Ari's drinking habits

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Ari's drinking habits

Postby Maven » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:04 pm

The first night Ari came home he drank like he had never had a "glass of water." I figured he was dehydrated and it would pass.
BUT he still gorges himself to what looks like a serious level of "bloat" everytime he sees a water bowl. At one point I thought maybe he was sort of drinking like it was his last drink as he didn't have free choice water in his original home. Thinking as he hydrated he would get over this behavior. He really hasn't.
Do they have the ability to ration or to realize they should drink or eat when opportunity arises as lean times may be around the corner? IF not, how do I get him to just slow down with the intake. I have restricted intake when in the house as he springs a leak ever 5 seconds. Outside he has free choice. I pull the water from everyhwere at 7 pm so I have a hope of sleeping without a zillion potty wake ups. Help he is drownin...

msvette2u

Re: Ari's drinking habits

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:53 pm

How old is he?
When he pees, is it yellowish or quite pale?

knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Postby knitter4years » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:42 am

Maven wrote:The first night Ari came home he drank like he had never had a "glass of water." I figured he was dehydrated and it would pass.
BUT he still gorges himself to what looks like a serious level of "bloat" everytime he sees a water bowl. At one point I thought maybe he was sort of drinking like it was his last drink as he didn't have free choice water in his original home. Thinking as he hydrated he would get over this behavior. He really hasn't.
Do they have the ability to ration or to realize they should drink or eat when opportunity arises as lean times may be around the corner? IF not, how do I get him to just slow down with the intake. I have restricted intake when in the house as he springs a leak ever 5 seconds. Outside he has free choice. I pull the water from everyhwere at 7 pm so I have a hope of sleeping without a zillion potty wake ups. Help he is drownin...

I don't know you or Ari at all except for what you wrote. Is he new to you?

I had a foster dog in 09 who drank unbelievable amounts of water. The vet checked her for everything he could and said she was compulsively drinking. Although we weren't told it by the shelter when we got her, it became clear she had been really screwed in the head up by humans. She was the most messed up pup I'd seen till then; I mean psychologically. She was a lot of work and I loved her to pieces and she made a lot of progress with us. About 2 weeks after we got her, we looked at her teeth and they had been sharpened. That surprised us even though we could tell how off she was psychologically.

I'd have her checked out physically to make sure it's not a physical problem. Then, proceed from there.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Yes he is new to us. He is 11 or so weeks old. It is pale. I He drinks a gallon ( an 11 week old doggie gallon) and then he proceeds to spring a leak every couple of minutes.
I don't know that restricting water like trying to give his smaller amounts in really regular intervals will help him or hinder him. IS it a psychological thing? OR if I just leave as much water out that he can handle and maybe he out grows this. I am really surprised that he doesn't throw up any of the water he consumes. He gets so round that he looks like either end would be a good way to get rid of some of it.
He will be neutered shortly and I will have them run a full panel. I hate to over think that somehow his kidneys could be compromised somehow already.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:17 pm

Maybe you could PM Misskiwi if she doesn't jump in this thread. She's a vet.

I sure hope Ari is ok. He's one of the cutest little pups.

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:53 pm

I find any new foster I bring in does this. They are worried about resources and want to make sure they get everything they can when they can because they are not sure of the next time they will be offered.

Newton is like this as well but for different reasons, he has brain damage probably from distemper and can not regulate anything he finds exciting.........water, food, toys anything........just goes wild, no impulse control. Tested for many many things, diagnosis is still crazy :))

knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Postby knitter4years » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:07 pm

Maven wrote:Yes he is new to us. He is 11 or so weeks old. It is pale. I He drinks a gallon ( an 11 week old doggie gallon) and then he proceeds to spring a leak every couple of minutes.
I don't know that restricting water like trying to give his smaller amounts in really regular intervals will help him or hinder him. IS it a psychological thing? OR if I just leave as much water out that he can handle and maybe he out grows this. I am really surprised that he doesn't throw up any of the water he consumes. He gets so round that he looks like either end would be a good way to get rid of some of it.
He will be neutered shortly and I will have them run a full panel. I hate to over think that somehow his kidneys could be compromised somehow already.

Ooh, he's a baby. I wrote about a full grown dog. It's unheard of to me for a pup to have compulsive behavior at 3 months so I'm thinking a health problem. Now I'm really concerned. He needs a check up for sure; right away. That's very abnormal behavior for an 11 week old.

jboodro
Newborn Bully

Postby jboodro » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:35 pm

im no vet, but i posted on here a while ago about my pup doing that. he was 13 weeks when i got him and he would go nuts with the water. i got him checked at the vets office like 3 times and they never really gave me a solid answer. now hes 6 and a half months and he FINALLY regulates his water. i just let him drink as much as he wanted until 8 or 9 at night then take him for a short walk. it just takes time i guess, if theres no physical problem.

knitter4years
Adolescent Bully

Postby knitter4years » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:37 pm

jboodro wrote:im no vet, but i posted on here a while ago about my pup doing that. he was 13 weeks when i got him and he would go nuts with the water. i got him checked at the vets office like 3 times and they never really gave me a solid answer. now hes 6 and a half months and he FINALLY regulates his water. i just let him drink as much as he wanted until 8 or 9 at night then take him for a short walk. it just takes time i guess, if theres no physical problem.

