Severely obese lab...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
sebb0191
Matured Bully

Re: Severely obese lab...

Postby sebb0191 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:47 am

Cruzer wrote:This is an interesting thread. Im curious to see what the OPs vet said. To me it doesnt sound like the regular vet is on target here. They have a tendancy to rush you in and out. I had my pup vaccinated for parvo but for some reason it didnt get documented. I went in to get x rays for cruz's hips and they sort of rushed me out of there without really getting any decent information on what the surgery is about. I suppose it is the same for doctors and humans though. I am in agreement though, from my personal research about humans and thyroid problems, what one doctor says is normal may still benefit from treatment, when symptoms are present.

This whole thing has just been a nightmare! I feel bad for my mom because she really is trying, but I feel like she is getting dragged along. She's been going to this vet for years with every dog we've had and I think she really trusts their opinions. I, on the other hand, do not trust anyone, which becomes a problem haha.

I talked to my vet who found it strange that the original vet gave us the results so quick; he said that thyroid panels have to be shipped off to be tested and the results returned within two days. I'm really not even going to pursue what was going on at that other vet. Finn is going to my vet today (he was booked yesterday) and we should know the results by Friday, possibly Monday with it being New Years and what not.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:40 pm

Sounds like they just did an in-house Total T4... mediocre for canines, very useful for cats... get the records and you'll know for sure.

Good luck today!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:05 pm

RuffMuttK9z wrote:Please consider having the thyroid tests evaluated by Dr. Jean Dodds.

http://www.hemopet.org/services.html

RuffMuttK9z- I agee with your suggestion of using Dr Dodds

seeb0191
Dr Jean Dodds is the same vet I was telling you about and in the links I sent you last night

"These lab profiles are being offered as part of a collaborative research project on thyroid, metabolism, behavioral and seizure disorders. Special prices have been assigned to these tests."
she will review test results from other labs for $30.00
5 panel thyroid test for $65.00
4 panel thyroid for $55.00
for detailed instructions/prices go to:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... ctions.htm

sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby sebb0191 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:15 pm

pblove wrote:
RuffMuttK9z wrote:Please consider having the thyroid tests evaluated by Dr. Jean Dodds.

http://www.hemopet.org/services.html

RuffMuttK9z- I agee with your suggestion of using Dr Dodds

seeb0191
Dr Jean Dodds is the same vet I was telling you about and in the links I sent you last night

"These lab profiles are being offered as part of a collaborative research project on thyroid, metabolism, behavioral and seizure disorders. Special prices have been assigned to these tests."
she will review test results from other labs for $30.00
5 panel thyroid test for $65.00
4 panel thyroid for $55.00
for detailed instructions/prices go to:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-ang ... ctions.htm

I've been looking at this website, I had no idea such a thing existed! I love this forum more and more every day. If these results come back fishy, I'll definitely be sending it in. I like my vet a lot; I really believe he has good intentions, and he's not afraid of my pit, which I did encounter when I first got him. I really think he would be honest with me about the prognosis.

There is good news though! We weighed Finn today when we were at my vet, and he's lost almost a pound in a week with the food switch! I know it's not a lot, but it's the first loss we've seen in a year and a half. Celebrate the little things!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:54 am

Yea for weight loss!! :)
(be sure to weigh him on the same scale every time)

sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby sebb0191 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:18 am

pblove wrote:Yea for weight loss!! :)
(be sure to weigh him on the same scale every time)

It was an exciting event! I also bought my parents a chuck-it so my dad can throw the ball for Finn to chase. My dad is a retired pro pitcher and used to throw for our dogs all the time, but he's had his 4th rotator cuff surgery recently and was told to quit throwing. So I brought over my chuck-it yesterday just to see if Finn even liked it, and he went crazy. And it allows my dad to throw with the left arm without much force. They're going to work on fetch - Finn is a hoarder and will go get the ball, but guard it in a corner. Throw another ball, and it goes in his collection haha

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:36 pm

Congrats on the weight loss! I think I missed it somewhere in this thread, but which new food did your parents decide on feeding Finn?

sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby sebb0191 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:58 pm

PaigeJ wrote:Congrats on the weight loss! I think I missed it somewhere in this thread, but which new food did your parents decide on feeding Finn?

