed Eve's first spot and 2wks since Emmett's

Lunchbucket

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:20 pm

they get a bacterial infection from licking and scratching (bacteria in their mouths and nails)
I am surprised your vet didn't tell you to give them some Benedryl to help with the itching?
Also, since they are now on the cephlexin you probably should put them on some probiotics to help build up the good bacteria in their guts so they don't start with diarrhea and throwing up next.
I feed them first, then give them their antibiotics, don't give on an empty stomach.
You could also get them one of those E collars(or the blow up type) to wear on their necks to help cut down on the licking/bacteria problem .
I am sure Misskiwi can explain better once she reads your update.

Return to “Health Issues”