excercise when it is cold.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Re: excercise when it is cold.

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:51 pm

I put sweaters on all my dogs(except Tank(Great Pyrenees/lab mix)) and I put on my winter gear. It has been around 30 degrees here. I have to go outside and play with them to get out some of their energy or I would go mad! lol

We have stopped going on our daily walks though. I play with the spring pole or flirt pole and fetch with Mya(American Bully). Fetch with Tank and spring pole and fetch with the dachshunds and Chops(pug). We are all freezing(except Tank, he loves it!) by the time we are done but, they are non-crazy and tired by the end of it. And of course, they are let outside for regular bathroom breaks throughout the day. They also play with their toys inside during the day.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:54 pm

Mya&theSiebenDackels wrote:I put sweaters on all my dogs(except Tank(Great Pyrenees/lab mix)) and I put on my winter gear. It has been around 30 degrees here. I have to go outside and play with them to get out some of their energy or I would go mad! lol

We have stopped going on our daily walks though. I play with the spring pole or flirt pole and fetch with Mya(American Bully). Fetch with Tank and spring pole and fetch with the dachshunds and Chops(pug). We are all freezing(except Tank, he loves it!) by the time we are done but, they are non-crazy and tired by the end of it. And of course, they are let outside for regular bathroom breaks throughout the day. They also play with their toys inside during the day.

I brought hoodies for both of mine. Denali loves hers and prances around like miss princess in it. Haha. They have so much energy so I feel bad not giving them the walks they are used to and all the running around. But as I said today they ran and ran and ran! Like others have said they are running so they aren't too cold. I just needed to bundle up more and suck it up so these two can let out their energy.

knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Postby knitter4years » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:02 pm

RuffMuttK9z wrote:
ilovedenalintitan wrote:I haven't been able to take the puppies out as much to get them the excercise they need. Any suggestions on what else I could do? They both have hoodies on when I take them outside but we all wind up cold within a few minutes.

YOU get a coat. The dogs will be fine if you keep moving. My dogs get MORE exercise in the winter because they can run and run and run for two or three hours without the risk of overheating. Summer sucks because they can't run for more than about 5 minutes without access to a pool or creek.

I really appreciate your saying that about summers and overheating. Dogs overheat soooooo easily. I'm surprised at how well my dogs tolerate cold. I've learned to get out with mine rain or cold or whatever. They don't have any problem at all as long as they are moving like you said.

ilovedenalintitan
Adolescent Bully

Postby ilovedenalintitan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:00 am

knitter4years wrote:
RuffMuttK9z wrote:
ilovedenalintitan wrote:I haven't been able to take the puppies out as much to get them the excercise they need. Any suggestions on what else I could do? They both have hoodies on when I take them outside but we all wind up cold within a few minutes.

YOU get a coat. The dogs will be fine if you keep moving. My dogs get MORE exercise in the winter because they can run and run and run for two or three hours without the risk of overheating. Summer sucks because they can't run for more than about 5 minutes without access to a pool or creek.

I really appreciate your saying that about summers and overheating. Dogs overheat soooooo easily. I'm surprised at how well my dogs tolerate cold. I've learned to get out with mine rain or cold or whatever. They don't have any problem at all as long as they are moving like you said.

My two def overheat a lot quicker in the summertime. So it does seem like now and falltime are the best times to take them out and let them run. I am going to the park tomorrow with Titan. I wish I could take Denali =(

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:37 pm

If your dogs are getting bloody paws, snowballs, or broken toenails from rough snow, booties are the answer. They're only $2.50 each from sled dog suppliers. Use lots of treats when you first put them on, of course. And get the ones with the velcro right at the top: http://www.dogbooties.com/products/330decobo.html Booties that are slightly too big are better than ones that are slightly too small, if your dog's feet are on the edge between 2 sizes.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:48 am

I got the "toughtek" ones from them and they don't stay on for beans. They seem like they are too short, they hit right above his dewclaw. We tried them again yesterday and they were off in about one minute.

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:49 pm

I just ordered Jazmine some boots she's the only one of the dogs that have cut her feet on the ice.. she's even been to the vet due to a nasty infection in one of them... hopefully they will get here before the snow melts..

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:49 pm

I just ordered Jazmine some boots she's the only one of the dogs that have cut her feet on the ice.. she's even been to the vet due to a nasty infection in one of them... hopefully they will get here before the snow melts..

Return to “Health Issues”