Thanks for posting. I'm glad you got the puppy checked. I haven't had a puppy with excessive water drinking behavior. I'm glad your pup grew out of it.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:40 pm

Ilovethepits wrote:Maybe you could PM Misskiwi if she doesn't jump in this thread. She's a vet.

I sure hope Ari is ok. He's one of the cutest little pups.

Aww thanks. And me too. He has grown on us. Maven and me both. And we are a tough couple o ladies for a little guy to wiggle his way in with;)
Yes I was hoping she would post. I am a fan of vets;) True, actually some of my dearest friends are vets.. though of the equine sort... He seems to have slowed down some today. I am allowing water at free choice outside only. I have yet to see him make himself drink to the "popping limit" today. I hope I didn't miss something. I had an easy day at work and was only gone from 5- 8 am. And they both went back to the barn with me at 2:30. I can't imagine I missed his bloated look.

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:48 pm

jboodro wrote:im no vet, but i posted on here a while ago about my pup doing that. he was 13 weeks when i got him and he would go nuts with the water. i got him checked at the vets office like 3 times and they never really gave me a solid answer. now hes 6 and a half months and he FINALLY regulates his water. i just let him drink as much as he wanted until 8 or 9 at night then take him for a short walk. it just takes time i guess, if theres no physical problem.

I am hoping this is the case, jboodro. Thanks for mentioning your experience. I do really hope he doesn't do this for the next several months. I feel kind of bad for him, feeling like he needs to gorge himself not knowing when the next drinking opportunity might occur.
Then people will ask.. or at least it always happens with horses, if they are capable of reasoning. IMO resource guarding, would indicate that some reasoning does happen. I do think horses reason as well... but dogs seem to on a higher level. Again JMO from the outside looking in.
I dunno

wuzzles8
Newborn Bully

Postby wuzzles8 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Not sure where you are with pup's drinking, but we see many of these at the vet clinic on a regular basis. For puppies, 6 times out of 10, it is simply a fetish with water. They think it is a toy of some sort. It can range from a difference in temperature grade (ooo...tastes different) or even a small chemical change makeup in the water due to the water company doing something different that attracts the pup to the "new" taste.

The other times it has been due to a UTI. We had a lab pup in the other day, and the owner was worried about his dog's water consumption. After testing, it turned out that the dog had a UTI. The urine may also have an odor if there is a UTI.

It is also possible that the puppy has diabetes mellitus, and the condition that is similar to juvenille-onset (Type I) diabetes in humans. That is probably not the case, but if you are very concerned, have the puppy tested!

Just some random thoughts, even though the thread seems to be over.

sebb0191
Matured Bully

Postby sebb0191 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:26 pm

I actually had my pup tested for diabetes at the age of 4 months because I was so concerned with his obsessive drinking... and equally frequent urinating. He did not have diabetes, thankfully. The vet said he was in no danger and to still let him have free access.

At a year or so, it got much better. Like someone else had said, the dogs from questionable backgrounds try to take in all the resources they can. I found him at 7 weeks in a bad part of town, so that could have had something to do with it. I will say, though, that he still drinks more often than any dog I've seen. We're talking a half gallon of water when we go throw the ball for more than an hour. Although a lot of that water does get sloshed out of the little bowl... but you get the picture :)

wuzzles8
Newborn Bully

Postby wuzzles8 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:03 pm

sebb0191 wrote:I actually had my pup tested for diabetes at the age of 4 months because I was so concerned with his obsessive drinking... and equally frequent urinating. He did not have diabetes, thankfully. The vet said he was in no danger and to still let him have free access.

At a year or so, it got much better. Like someone else had said, the dogs from questionable backgrounds try to take in all the resources they can. I found him at 7 weeks in a bad part of town, so that could have had something to do with it. I will say, though, that he still drinks more often than any dog I've seen. We're talking a half gallon of water when we go throw the ball for more than an hour. Although a lot of that water does get sloshed out of the little bowl... but you get the picture :)

Phew...no diabetes! That is a blessing. It just sounds like your pup just LOVES the water! Some do! Let him have fun! :thumbsup:

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:09 pm

He seems to have slowed down a ton since he has free choice water. He no longer gets bloated. I DO feed him before he gets water. Here's hoping it continues!!!!

Return to “Health Issues”