chihuahua food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
picara
Bully Ambassador

chihuahua food?

Postby picara » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:53 am

Kay, so, my bff just took a snowshoe siamese and a little bitty 6-month chihuahua puppy away from his drunk-a$$ violent nephew.
He's good with the cat (has 23 in his multi-million Manhattan river-view apt., but you'd never know it since it's the cleanest house I've ever seen), but hasn't had a dog since way years ago, growing up on the farm.
Since the start, the dog's been eating cat food, and I said that has to stop.
All the food I know is big kibbles for big-jawed bulldogs like Horace and Hazel. Any of you guys with wee puppets know a good food I can recommend to them for the baby dog?

Money is, ahem, not an object.

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: chihuahua food?

Postby buckaroo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:16 am

My Chihuahua eats canned Innova.

spammie

Postby spammie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:26 am

I moved this to health where it may get a more traffic.

picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby picara » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 am

spammie wrote:I moved this to health where it may get a more traffic.

thanks, I debated 'health' vs. 'misc.' and though misc. might get the chihuahuas! :)

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:24 am

Diamond Naturals small breed dog food which you can get at Tractor Supply and other feed stores. The kibble is really little and easy for a dog that small to eat. When looking for dog food, look for small breed because usually the kibble is smaller. I think the small bags of Natural Balance(they sell this a Petco) have little kibble pieces. I am not sure.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:46 am

We have a Chihuahua mixed pup and he's got a horrible immune system due to the "puppy strangles" or juvenile pyoderma.
It's thought to be auto-immune.
I bought him a bag of Solid Gold Hunchenflocken and he eats the canned Solid Gold as well. His poops are nice and firm.
For such a tiny dog I'd spring for some quality stuff especially since it may have eaten just junk in the past. Petco carries Solid Gold, and wellness, the wellness made our foster puppy sick, so we're going with Solid Gold now.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:09 pm

My chihuahua eats a raw diet.

Those tiny teeth must have friction on them for cleaning purposes. Chihuahua mouths are cramped and very susceptible to tooth decay and disease starting in the mouth. Even if you choose not to investigate raw diet I highly recommend regular raw meaty bones as treats for teeth cleaning reasons.

I started him early without a problem (chi's can be very picky eaters) but my roommate and the owner of my pup's sire turned her dogs over to raw after I encouraged her on the benefits. Her male had literally green teeth from his diet. To this day they are nice and white and clean, not to mention he nicely leaned out after being obese.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:31 pm

My Chi also eats raw (thanks again Adrianne) - the condition of her teeth was the motivating factor for me, but she LOVES it. Prior to raw she ate Nature's Variety small bites and had no issues chewing it.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:37 pm

Murfins wrote:My Chi also eats raw (thanks again Adrianne) - the condition of her teeth was the motivating factor for me, but she LOVES it. Prior to raw she ate Nature's Variety small bites and had no issues chewing it.

yay! Im glad it turned out well :peace:

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:37 pm

I'd recommend raw over any commercial dog food. :thumbsup:

However, my second choice would be one of the better quality canned foods, like Innova, Wellness, etc.

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:43 pm

For tooth health, my Chi gets regular raw meaty bones. I believe the quality of canned food is better than dry kibble so that is why the canned Innova.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:47 pm

Wee Bits by Solid gold is super small, perfect for puppy chis and adult chis

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:37 pm

buckaroo wrote:For tooth health, my Chi gets regular raw meaty bones. I believe the quality of canned food is better than dry kibble so that is why the canned Innova.

Canned food has much less grain, if any, then dry food, so it would definitely be my first choice when it comes to commercial dog food.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Maryellen wrote:Wee Bits by Solid gold is super small, perfect for puppy chis and adult chis

This is what my parents' chis eat.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:10 pm

if money is no object then I would find a dog nutritionist and have a diet devised for this pup (after a CBC/thorough vet exam by a holistc vet)

Return to “Health Issues”