Riley being rushed into the emercency vets today;

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
RileysMommy
Adolescent Bully

Riley being rushed into the emercency vets today;

Postby RileysMommy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:23 pm

for the past 3 days she has been throwing up and not eating, she ate sunday night and i tried to get her to eat lastnight and today but nothing, she hasnt been drinking water today either and I am terrified! I hope she is going to be ok! We will be going to the er around 2pm since i dont have a car.

Problem is.........If she is emited into the er I cant afford to pay for it after. Is there any help in vegas for people who cant afford heavy vet bills? Would the Nspca or anyother humaine services help me?
I have been up since 6am looking for an emergency vet service. I found one, if nothing else I will be taking her there.

Pray she will get better :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray

I can't see my life without my bestfriend!

anyone who has ANY info please, leave a comment. I don't want to be running around all day long dragging my poor puppy with me. One stop er visit is what I want but torn between going to the nspca for help or the emergency vets.
Anyways...I will be writing back later tonight with what is going on and keeping everyone updated on her.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Re: Riley being rushed into the emercency vets today;

Postby Libby » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:29 pm

I'm so sorry,I hope she is ok!

You can apply for care credit www.carecredit.com

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:38 pm

Here is a whole list. I'll be praying for Riley!!

http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2009/10/2 ... vet-bills/

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:39 pm

Pit Bull Rescue Central has a good guide of tips here: http://www.pbrc.net/fund/financial.html

GusBus
Matured Bully

Postby GusBus » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:27 pm

I would apply for care credit as well, even just to have it as a back up. They usually give you a period of no interest (6mos - 1yr) to get the balance paid off. Fingers and paws crossed that Riley is okay!

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:50 am

hope all is ok with Riley :hug:

Rachel&Halo
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Rachel&Halo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:08 am

How is Riley doing?

Paws, fingers and toes crossed over here..

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:35 am

Praying for and thinking about you and Riley.

RileysMommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby RileysMommy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:02 pm

Well, it isnt Parvo or anyother doggie sickness. Vets did tests and came back clean. Now it is down to three things:

1.)Someone poisened her
2.) she ate something she wasnt supposed to
3.) Pet food posining (this has the same symptoms as parvo)

The vets wanted me to deposit 500$ for the hospitalization and about 1500$ for only 3 days of being there along with other tests and, xrays. This would run me into the ground! I cannot afford this so I took her home and fed her water all night long. I watched her closely. She had a horrid night but it was such a nice thing to wake up and see her laying next to me on the bed like she always does.

Riley is weak still but she did get up and follow me today, she did drink on her own and kept it down but that isnt enough to make me happy. I am looking in the backyard for ANY sign of purposly poisoning and if so I will be calling Nspca for investigation.

our other dog is fine! she hasnt had her shots and I am assuming if it were parvo Peaches would have had it already which is why i am thinking the obvious now. She got into something saturday night and it made her sick!!!

I am sure she will be fine, if she doesnt show improvment by thursday I am taking her back in for an x-ray and blood tests.

-.-

If someone did do this...why?
why would they hurt a puppy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:57 pm

I'm glad to hear Riley is feeling a bit better and hope she continues to improve.

People do cruel things all the time. It's also possible she just got into something.

When I was worried about my neighbors I always took my dog out on leash and made sure she didn't eat anything. I still always watch them so if they even look like they are going to pick up something off the ground I can make them leave it.
The other night I saw Lily pick something up from under the pine tree. . . she ran in and past me, I called her back and sure enough she had a bone in her mouth. Garbage from somewhere. I think the crows and squirrels sit in the tree eating their garbage and if they drop it then they just leave it on the ground and that's how it got into my yard. If she would have eaten it she def would have been sick from it.

Lily once also got an incense stick inside the house (which I didn't find until days later up under a cupboard). She got SO sick, trip to ER vet, nothing stuck, etc. but then was better within 48 hours.

The Fate
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Fate » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:33 pm

You know Im as im reading this I just get more frustrated and mad at Animal hospitals. They are suppose to be there to help but instead ALL ABOUT MONEY. They charge ridiculous ammounts of cash and could care less if you have it or not. No money equals no vet work.. Its just sickning and sad to read stuff like this, I understand where you're coming from, I just experinced a high hospital bill for blue. He almost died and they said at the end of the day it comes down to money... I hope the best for you and Riley and pray everythings ok...

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:49 pm

You know, I understand the frustration, but vets have to stay in business.
It's not their faults that owners don't have the funds to hospitalize, or etc.
Our vets love dogs, the ones we use primarily.
One of the others we use occasionally seems to have a bit of burnout, but overall, vets do love their clients or they'd not be in that business.
It's kind of unfair to assume that they ought to do their work for free because you can't afford it - if word got around they'd soon be out of business.
You don't go look at new houses and tell the owner you really don't have the money right now so could this just be a freebie?
How about a car salesman? Or the grocery store??

