Need advise for 9 week old puppy with blood in her urine

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Need advise for 9 week old puppy with blood in her urine

Postby NorCalRose » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:30 pm

Juno is a 9 week old, female pit bull puppy. I have had her for almost 4 weeks. Yes. I know she was too young to be taken from her mother. Juno was a rescue and that is another story.

Saturday morning I noticed she had blood in her urine. I took her the vet and they took a specimen to test for a urinary tract infection. That same evening, she began to literally urinate blood. Back to the Vet, where an ultra sound determined she received a laceration when they took the sample that morning. She got fluids and amoxicillin. I got “no charge”.

She is still showing blood in her urine and trying to pee frequently. Often, only drops are produced.

Today was our return appointment and our Vet said the results are negative. No UTI and no stones or crystals.

She is scheduled for an ultra sound on Thursday. I haven’t got details yet but I am sure it's for the kidneys and bladder. We haven’t done blood work yet.

Juno is energetic and thriving. She weighed 5 lbs and 7 oz on Nov 4th and weighed in at 12 lbs and 2 oz today. I almost forgot to add that she has a grade 1 heart murmur.

I am asking for advice and experiences managing this kind of diagnostic process. What questions should I make sure to ask? Are there specific things I/we should be looking for?

Thank you1
NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Re: Need advise for 9 week old puppy with blood in her urine

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:05 am

I would also request a urine culture... otherwise sounds like things are on track...

Not sure how they would diagnose a "laceration" from an ultrasound though...
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby NorCalRose » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:18 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Not sure how they would diagnose a "laceration" from an ultrasound though...

I "believe" the diag was the result of the bleeding and a blood clot in the bladder revealed by the ultra sound.

Thank you for responding to my question. It's much appreciated.
NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:46 pm

UTI's can cause blood clots too... learned this the hard way when I was brand spankin new and freaked because there was something in my pups bladder on ultrasound. I freaked out and took x-rays all by myself after hours, only to find nothing, and my boss got a giggle out of it the next day and said it was probably just a blood clot from the UTI. 2 weeks of antibiotics and we haven't had a problem since, its been over a year.

If there was a lot of blood in the urine sample they looked at, its really easy to miss the bacteria because they're tough to see sometimes as it is... thats why I recommend they do a culture. Its entirely possible you're going to be spending an awful lot of money on x-rays/ultrasounds for an obnoxious bacteria thats causing more blood than is normal. But then again, better safe than sorry too! I sure slept better knowing my pup didn't have a big stone in his bladder, even if x-rays did run me 150 bucks after my discount.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby NorCalRose » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:47 pm

They found bladder stones. In a puppy this age apparently it can be an indication of HMD or a liver shunt. So they ran a liver panel and it came back negative. She has good liver function though she has anemia that is improving (bone marrow creating new red blood cells). :huh?:

My Vet consulted with a couple of Internists. They had a couple of theories but button line is that the really scary stuff appears to have been eliminated.

She will have surgery next Friday to remove the stones and spay her while they are there. The vet will take a look around for anything significant. They will analyze the stones to see what kind they are and will also run a culture to see if the there really is a UTI present that was missed in the urine culture.

In the mean time she has been sleeping with and getting spoiled rotten. I am on rode to creating the cutest little monster.
NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby pblove » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:39 am

I am so happy to hear they found out the cause and it was stones and not shunts
Will be keeping your lil monster in :pray
do you have health ins on her
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby NorCalRose » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:46 pm

pblove wrote:do you have health ins on her

No. I have it for the other 2 but some reason I didn't even think about it until we were in the middle of this. My vet is giving me a discount on the surgery since he cares for all of our dogs and we use their in house trainer.

Funny thing happened though. My husband restored a 1968 Camaro that he has had up for sale. It sold the day we got the news about her surgery. :nana:
NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:05 am

What's the reasoning for spaying her at the same time? She's 9 weeks old! That seems a bit extreme to me, especially giving that she's got other medical issues going on to begin with.
RuffMuttK9z

Postby NorCalRose » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:43 am

RuffMuttK9z wrote:What's the reasoning for spaying her at the same time?

I know. I was planning on spaying around 6 months. The rationale for doing it now is that it would eliminate putting her through another surgery in a few months. I have mixed feelings about this. There are pros and cons to doing this during the same operative secession. Our goal is to do what is best for Juno so we are certainly open to information or data on this topic.
NorCalRose
Adolescent Bully

Postby Carla » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:22 pm

NorCalRose wrote:
RuffMuttK9z wrote:What's the reasoning for spaying her at the same time?

I know. I was planning on spaying around 6 months. The rationale for doing it now is that it would eliminate putting her through another surgery in a few months. I have mixed feelings about this. There are pros and cons to doing this during the same operative secession. Our goal is to do what is best for Juno so we are certainly open to information or data on this topic.

OH, please do not spay a 9 week old! And especially when she has another issue going on!

Carla
Carla
Forum Junky

Postby Carla » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:23 pm

It's just too much for a 9 week old in my opinion....

Carla
Carla
Forum Junky

Postby pblove » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:09 pm

effects of early spaying/neuteering

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:06 pm

For a 9 week old puppy to have bladder stones, there is likely some sort of metabolic disorder present that will effect her for life.

I would spay the dog (it will add 10 minutes to the anesthesia time in a dog that young) to prevent the need for future anesthetic episodes.

Pre-puberty spay is pre-puberty... it doesn't make any difference if the dog is 9 weeks or 6 months... its still before the first heat.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:00 pm

I agree that for a 9 week old puppy to have bladder issues something else must be going on. Spaying her isn't going to fix the problem at hand and will only cause more stress to her body with recovery, etc. This has nothing to do with the early spay/neuter issues. It has to do with the fact that the pup has other health issues going on. I can't fathom why any vet would suggest that spaying her at this time would be a good idea. My vet won't do ANYTHING extra that isn't absolutely 100% necessary to a dog or puppy that has any type of health issue going on.

With or without bladder stones, there's no way in heck you could pay me to spay a 9 week old puppy. And I am a rescuer!
RuffMuttK9z

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:42 pm

Spaying the dog at the same time does NOT change the healing time or surgical invasiveness... trust me, I'm a surgeon, and the uterus lies directly below the bladder. They're right next to each other. It would be silly not to do the surgery at the same time because you'll put her through two abdominal surgeries.

Remember, the uterus/bladder aren't what has to spend the most time healing... its the abdominal wall. Its also the abdominal wall that results in the most post-surgical pain response.

You will actually DECREASE the amount of work her body has to go through long term by over 50% by preventing a second abdominal incision just a few months later.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Health Issues