They are in the process of switching to Kirkland's. He's eating about half and half right now to prevent tummy problems. I am actually considering switching my pit to that as well, it seems like a pretty good choice.

brit.sm
Matured Bully

Postby brit.sm » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:16 pm

I just read this entire thread...really interesting. Poor finn :( Seems a lot of Labs get over weight. My stepmother has 2 labs and one is VERY obese and can't even get up on her own anymore..she even gets out of breath and has to sit back down when she walks 3 steps... even her tail is fat! :( but they recently diagnosed her with a thyroid disorder or something. I feel sorry for them because she feeds them cheap food which is probably why they are over weight. I'm happy to hear you parents are switching foods and that finn is losing weight! :thumbsup: 1 lb is better than nothing! its a start!! Hope to hear more good news soon!
Good luck! :pray

sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby sebb0191 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:26 pm

brit.sm wrote:I just read this entire thread...really interesting. Poor finn :( Seems a lot of Labs get over weight. My stepmother has 2 labs and one is VERY obese and can't even get up on her own anymore..she even gets out of breath and has to sit back down when she walks 3 steps... even her tail is fat! :( but they recently diagnosed her with a thyroid disorder or something. I feel sorry for them because she feeds them cheap food which is probably why they are over weight. I'm happy to hear you parents are switching foods and that finn is losing weight! :thumbsup: 1 lb is better than nothing! its a start!! Hope to hear more good news soon!
Good luck! :pray

I'm really glad a lot of people are learning from what we're going through! It's still not resolved, but Finn is doing just fine. The food seems to be helping since he's lost a little bit of weight. That Kirkland's food is such a great price too! It's a 40 pound bag of the weight control stuff for less than $25 at costco! That's what won my mom over - it was better than Iams ingredient-wise and it was even cheaper. It also has a very strong smell, which attracted Finn right away! I'd definitely recommend it for a dog struggling with obesity.

Anyways, we get his blood test results back on Monday due to the long holiday weekend, so I'll be back to share the news one way or another!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:33 pm

That's good - I've always found less intake and more output (exercise) has worked well here.
For sore joints you do have to go a bit slower though on the exercise.

sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby sebb0191 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:52 pm

msvette2u wrote:That's good - I've always found less intake and more output (exercise) has worked well here.
For sore joints you do have to go a bit slower though on the exercise.

We even looked into a local vet rehab center who had a pool on site for dogs recovering from joint surgeries, but they would not allow us to use it just to exercise the fat boy :)

He's still been walking everyday for 45 minutes or so... we'll see over time if the limping during exercise goes away. We've always worried about the leg he limps on though. He broke it when he was 4 months old trying to jump over garden fencing in the backyard. Now that he's so heavy, I feel like that leg will always hurt worse than the others due to the previous injury. Hopefully, getting the weight off will allow that leg to hurt less on their walks.

doglove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby doglove » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:59 pm

sebb0191 wrote:Thank you for that... the vet had said that three cups would be what he would need, so I'll have my mom call the vet back and see what she says about two. I've been telling her for a year to switch that food to something better, but she doesn't want to pay the cost for that food. I'll try to reason with her that she's spending it all on vet bills when it could be spent on good food!

She doesn't want to pay the cost of good food, but would rather watch her dog suffer, deal with joint pain, pay for medication and vet visits due to obesity, and eventually deal with the health risks obese dogs suffer from every day?

I think your mom might need a reality check. A dollar a day (what most quality foods will cost you) is a lot cheaper and healthier than constant vet visits, pain, and medications.

Cruzer
Adolescent Bully

Postby Cruzer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Ummm I pay more than a dollar a DAY! It is about 50 a month for my guy.

sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby sebb0191 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:45 pm

doglove wrote:
sebb0191 wrote:Thank you for that... the vet had said that three cups would be what he would need, so I'll have my mom call the vet back and see what she says about two. I've been telling her for a year to switch that food to something better, but she doesn't want to pay the cost for that food. I'll try to reason with her that she's spending it all on vet bills when it could be spent on good food!

She doesn't want to pay the cost of good food, but would rather watch her dog suffer, deal with joint pain, pay for medication and vet visits due to obesity, and eventually deal with the health risks obese dogs suffer from every day?

I think your mom might need a reality check. A dollar a day (what most quality foods will cost you) is a lot cheaper and healthier than constant vet visits, pain, and medications.

I understand where everyone is coming from, trust me. I'm very proactive when it comes to the health and well-being of my dog. I'm not trying to paint my mom is a negative light; she is a great person and loves her pets as much as anyone else. Through all my years living with them at home growing up, they've never used anything other than Iams and Purina. We've never had an obesity issue with any of our dogs and I honestly think she doesn't know how to handle it. I just don't want it to look like my parents are bad pet owners, because they're fanastic. I believe my parents thought if they just stepped up the exercise, the weight would come off; I just don't think they were prepared to face a potentially life-long disease, which is what we could be looking at.

Return to “Health Issues”