Flea medication and allergic reactions~

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bevo_pit_bull
Newborn Bully

Flea medication and allergic reactions~

Postby bevo_pit_bull » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:59 pm

hi everyone, i was just wondering if anyone could help us out. We have been using Frontline Plus on Bevo for about a year now. Before we apply the Frontline we always try to wash him first, and then apply the medication. The past two times we have used the, the day after, Bevo developed red welts all over his body. He doesn't inch the welts, and he's demeanor is fine. But it just looks so bad. We think he's having some sort of allergic reaction to it.

We want to try other flea medications, (i.e. Revolution, K-9 Advantix, etc.) but from our research, Frontline is the best medication.

any help please?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Flea medication and allergic reactions~

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:02 pm

Try bathing him without giving the frontline... is it the shampoo or the frontline??

I like both of the other two medications your mentioned, they all just have their individual pros and cons. For instance, advantix is very greasy, and bad for cats. Revolution doesn't control ticks. Otherwise, both would be fine medications to try if it turns out your pup is having a bad reaction to frontline.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Maven had a reaction to Advantix. around the first of the year. She still has some left over dryness and itchiness down her back. I did give her a wee little bit of relief from the itching the other day with a 1/4 tab of benadryl. But she is so sedative sensitive with the benadryl that that is very rare that I break it out for her.

knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Postby knitter4years » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:51 pm

bevo_pit_bull wrote:hi everyone, i was just wondering if anyone could help us out. We have been using Frontline Plus on Bevo for about a year now. Before we apply the Frontline we always try to wash him first, and then apply the medication. The past two times we have used the, the day after, Bevo developed red welts all over his body. He doesn't inch the welts, and he's demeanor is fine. But it just looks so bad. We think he's having some sort of allergic reaction to it.

We want to try other flea medications, (i.e. Revolution, K-9 Advantix, etc.) but from our research, Frontline is the best medication.

any help please?

Topical flea/other bug meds like Frontline should be put on several days after a bath or a week before the bath. The substances interact with the dogs skin oils which are stripped after a bath.

Also, many dogs have allergic reactions to dog shampoos. If you put the medication on without the bath, you can see if it's the medication or the shampoo. I only bathe dogs with hypo allergenic shampoos. I have had to many allergic reactions with regular shampoos.

Return to “Health Issues”