Plus I'm always kind of amazed at people who claim to not have money to vet their dogs yet drive in a nice new(er) car, have ipods and the lastest phones, they have internet and cable and all the other nice things in life.
I'm not saying you (the OP or Fate) in particular but just in general it's been an observation I've made over the years.

The Fate
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Fate » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:26 pm

msvette2u wrote:You know, I understand the frustration, but vets have to stay in business.
It's not their faults that owners don't have the funds to hospitalize, or etc.
Our vets love dogs, the ones we use primarily.
One of the others we use occasionally seems to have a bit of burnout, but overall, vets do love their clients or they'd not be in that business.
It's kind of unfair to assume that they ought to do their work for free because you can't afford it - if word got around they'd soon be out of business.
You don't go look at new houses and tell the owner you really don't have the money right now so could this just be a freebie?
How about a car salesman? Or the grocery store??

Plus I'm always kind of amazed at people who claim to not have money to vet their dogs yet drive in a nice new(er) car, have ipods and the lastest phones, they have internet and cable and all the other nice things in life.
I'm not saying you (the OP or Fate) in particular but just in general it's been an observation I've made over the years.

Im not saying they should do free work, im saying they should be 'somewhat' reasonable. I mean look at Rileysmommy for example, the dog came back clean after tests and yet they still wanted 1500 to keep the dog there for a few days ?? Thats outrageous ! So are they paying the staff 30 bucks an hour ? No, And by all means dont take it the wrong way Im not knocking our vets, because I know our vets love our animals. My problem is with the ER and after hour hospitals that could careless about your dog, only thing they care about is the mighty dollar. Geez we wouldnt want the DVM to lose their BMW now would we...

Sorry Riley for going a bit off subject, dont mean to flood your thread but it just gets me mad reading stories like yours.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:50 pm

The Fate wrote:You know Im as im reading this I just get more frustrated and mad at Animal hospitals. They are suppose to be there to help but instead ALL ABOUT MONEY. They charge ridiculous ammounts of cash and could care less if you have it or not. No money equals no vet work.. Its just sickning and sad to read stuff like this, I understand where you're coming from, I just experinced a high hospital bill for blue. He almost died and they said at the end of the day it comes down to money... I hope the best for you and Riley and pray everythings ok...

Does the OP have a regular vet they go to? with the other dog unvaccinated , it might be a really good idea, to get associated with a vet just for check up and vaccinations so they know or have record of the dog being a patient there, for events such as this, this can eliminate "dragging from clinic to clinic" as most vets will take time for emergencies for established patients, it might cost a bit extra but not as much as a walk in ER clinic.

I hope your dog is ok, and if I am off tract I apologize.

I surely hope your dog will be ok. how scary!

RileysMommy
Adolescent Bully

Postby RileysMommy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:27 pm

So, She started eating a little tonight, very little and she is drinking on her own now and being alot more active. She still sleeps alot when we are in the room but that is to be expected. I put a blanket on her. she likes that and she doesn't look as sick as she was yesterday that is for sure!!! when we got home from the vets all she did was sleep and refuse food and barely drank. She seems to be improving though<3<3 I bought her pedyalite, cottage cheese and rice and beef. have been offering food but she refuses the rice and beef but has ate a very little bit of cottage cheese.

Since the vet ruled out parvo I am sure it was most likely human food or too much food. it may have upset her stomach and make her sick. I never had my dogs EVER get sick like this but i am doing what I can to save her.

I don't drive a BMW, I don't even own a car, I don't even have a license.
I dont own an Ipid, I lost my job in july and havent been able to find any work. So sometimes PEOPLE DO have issues and WOULD LOVE MEDICAL help when we are in such a tight spot. Everyone has felt the strain of money at one point and if not, GOOD for you because my boyfriend and I are. I refuse to leave my puppy's side for anything!!! I havent left the house since she got sick and olny did when we went to the vets and when my boyfriend was home to keep an eye on her while i went to go get Pedyalite and what the vet told me to feed her. if that isnt love I don't know what is then!! Hell, I didn't even sleep lastnight when we got home, I was too worried about her to sleep so I stayed up all night until 5 am then finally passed out.

Peaches isn't my dog and I have ASKED Mark to get her shots but it is like talking to a wall!!!!
BUT again, since Riley doesnt have any canine illnesses We dont have to worry as of yet.
Not sure if puppy's can still get doggie illnesses after they get their shots. Riley has her shots our other dog doesNOT.

Return to “Health Issues”