Can raw diet cause dog drink excessively?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Re: Can raw diet cause dog drink excessively?

Postby Siberian » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:12 pm

Yes, she goes back on honest kitchen tonight.

Btw, fun little tidbit on how universe makes decisions for us after we ignore the signs:

It has been brewing for a few days now (me being suspicious about patties), and Sheba's scratching and her peeing has gone haywire last week (she peed in my parents house, and in my grandmothers house). BUT I have almost a full bag left, and thought that I will finish it, and then go to honest kitchen.

Well, last afternoon the electricity in my house died. Oddly, it was restored for all of my neighbors, except our unit. Naturally, fridge died... Now I can't feed the patties, because they have been sitting in the warming fridge for over 24 hours. And as if to really drive the point across, Sheba has made a tiny puddle right next to me in the bed, while we were sleeping.

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:42 pm

Ginger did have what Sharon described. All they did was put her on medication and the medicated food for about a month and it did clear up.

She had no itching or any other symptoms besides peeing (or just squatting a bunch) and I could see stuff where she was peeing like mucus, and yes I did see a crystal formation.

i sure hope that Sheba gets better soon

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:59 pm

Honest Kitchen is on sale at DoggieFood.com right now!!! Get it tonight (last day for the sale)!

How's Sheba doing today?

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:07 pm

So, here is the update:

She went back on the honest kitchen, but I only got a small box. I honestly feel they have changed formula (even though when I asked the producer, they said "no"), because Sheba chocolate mountains 5 times a day from eating 2 cups of HK all of the sudden. So, instead I decided to go just to simple raw - chicken parts, organs, etc. No premixes, nothing from the box/bag. It has been a week, and she still drinks like crazy. She drinks about 3 bowls full.

What also worries me, she always had this awesome tuck - completely flat stomach. It is starting to get rounder, as if she is getting a beer belly. I am going to schedule vet appointment, but just wanted to see if anyone has experienced similar, or has any ideas.

From my internet searches, one thing signs point to is cushing's disease.... and I feel at the loss of breath just at the though of it.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:14 pm

Definitely talk to the vet and get off the internet. It won't help to see worst case scenarios. I put a lot of water in the raw that I mix up for my crew, almost adding 10% to the weight of the food, and give them additional water as well.

Keep us updated! Hang in there, Shebalicious!

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks Amie...
She is looking fine otherwise - nice glossy coat, still active. Only other thing I noticed is that she has been really gassy too. Her poops are small, hard and kibble-looking.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:57 pm

those were the beginning symptoms of the dog I had in renal failure
Cushings and reanl failure do have similar symptoms too.
At least get a urine specific gravity test done asap..

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:18 pm

I don't think I have been this scared in my life.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:21 pm

should I take her to emergency vet now, or regular vet in the next couple of days (they are closed on Sundays, and I don't know when they will take us)?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:28 pm

call her regular vet in the am
in the meantime
pull her food and water tonight, and catch her first pee in the morning after she has had no food or water for at least 12 hours
put it in your fridge immediately till you cna get it to your vet Mondya am
this way if you call your vet and cannot get an appt soon, you can still drop off this urine in the am and have them take the USG test(it shoudl show up if there are kidney issues going on) this test runs aroudn $40.00 in Md
she will still have to see your vet, but at least you will get this test underway

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:30 pm

If you don't know waht to do to catch her urine, I will tell you how I do it
it does not have to be a sterile contianer, just washed and risned well for a USG test

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:10 am

its also possible that sheba just cant be fed raw... some dogs cant handle it, some can.. ruby cant, her kidney functions went to kidney failure (and she has malformed kidneys) and on raw she looked great but her kidney readings were off the charts.. i put her back on kibble, and her kidney functions returned to normal as a normal kidney should (and she has malformed kidneys)..
i would put her back on kibble and just scratch the raw idea for her...

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:01 pm

we are off to see vet

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:16 pm

paws and prayers here for you and Sheba

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:01 pm

so, we are back and $400 lighter :eek: They going to do blood and two tipes of urine tests. Doctor thinks it might be just UTI, and that she is too young to have kidney failure. I pray that he is right, but her symptoms (aside from the excessive thirst and wacky peeing pattern) do not match a UTI infection at all :( He is going to call me tomorrow with test results for some and few days later for other tests. Also, 2 weeks ago I weighted Sheba, and she was 46 pounds. Today she was 50.5 pounds. That's a pretty big jump. Doctor didn't know what to make out of it, but hopefully it is nothing bad. Only one comforting thought is that her appetite is normal.

Return to “Health Issues”