Questions on Breeding.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
killer.
Newborn Bully

Questions on Breeding.

Postby killer. » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:56 am

Ive learned a little bit on breeding pitbulls but I still have a few questions that I am hoping someone can answer for me. Is there a certain time during the females heat that is best for breeding? When the males penis blows up how long are they usually stuck together? And final without having a vet check for pregnancy Are there signs I can look for, for her to let me know she is pregnant? Thank you!

Cruzer
Adolescent Bully

Re: Questions on Breeding.

Postby Cruzer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:06 pm

I would do a lot more research before breeding your dog. First off, they need to have a proven temperment, both parents. This means waiting until they are much older and second you must get their hips tested and certified. Some breeders think it is enough that their vet just checks them out quickly and says they see no problems with a dog, but you need to truely screen a dog for many things.

Adolescent Bully

Postby 444 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:09 pm

If you don't know the basics...breeding is not for you.You don't just stick two pet dogs together and hope for the best.The vet should be involved at all points during the process...

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:15 pm

Please read this post prior to thinking about breeding your dog.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49670

And, please check out all the dogs available in the Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs section of this forum. Might change your mind about breeding

killer.
Newborn Bully

Postby killer. » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:48 pm

I dont mean to be rude but im not looking for people to tell me not to breed. Im doing my research before breeding. Obviously Im new to it and interested so im not going to know it all right off the bat. Some questions you just cant find in a book or on the internet. No matter what i read im sure people will have there own opinion with breeding so i wanted to see if someone expirenced with breeding could give me some tips. My breeding desision isnt coming from a forum it is to help me find out a little more on it from the peoples prospective.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:59 pm

The people you got your dogs from should know the answers to these questions.
This forum does not promote breeding unless it's done correctly.

Someone needs to come up with a list of questions to post for people when they come here, wanting info on breeding.
Questions about their dogs and breeding that they should know and have the answers to.
If some of the answers don't jive with responsible breeding, then you tell them why their dog should not be bred.

Adolescent Bully

Postby 444 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 pm

You need to start with good dogs that can be shown or worked to prove worthy of breeding.At shows or in the field you'll meet people that have been through it all.Try to find a mentor.The internet,books etc. pale in comparison to hands on.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:08 pm

killer. wrote:Some questions you just cant find in a book or on the internet.

This is the internet. Go find a breeder who will let you work for them and see how it happens – a real breeder who actually has goals for their breeding program (not about money or how "great" their dog/bitch is); has a good grasp of genetics; does the proper health testing and has dogs with working and conformation titles.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:17 pm

There are some very reputable breeders who will mentor you - IF - IF - you want to follow their responsible breeding practices.
Good luck in your search.

Did not want to come off strong or mean - and I apologize if I did. But last week, I was asked if my APBT was a male and if so would I be willing to stud him out. No question about temperament, titles, health or anything. I have a female. Found out last night - he found a male and is breeding him to his female - because it will bring him some much needed $.

Poohs Dad
Matured Bully

Postby Poohs Dad » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:19 pm

killer. wrote:I dont mean to be rude but im not looking for people to tell me not to breed. Im doing my research before breeding.

Well we don't mean to be rude but Back Yard Breeding is not condoned OR taught here. If you don't understand the "locking" process you are not ready to breed anytime soon. ..and maybe a grammer or spelling class wouldn't hurt either.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:55 pm

It's pretty sad when people get soooo defensive when they are obviously off track. We do not need any more pit bulls in this world that do not pass the minimum requirements AND testings!!!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:37 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:This forum does not promote breeding unless it's done correctly.

That's really the bottom line.
If you get a less-than-friendly response to your questions (such as you just have) it's because we do not condone backyard style breeding, where a person's only requirements for breeding stock is that one has a male part and one has a female part.
There's so very much more that goes into planning a litter, we get pretty upset when people want to "give it a shot", since many of us work in rescue and are sick to death of phone calls and emails pleading us to take dogs who've been dumped alongside the road, or are in kill-shelters with just hours left until euthanasia, etc.
And folks like you do not think they are a part of the problem because "Oh I have 10 poeple who want a puppy just like my dogs so I have homes for them all already", well, yeah, for the next 4-6mos., or even a year, until they fail to train puppy, or puppy grows up and doesn't like the other dogs in the home, or they move and cannot take the dog, etc. on and on and yes you are a part of the problem - you just have blinders on :(

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:06 pm

This book contains the answers to all those questions:

Book of the Bitch

Chapters 5-7. I would suggest actually buying the book as a reference, but the whole thing is available at that link.

Cruzer
Adolescent Bully

Postby Cruzer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:03 pm

I think there is a good reason the info you seek on breeding is not readily available. It is to stop back yard breeding. I honestly dont care if this comes off as rude or not, but my dog (while I love him) should not have been born. I have a puppy of 9 months who has severe hip dysplasia and because the owner of the bitch did not want the litter, the pups were hand fed/nursed by humans and never learned proper socialization with his mom and litter.

This forum, and most all other pitbull forums, is highly against back yard breeders. These are people who think they have a good looking dog and want to mate it to produce more like it, but do not consider health and temperment of the sire/bitch first. There are plenty of homeless dogs and especially apbts because it takes a very special owner to train these dogs properly. And when the dog becomes DA, which a lot do, the dog usually ends up being put down because no one wants to deal with it, besides those like us, on this forum.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:48 pm

killer. wrote:Ive learned a little bit on breeding pitbulls but I still have a few questions that I am hoping someone can answer for me. Is there a certain time during the females heat that is best for breeding? When the males penis blows up how long are they usually stuck together? And final without having a vet check for pregnancy Are there signs I can look for, for her to let me know she is pregnant? Thank you!

Well, let's start with the basics first, how old is the dog in question, and what's the point of breeding your dog? And this isn't being rude, this is being honest. Is your dog titled? health tested? have at least a seven generation pedigree with dogs that have titled in conformation, and working events, and health tested sire and dam? the point of breeding is to breed quality, not because your dog is blue (not saying your dog is, just a example.), or has a nice personality, or because your dog is pretty. You would be amazed at what can pop up genetically in a litter of puppies, everything from a shody temperment, to bad hips, crappy elbows, day blindness, ataxia, I really can go on a long list here with this.
If the answer is no to those questions, then to put it simply, don't bother breeding. I would say go take a peek in the shelter system, you will a variety of beautiful pure bred dogs that are a result of irresponsible owners, and irresponsible breeders.

Return to “Health Issues”