Tea Tree Oil

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bullheaded
Matured Bully

Tea Tree Oil

Postby bullheaded » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:44 pm

My mom and I have been looking for a good all natural shampoo for the dogs, but a lot of them contain tea tree oil. I have read several post on here about tea tree oil being toxic to dogs/cats. Can anyone post links to info I can read on this? My mom keeps telling me everyone she has spoke with about this doesn't know what I am talking about. They have never heard anything bad about tea tree oil. I remember reading a post on here about someone who bathed their dogs and I think it was their little dog went into seziures and people said it could be due to the tea tree oil being in the shampoo. If anyone remembers that and can find it would you please give me a link to it.

Thanks,
Chrissy

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Re: Tea Tree Oil

Postby pblove » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:15 pm

tea tree oil can also cause temp paraylasis. iI can't provide you with a link but do know a person that used it on their dog and he was paralyiszed for a few days afterwards.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:21 pm

I don't know about that but it made my allergy girl EXTREMELY itchy. :( She scratched herself bloody after I tried a tea tree oil shampoo.

Hoyden
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Hoyden » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:44 pm

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/dogshampoo.htm

Here is all natural dog shampoo. I love this stuff and use it on my dog. There is a review I wrote there. Noel from Connecticut. Birdie is prone to dry itchy skin and we don't have that issue anymore.

I am not sure what tea tree oil does to dogs, but I know that it's good stuff. My husband had really disgusting athlete's feet fueled by fertilizer & rubber boots, tea tree oil mixed into aloe cleared it up.

Tea tree oil can also used to treat & eliminate MRSA.

Keep in mind that it shouldn't be applied undiluted. It should be mixed into another medium. When I make toner for oily acne prone skin I use one drop per ounce of other fluid. Any more is over kill.

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:51 am

Hmmmmph, I am kicking myself right now.

Anyway, Chrissy I looked into this reference site. The info discusses the use of TTO on pets:

http://www.teatreewonders.com/toxic.html

I used Nutrivet 3-way healing cream on Halo when she had small cuts and when she would rough house with my mom's dog. Tea tree essential oil is the 13th ingredient listed on this product. I am deeply concerned - am I poisoning my puppy? How much is too much?

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:01 am

It's poisonous when ingested, and as such is frequently deadly to cats, who do a good bit more self-grooming than... well, anything on earth. But dogs do groom as well, so topical applications of anything may not be wisely considered topical only.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:23 am

Amie wrote:It's poisonous when ingested, and as such is frequently deadly to cats, who do a good bit more self-grooming than... well, anything on earth. But dogs do groom as well, so topical applications of anything may not be wisely considered topical only.

Including topical flea medication. My dogs groom each other so could get that stuff in their mouth and I'm way more cautious about that than a product that has TTO as one of its ingredients.

TTO is great - I think Hoyden gave you the best advice on use. We've used it in similar washes and wipes for dogs with skin problems. I will use it to make my own face wash, etc.

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:08 pm

Hoyden wrote:http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/dogshampoo.htm

Here is all natural dog shampoo. I love this stuff and use it on my dog. There is a review I wrote there. Noel from Connecticut. Birdie is prone to dry itchy skin and we don't have that issue anymore.

That stuff looks amazing! Currently I bathe the hairless wonder in straight oatmeal but would like to spice it up... might have to try one of these!

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:21 pm

Excellent point comparing topical flea medication to TTO Francsterdoo.

From reading everyone's feedback it gives me a sigh if relief.

Whoooosh.
:)

Hoyden
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Hoyden » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:50 pm

pacopoe wrote:
Hoyden wrote:http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/dogshampoo.htm

That stuff looks amazing! Currently I bathe the hairless wonder in straight oatmeal but would like to spice it up... might have to try one of these!

I highly recommend them. If her skin is super dry, I'd suggest the Olive & Shea soap. One of our clients bathes her Chinese Crested in that soap because it is super moisturizing.

You can order sample sizes of all of the soaps.

bullheaded
Matured Bully

Postby bullheaded » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:19 am

Thank you everyone for the advise. The soaps do look awasome. The biggest reason I was concerned about the TTo is my one dog always drinks the water as I bathe him. As far as topical flea stuff, I always put it on the dogs at night, after their last potty before bed. All of my dogs are seperated (3 are crated and the other 2 go in seperate rooms). The next day they are not allowed to play together, they get extra walks. Then the night after that they get bathes. Yes, I am a very paranoid person when it comes to things that I could prevent. Okay, back to the TTO, so if it is mixed with the other ingredients in soap, should he be okay if some is ingested? I always deter him from drinking the water, but I am not perfect and he does drink some. In case size is important, he is about 55lbs.

Thanks,
Chrissy

knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Postby knitter4years » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:17 pm

Cherry wrote:I don't know about that but it made my allergy girl EXTREMELY itchy. :( She scratched herself bloody after I tried a tea tree oil shampoo.

I'm a groomer. Not only did products with Tea Tree oil make so many of the dogs I bathed get hives, I got hives too. I am 100% using only a hypo allergenic shampoo or an oatmeal shampoo from now on. I use Les Pooch's hypo allergenic and their F&T shampoo, (the F&T is wonderful for cat fur or any oily coated dog) as well as Soothing Pet Botanics Oatmeal shampoo or Kenic Oatmeal Pet shampoo.

Way to many dogs have allergies to fragrances added to shampoos, and in general, dogs have very sensitive skin. To make them smell good, I spritz them with a Pacifica fragrance, and or Catatonic spray which I by directly from the National Cat Groomers Association of America. I also use Bay Rum, an old barber shop favorite. I've had no trouble with a spritz or two on the top of the fur with any animal.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:22 pm

^^ Is the bay rum beneficial in any way? (I do love the smell of it too)

knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Postby knitter4years » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:47 pm

mtlu wrote:^^ Is the bay rum beneficial in any way? (I do love the smell of it too)

I haven't heard of it having any health benefits, but it smells so good. I have a dog who rolls outside if you know what I mean. She gets sooooooo stinky. She smells wonderful after the baths she gets them every time she gets stinky, which is a lot. I get a lot of compliments from our customers on how good the dogs smell when they leave. Thank you for sharing that you like Bay Rum too.

I got the ideas of Bay Rum and from the President of the National Cat Groomer's Association of America. Bay Rum and the Catatonic spray from the NCGIA go very very well with the Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange Spray I also spritz.

Return to “Health Issues”