Dogs and Feeding Fish

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Dogs and Feeding Fish

Postby pitbulliest » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Hey guys. I am currently working part time at a pet food store. I know a thing or two about dog nutrition. However, recently, I had a customer come in and literally argue me down (I wasn't really arguing, just disagreeing!), that fish is absolutely one of the worst things you can feed a dog. She claims that nutritionists have determined that it causes kidney failure and liver problems, and furthermore, causes crystals and kidney stones?

I know that most of the higher grade foods out on the market have fish as part of their ingredient list. It is almost difficult to find a food that doesn't have some trace of fish.

Does anyone know anything about fish and dogs? Please comment :)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Re: Dogs and Feeding Fish

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:52 pm

I'm asuming it is pretty similar to cats being fed fish based food.

I recently asked my vet this question about cats. She said the studdies and information regarding kidney issues from fish based food were outdated and proven incorrect. Feeding a healthy cat fish based food should not cause any issues.

Like I said I am assuming it is the same for dogs.

AmberD
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby AmberD » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:26 pm

I think a lot of that has to do with the preservatives they use in the fish, as some are linked to cancer and other health issues. I know most pet food companies use fish preserved with Ethoxyquin, and a lot of people refuse to feed their pets anything with E in it. Another issue could be the difference between wild caught fish and farmed fish; farmed fish have been shown to have much less nutritional value than fish caught in the ocean. That's what I could think of right off the bat, but I'm not a vet or a nutritionist :)

pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbulliest » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:29 pm

that makes sense. I try to buy foods that are made in Canada, as the meat sources are local...at least that's what they say. I also pick higher goods.

Anyone heard of the new food, Acana?

It is similar to Origin and Wellness' Core.

?

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:26 pm

Acana is made by the same company that makes Orijen :thumbsup: From what I've read, I like the Acana but it's really hard to find in my area and I really don't want to pay shipping on dog food.

pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbulliest » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:45 pm

mtlu wrote:Acana is made by the same company that makes Orijen :thumbsup: From what I've read, I like the Acana but it's really hard to find in my area and I really don't want to pay shipping on dog food.

You guys get the Canadian brands in the states too? That's kinda cool.
I know that there are some border issues now too. We cannot get any of the American foods with beef in it anymore either.
I wish I knew what was really going on. Sometimes I am really scared of what my dog is eating. These days, its hard to tell what is really good and what isn't. We may think we're feeding great food, but how do we really know?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:12 am

pitbulliest wrote:that makes sense. I try to buy foods that are made in Canada, as the meat sources are local...at least that's what they say. I also pick higher goods.

Anyone heard of the new food, Acana?

It is similar to Origin and Wellness' Core.

?

I have been feeding Acana here(Maryland)
I went to buy a bag last Tues and the shelves were emplty but for 3 bags. The store owne said the company is having a hard time gtting one of the ingredients and they won't use lesser quality
They would only let me buy one bag and said they will not be getting any more in before at least Feb(per Acana)

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:18 am

pblove wrote:They would only let me buy one bag and said they will not be getting any more in before at least Feb(per Acana)

That's crap.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 pm

I feed a fish only diet and Cherry does best on it. (Wellness Ocean Core and Wellness 95% canned salmon) She is sensitive to all other proteins we've tried with her so far. She's been on it about a year and her levels have always been perfect. Never, ever a problem with kidney stones or any bladder issues.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:56 pm

I've read some places that the chemical/preservative they use in the fish HAS to be in all fish meal by law(in the U.S.) The amount of the chemical in the meal differs between dog food companies.
If my dog's diet consisted of a large portion of fish, I may be concerned about mercury levels and heavy metal poisoning.

Other than that, I don't see anything else to be much of a concern.

pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbulliest » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:49 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:I've read some places that the chemical/preservative they use in the fish HAS to be in all fish meal by law(in the U.S.) The amount of the chemical in the meal differs between dog food companies.
If my dog's diet consisted of a large portion of fish, I may be concerned about mercury levels and heavy metal poisoning.

Other than that, I don't see anything else to be much of a concern.

That's a good point. The only problem is, a lot of the grain free foods do contain fish in their list of first few ingredients. Its difficult to shop around, unless you buy a crap food with lots of grains and chicken byproducts, that has no fish. Its kind of a no win situation :dunno:

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:06 pm

When it really comes down to it, all kibble is crap - no matter how high quality and pure it is - it's still food that's been seperated, extracted, ground up into powder, mixed and baked into hard little balls.

You would have to feed a whole prey model diet to do it right - but most people don't have the time, space and/or stomach to do that. :)

So, you've gotta pick yer poison :))

pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbulliest » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:49 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:When it really comes down to it, all kibble is crap - no matter how high quality and pure it is - it's still food that's been seperated, extracted, ground up into powder, mixed and baked into hard little balls.

You would have to feed a whole prey model diet to do it right - but most people don't have the time, space and/or stomach to do that. :)

So, you've gotta pick yer poison :))

Well, on a more positive note, at least kibble is better than it used to be back in the day. Nowadays, dogs seem to be living longer as well, although that also depends on what their owners are putting into them. That's why I'm a big fan of people food and healty table scraps (no chips or cookies, ok?) lol

:thumbsup:

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:26 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:
pblove wrote:They would only let me buy one bag and said they will not be getting any more in before at least Feb(per Acana)

That's crap.

It is literally almost impossible to get Acana or Orijen right now in the states. Champion Pet Foods, the manufacturer, cannot keep up with the demand outside Canada. They've even stopped supplying some distributors at all.

I work in a pet food store. I'm not enjoying telling customers we can't get their food. We're not doing it on purpose, and we're not trying to make people mad. Its how it is.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:09 am

I ordered a 30 lb bag of Orijen regular adult and a 15 lb bag of the fish formula from an online source (doggiefood.com) back on Dec. 24 I think, and my order JUST shipped from their facility yesterday. I had no idea it was going to be so hard to get, since the site said the food was in stock. This is the first time we're trying the brand... maybe the dogs will do horribly on it so I won't have to worry about availability. lol

Return to “Health Issues”