looking into ear cropping

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
robs65nova
Newborn Bully

looking into ear cropping

Postby robs65nova » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:27 am

does anyone know of a good vet or breeder in the la , Ca area

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: looking into ear cropping

Postby tiva » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:20 am

Don't do it! Don't do it!

Or at least first read the entire sticky at the top about the ear cropping debate.

maximusflys
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby maximusflys » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:22 am

There is a good vet down here in San Diego if you are seriously interested and don't mind the drive.

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:54 am

Here's an informative link about cropping. While I'm not anti cropping, it needs to be decided after good research. Good luck.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4892

Chrissie
Newborn Bully

Postby Chrissie » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:27 am

I have 5 pits. 3 females and 2 males. I had the males ears cropped and they turned out great. No problems at all..and the boys were fine. They werent suffering or crying or acting like they had been put thru hell. If cropping your dogs ears is something YOU want to do, then I say go for it! Sadly I live in Nova, so I cant help you out with who to use.

I know many people will say dont do it!!!! Its NOT animal cruelty, unless you do it yourself. I LOVE how my boys look and so does everyone else.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:31 am

Our clinic no longer offers ear cropping as we have had 2 anesthetic incidents the past year... one resulted in the death of the dog. It was a great dane too, so it wasn't a small puppy that got cold or anything. Cropping is an art form and the procedure takes a while... its REALLY rough on young puppies to be under anesthesia that long, and its a major risk.

Anyone who says their dog didn't hurt at all wasn't there the first 5 hours after recovery... the only procedures we use morphine-type pain relievers on are broken bones and ear crops... and the pups still paw and shake and cry for hours after the procedure. It wasn't uncommon to have to dedicate a technician to holding the pup for a few hours in the afternoon just to keep the dogs from destroying their ears.

Maybe I'm biased due to my personal experiences... but I would never recommend this procedure.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:25 am

I'm not for cropting-unless for a medical reason. Even in show dogs, if your dog has different ears, then your dog has different ears, and if that's a point against you-then obviously your dog isn't as asthetically perfect as you thought.

However-that's how I feel. I think if you are going to do it-do your research. And maybe you have-who knows. But I'd go above just reading about it. If you find someone who is willing to do it for you, ask for before and after pictures of dogs they've worked on-so you know what you're getting yourself into...maybe ask for client references-something of that nature.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:28 am

Misskiwi67 wrote: its REALLY rough on young puppies to be under anesthesia that long, and its a major risk.

Yeah for sure, and if you're going to do it, at least spay/neuter the dog while it's under so you aren't just doing the surgery for cosmetic purposes and putting their lives at risk for looks.

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:22 pm

I have a cropped dog. He went through hell. I love him with or without his ears, but I will never crop another dog again for anything other than medical reasons.

They healed, but we had to go on three rounds of antibiotics and there was a LOT more scar tissue than there should have been.

If you're absolutely serious, please make sure you find a vet who knows what they're doing and stay on top of it. If I hadn't stayed on top of Ryker's ears, there could have been far more risk than there was. I just can't justify doing that to another one of my dogs.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:19 am

Awww...puppy Ryker :inlove: He does have one of my favorite crop jobs (although I prefer natural)

Harley_chik
Newborn Bully

Postby Harley_chik » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:51 pm

C'mon, you had to know this would turn into a cropping debate, right? I suggest you talk to some show breeders, perhaps attend a dog show and find out who they use. I don't have a cropped dog, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it if I owned a certain breed(s). I would prefer to have it done while the pup is still w/ the breeder b/c the breeder knows who to go to. Many Great Dane, Dobermand and Schnauzer breeders offer to do it this way. If that weren't an option I would certainly consult my breeder for suggestions and see pictures of crops the vet had done. It's not something I would take lightly but I don't subscribe to the docking/cropping is evil thought. When we get rid of puppymills and dog fighting I'll consider it.

Return to “Health Issues”