Staph infection?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Staph infection?

Postby APBT<3er » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:33 pm

Every winter Dolly gets little rashes on her back legs. I have lost so much faith in my vets that I don't even know what to do anymore. The first time they say: Its a food allergy, switch her to lamb and rice did that for two months and noticed no change. Brought her back they say ahhh its hot spots, heres some cream, this time, it helped a bit, but winter changed to spring, so I wasn't sure what to do. Now they're back this year and it appears just as bad as ever maybe even a touch worst. The vets are closed today and I'm back to work on Monday so I'll have to bring her in Wednesday night to the late clinic. This morning my boyfriend noticed little rings and thought it was ring worm so he did some research instead he discovered staph infections and we're pretty darn sure this is what she has. Its not mites, my other dog would have it, same with ring worm, and its not mange. I think it must be a staph infection and that shes getting them because of the dry heat in the house, its probably giving her dry skin which doesn't help the matter. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to keep her as comfortable as possible until Wednesday?

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Re: Staph infection?

Postby APBT<3er » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:34 pm

I forgot to mention - its a new vet i'm going to, I'm not messing around with those other vets anymore they don't deserve to see my dog and they don't deserve my dollar.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Have you ever given her Benedryl to help with the itch?
Do you happen to have any Genocin topical spray left over from the other vet visits?
She will probalby need to go on antibiotics, but until Wed. the Benedryl might help alleviate some of the scratching?
I hear you on loosing faith with the vets. :sad:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:00 pm

When in doubt, skip the vets and see a dermatologist. Its NEVER wrong to get a second opinion.

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:00 am

never thought to see a dermatologist, thats a good idea! I don't have any benedril or any topical spray, they gave me an ointment for the hotspots, they never even did a skin graph... They were quick to grab my dollar though... I'm going to check and see if the date on the cream is still good.

Kelli
Newborn Bully

Postby Kelli » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:07 am

Definetely go see a derm. I wasted so much money and time going to vets before someone FINALLY recommended me to one. Everything has been under control ever since. :)

Return to “Health Issues”