food change ?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

food change ?

Postby loye » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:55 pm

I recently switched my dog to a better food and completely have him weened off his old food. i have noticed now he has horrible gas! I was told before that gas is common when upgrading, how long camm i expect to deal with this? Its awful. LOL he could easily clear a room

knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Re: food change ?

Postby knitter4years » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:06 pm

loye wrote:I recently switched my dog to a better food and completely have him weened off his old food. i have noticed now he has horrible gas! I was told before that gas is common when upgrading, how long camm i expect to deal with this? Its awful. LOL he could easily clear a room

His stomach has to get used to the new diet and it should improve as his intestines' flora and peristalsis adjust. It's very unlikely that it's allergies, although you'll hear that a lot. I'd wait it out for a while if I were you.

For a while my Dachshund was a pooper of large mounds and my pittie Beauty was gassy. We laughingly considered renaming them Defecation and Flatulence. : )

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:28 pm

Try some unflavored yogurt with live cultures... it can help calm the gas faster. Just a couple tablespoons should be enough once a day for a couple days.

knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Postby knitter4years » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:20 pm

knitter4years wrote:
loye wrote:I recently switched my dog to a better food and completely have him weened off his old food. i have noticed now he has horrible gas! I was told before that gas is common when upgrading, how long camm i expect to deal with this? Its awful. LOL he could easily clear a room

His stomach has to get used to the new diet and it should improve as his intestines' flora and peristalsis adjust. It's very unlikely that it's allergies, although you'll hear that a lot. I'd wait it out for a while if I were you.

For a while my Dachshund was a pooper of large mounds and my pittie Beauty was gassy. We laughingly considered renaming them Defecation and Flatulence. : )

I met a lady on the morning walk with her two dogs and she nicknamed them poopsalot and tootsalot. : )

Return to “Health Issues”