question for all the male owners out there

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
KANE_D
Newborn Bully

question for all the male owners out there

Postby KANE_D » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:09 pm

i was just wonderin when your little guy started liftin his leg to pee, Kane is 6 months now and still squats like a girl im beginning to question his sexuality lol

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Re: question for all the male owners out there

Postby CSilverman89 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Lifting the leg is usually a marking behavior.
Dover was neutered young, and is almost 2, he hasn't lifted his leg once yet.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:16 pm

Titan is 9 months old now and still squating like a chic lol.

HollyJoy
Super Bully

Postby HollyJoy » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:17 pm

depends on the dog. i've never raised a male puppy so I can't say for certain. I would assume sometime around teenage time? 8-10 months maybe?

I have a 3 year old male who squats forward to pee if he's peeing on flat ground. When peeing on something though, he'll lift his leg.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:33 pm

They mature at different ages, most likely he'll lift his leg eventually. 6 months is still quite young. They do tend to start younger if they are around other males to learn it from.

KANE_D
Newborn Bully

Postby KANE_D » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:39 pm

Sarah wrote:They mature at different ages, most likely he'll lift his leg eventually. 6 months is still quite young. They do tend to start younger if they are around other males to learn it from.

thats what i figured he is around 3 other pits every day 2 girls and 1 boy all 3 fully grown

DarkMoon
Super Bully

Postby DarkMoon » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Ahhh... The first leg lift. I know I kind of felt proud the first time my dog did it, after I stopped laughing and wiped the tears from my eyes.

Nubs was about 1 1/2 years old when he lifted his leg for the first time. I had only had him for about 3 months, and I was quite tired of his aim with his pee. I don't know how that dog did it, but about every time he pee'd he hit his chin with his pee. Yup! No joke at all. He would either hit his chin or chest, baby wipes were stationed at the back door because of this.

One beautiful summer morning, I leashed up Nubs as normal and headed out on out normal path through the woods. I lived just down the road from a public path that was next to a river, it was just a perfect place to walk a dog. This day I could tell something was different with Nubs as soon as we entered the path. At the very beginning of the path there was a wooden marker then a huge walnut tree next to it. Next to that was the river embankment that was about 4 ft down right into muddy waters.

I was shocked as Nubs lifted his leg to mark for the first time, in fact I grinned from ear to ear. Nubs was still wobbly attempting to stand on 3 legs (He was known for tripping himself on all 4's so 3 legs was just asking for touble). He hiked his leg up there as far as he could. Kept lifting, and lifting and lifting.... and over her went. Yup! He lifted his leg so far up that he lost balance and tipped over... right down the embankment and into the mud below. I had let go of the leash at that point because like heck was I going into the mud. Here I was standing holding my sides as Nubs comes back up the embankment, the biggest bully smile ever on his face, then shook the mud right off of him and all over me.

Yup, I'll never forget his first leg lift. I still laugh thinking about it.

sargesmom
Newborn Bully

Postby sargesmom » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:02 am

Ahhhh the first time sarge lifted his leg... Lol it was like seeing one of my kids take their first step or go to school the first day... He was about 10 months old and believe I was questioning his sexuality too lol so I don't blame you but give him time he will probably learn faster if he is around the other mail a lot...

sargesmom
Newborn Bully

Postby sargesmom » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:03 am

Male... Damn auto correct iPhone

Blu3Br1ndle
Newborn Bully

Postby Blu3Br1ndle » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:08 am

Sarah wrote:They mature at different ages, most likely he'll lift his leg eventually. 6 months is still quite young. They do tend to start younger if they are around other males to learn it from.

Yes. This is true. My 7 month old APBT pup loves playing with my 2 year old GSD and the other day I seen that right after my Shepherd lifted his leg on a tree to mark his territory, my Pit went to the tree right afterwards and did the same. He squats most of the time but once in a while he imitates his "BIGGER brother".

I remember that my GSD was around 11 months or a little bit older when he started doing this.

:peace:

sid the muss
Newborn Bully

Postby sid the muss » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:21 am

i think you have a queer dog...j/k my older boy didn't start till around 1 1/5 years old and still squats most of the time. my younger boy is about a 2 now and i've only seen him lift a couple times to mark things. both were neutered real young.

MyNameSpaghetti
Matured Bully

Postby MyNameSpaghetti » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:42 am

Don't feel bad, I adopted my boy at 5 years old intact. I had him immediately neutered and never once in over 3 years have I seen him lift his leg.

DoggyDaddy
Matured Bully

Postby DoggyDaddy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:46 am

Let's see...I think Diesel was 13-14 months when He started lifting his right rear leg. He still squats in the yard though, weird.

Bluebear
Super Bully

Postby Bluebear » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:30 am

Blue is going to be 3 soon. He was neutered at 6 months and squats to pee in the yard. He does lift his leg, but rarely and only when we're out on a walk. He started doing it after he saw my friend's male Rottie mark a tree trunk this past summer.

Loribl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Loribl » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:23 am

Radar is about 8 and he does BOTH. Gypsy lifts HER leg to mark. When she just pees, she squats. Go figure... :huh?:

Return to “Health Issues”