excercise when it is cold.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

excercise when it is cold.

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:53 am

I am used to being able to take my dogs on walks every day or to just let them run around the yard for awhile each day for excercise. It has been around 30 degrees or lower most days here in Maryland (I know I know nothing compared to where most of you guys live). Anyways, to me it is freezing!! I haven't been able to take the puppies out as much to get them the excercise they need. Any suggestions on what else I could do? They both have hoodies on when I take them outside but we all wind up cold within a few minutes.

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Re: excercise when it is cold.

Postby Kirstan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:31 pm

It was 18 to 22 here for a week and a half and both my 2 were out without jackets for an hour run with me down at the fields. They run off lead so they must put in 6 or more miles b/c I do 4 and they're flying the whole time. I feed more when it's that cold. They were also running hills and playing in a stream at the rent a park - also without jackets. They are strictly inside dogs so they don't have a 'winter' coat built up but they preferred to run unhindered. I put their jackets on them when we went to Bachelor b/c they were in the truck with the windows cracked and I wanted them to stay warm. They did. I think they preferred the cold sun to the warm(ish) rain. No difference in exercise for them - just increased food.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Re: exercise when it is cold.

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:19 pm

i guess i will try to suck it up then. i haven't been giving them the exercise they need because it has been so windy and cold here. when it's cold these two don't stay out for too long.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:35 pm

I don't take the dogs out nearly so much in the winter time as in the summer, but we do go out at least twice a week for an hour or so hike. They go to the park once or twice a week to play fetch for about 45 minutes, too.

If its cold out, the short haired dogs just get bundled up in their coats, I bundle up in mine, and off we go lol

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:22 pm

ilovedenalintitan wrote:I haven't been able to take the puppies out as much to get them the excercise they need. Any suggestions on what else I could do? They both have hoodies on when I take them outside but we all wind up cold within a few minutes.

YOU get a coat. The dogs will be fine if you keep moving. My dogs get MORE exercise in the winter because they can run and run and run for two or three hours without the risk of overheating. Summer sucks because they can't run for more than about 5 minutes without access to a pool or creek.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:17 pm

Khan and I don't walk in the winter once it gets cold. He shivers and shakes and so do I lol

We play a ton of fetch inside. We do some tug and flirtpole(he only will play with the cat one...so inside it works) I'm looking into buying and electric treadmill for both of us to use. He refuses to use the manual one I built for him :po:

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:53 pm

I'm a baby and the windchill as been -10, so I have a spring pole set up in the basement and have cleared an area for the flirt pole. My exercise is on the stationary bike :))

If you have an unfinished basement and access to the load bearing ceiling beam you are set for a spring pole !

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:45 pm

thanks guys! i am such a baby when it gets below 40 degrees lol. but i def will bundle up more and let these puppies out more to burn off some energy.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:54 am

I grew up in Maryland, and I remember how COLD it seemed. Now I live in Wisconsin, and we've been having a spell of days where it gets up to only 4 degrees, and the nights are 30 below. Still, if it's above 0, the pitties go out (with booties on and jackets when it's between 15 degrees and 0. Above 15, they don't want to be bothered with the extra gear. Below 0, they just go out for their potty breaks, and we do a lot of running around the house). Just keep running around and they'll be fine.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:24 am

Tiva are your dogs going nuts yet? It's been -30 every morning for the past few days, we haven't even broken 0 yet, the dogs are so stir crazy, we are ready to kill each other. We play running up and down stairs mostly, maybe I should make a flirtpole and make some room in the basement today.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Neither of my dogs like how cold it has been outside.
We play fetch in the basement all the time. I also get them to follow up and down the stairs for every little thing. I put a t.v. down there so I have something to do while I'm throwing toys around. lol
I'm trying some 'mind' games like hiding their ball, getting different toys, more Kongs to eat their dinner and we spend a lot of time cuddling in bed and getting doggie massage too. We've made it through 4 winters so far this way. I'll be looking for a manual treadmill at the thrift stores. I'm mad at myself because I had one but couldn't find any instructions for how to rework it (which I finally found are pretty simple) and threw it on the curb before I found them. Duh!

Basement Ball:

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:12 pm

GoingPostal wrote:Tiva are your dogs going nuts yet? It's been -30 every morning for the past few days, we haven't even broken 0 yet, the dogs are so stir crazy, we are ready to kill each other. We play running up and down stairs mostly, maybe I should make a flirtpole and make some room in the basement today.

We dont have steps but I have a flirt pole so when Jaz is extra ancy we play.. Flirtpoles are from heaven :) LOL

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:50 pm

A few days ago they were, since even with booties on, their feet would get too cold too quickly for much outdoor exercise. We're spending 10 days up in a tiny (10 ft X 20 ft) cabin on Lake Superior, so there's not a lot of room indoors for exercise. And with 2 dogs, I can't really use food dispensing toys--they don't fight, but I don't want to get them tense over loose food skittering around the floor. All we can really do is the couch/bed biathlon: leap from couch to bed to couch to bed on command, sometimes hanging from the tug.

But yesterday it warmed up a bit, so they're practicing skijoring.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:33 pm

We're having trouble with exercise in the winter too. Roscoe loves to play in the snow, but his nails keep splitting and his feet end up all bloody. I guess I'll try paw wax tomorrow and see if that helps. Austin gets snow in his feet and then flops over, and Michael has to carry him into the house. Today we played with him in the driveway instead of in the deep snow and that worked better. We keep talking about getting them a carpetmill, I think that might be the solution.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Re: exercise when it is cold.

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:25 pm

Today my fiance came home from work since he has a bad headache. After he woke up feeling better he went outside with the pups. They went in and out all day long! They had a least a good 1 hour run outside if you put all the times they went out. Hahah. Both of them really love the snow but Titan always ends up with bloody paws and messed up nails so can't leave them outside much to play in it. It doesnt snow much here which is a good thing. But it has been around 18 degrees with the wind chill here for the past couple of weeks. We have been playing tug in the house a lot and just letting them run around and be fools in the house since they don't like the cold too much.

Return to “Health Issues”