Eating too fast/Not chewing enough now on raw diet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
N8swifey
Newborn Bully

Eating too fast/Not chewing enough now on raw diet

Postby N8swifey » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:55 pm

Hey all

So our girl has been on raw diet for some time now and we have been loving it. Zuki no longer has problems with diarrhea or UTIs. Her primary source is chicken. Just recently though Zuki has started to eat her food too fast/swallowing large portions. One of us is always there to watch her while she eats and a typical day consists of 1lb of a chicken leg quarter split into two parts (1 morning feeding, 1 evening feeding). The other night Zuki started to choke and my husband, panicked, stuck his fingers down her throat to help her regurgitate her food. We've never had any problems with our girl biting us, but we know this isn't good for her. The following day she appeared to choke again and seemed like she had some soreness in her throat later. She loves ice cubes and we've been feeding her some after meals to sooth her throat, but we're worried as she is continuing to not chew her food enough. I held on to her meal tonight to have her chew more, but she still seemed to have soreness in her throat (licking her lips, swallowing, and the occasional pawing at her mouth). Seems to have no trouble breathing and the soreness and symptoms don't last long. So my question is: Anything we can do to ease the soreness from swallowing too much/etc the other day?
Any ways people have found to get their pups to eat slower/chew more while on raw? Raw diet has cleared up everything and I don't want to lose it now :pray !

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Eating too fast/Not chewing enough now on raw diet

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:27 pm

feed big.
if it's too big to gulp, she'll have to chew it.

my girl's a gulper, so i can't feed her chicken necks, turkey necks, or anything smaller than a chicken quarter.
for the past few days, she's been eating turkey. as in: one whole turkey.
she'll take off what she wants, and when she's full, she'll walk away. it's big, she has to work at it, and no choking! :thumbsup:

N8swifey
Newborn Bully

Postby N8swifey » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:34 pm

I must just be a worrier because I'm so hesitant to give her unmeasured portions. She's had a whole quarter before and I have a hard time believing she'd walk away when she's full haha. Thanks for the reply!

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:38 pm

N8swifey wrote:I must just be a worrier because I'm so hesitant to give her unmeasured portions. She's had a whole quarter before and I have a hard time believing she'd walk away when she's full haha. Thanks for the reply!

maggie's 52lbs at the moment, but she's carrying extra weight as she recently had knee surgery. She eats about 1lb of food per day, give or take. some days she has a huge meal (when she gets a pork leg), and the next day i'll just cut back a little.

i was acctually suprised the first time i gave maggie a 'big' meal and she walked away when she was full. i was expecting to have to take it away from her at some point, but she proved me wrong!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:51 pm

feed big. and you can try feeding partially frozen. Seems to make them slow down sometimes.

once you get more used to raw, you will become more comfortable feeding larger sized pieces. For an adverage sized bully breed, a leg quarter (which is thigh + drumstick) just may not be enough.

What you can do is feed her a bigger more complicated meal for a couple of days and them skip dinner and instead provide a snack of an egg and a piece of whole grain toast or something. That way you are working off of what she needs to eat per week rather than per day -- which gives you more flexibility.

N8swifey
Newborn Bully

Postby N8swifey » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:14 pm

Very helpful advice, thank you! :)

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:49 pm

You can also try holding a section with an old washcloth for a better grip and helping her learn.

But don't expect her to actually sit and chew up food. They don't have the teeth nor the jaw mechanism to "chew". Rip, tear, swallow. :thumbsup:

My Boston still tries to swallow pieces that are too big sometimes, then she gags it up and quickly gets back to work. It can be alarming at first, but it's not abnormal.

Of course there is always the potential for choking, so monitoring is essential.

My Boston choked on a piece of kibble once. :\ It was a scary experience to say the least!

Return to “Health Issues”