Brina - another surgery

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Enigma
Forum Junky

Brina - another surgery

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:52 am

Brina just went in for her dental surgery an hour ago... I hate when i have to put my dog under anaesthesia, especially an older dog. But it was necessary, her teeth were horrible, at least 10 of them need to be extracted. Here's the bad side of her jaw:

Her teeth are the last thing we have to fix, other than that she is as healthy as a dog at her age and with her past can be. The vet checked her heart and she thinks she hears a mild heart murmur, but she said it's nothing to worry about. We can do an ultrasound in the future to check it out. Then she was examined by an orthopedist who really checked all of her joints, he thinks Brina has a mild hip dysplasia in her left hip, but as long as she's not in any pain or discomfort there's really not much they can do. And i'm already giving her glucosamine supplements so that should help. The stomatologist said her teeth are not as bas as i thought so that's good too, they are doing the surgery at this moment and i should have her home in a few hours.. Keep your fingers crossed that everything will go smoothly!

jamielvsaustin

Re: Brina - another surgery

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:21 am

Fingers and paws crossed! :hug:

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:55 am

I just spoke to the vet.. The surgery went good, the right upper side of her jaw was really bad (the one on the pic), they had to remove all of the teeth, plus some in the front. She will have to be on strong pain meds for the next couple of days.

They removed a lump on her paws so her leg has to be wrapped also. I'll have to be careful that it won't get wet - great, we have a huge snowstorm at the moment, we are getting hit pretty badly.

I'm gonna go take her home in an hour.. Poor baby, i hate that she has to go through so many surgerys.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:05 am

Enigma wrote: Poor baby, i hate that she has to go through so many surgerys.

I would too, except for the fact that you are bettering the quality of her life. The benefits out weigh the risks, n'est-ce pas?

What's the plan for food? Canned? Watered down? Or does she eat raw?

When she gets home give her a big hug and kiss from me.

spammie

Postby spammie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Heal quickly, Brina :hug:

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:43 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:I would too, except for the fact that you are bettering the quality of her life. The benefits out weigh the risks, n'est-ce pas?
I agree, she had severe paradonthosis and had to be in pain because of it so she's better off without her teeth.
What's the plan for food? Canned? Watered down? Or does she eat raw?
She does really poorly on any kind of raw so the plan for now are cooked chicken breasts. :thumbsup:

She's sleeping now, poor baby... She's really out of it, she was unable to walk so i had to carry her, she did loose 3 lbs in the last two months so she's now weighing in at a healthy 47lbs, which is an ideal weight for her. But damn she's still heavy to carry around lol Oh well...

Here she is..

I just hope she will start eating right away... She has to, she's on some heavy painkillers for the next couple of days.

GusBus
Matured Bully

Postby GusBus » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:06 pm

I hope Brina is feeling better soon!

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Oh Enigma, she looks so sad. :( I hope she feels better very soon. My heart would break if every time I looked at her, she had that face.

Will yogurt sit well with her? I hear that's good for dogs with upset stomachs...and I know the reason her stomach would be upset would be because of the medicine but it might help some. Poor girl. Maybe frozen chicken broth...let her lick ice cubes, I bet that'd feel good on the gums, and at least that way she's getting something.

Give her a nice butt scratch for me :hug:

Maven
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Maven » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:57 pm

Bless your soul!
The surgery thin can be an exhausting ride for all.
I have found that organic baby food is a great way to get a dog with oral issues or eating issues to eat post op. Of course look at the ingredient list for onion and steer clear.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:16 pm

awww poor love :hug:

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:42 pm

She doesn't want to eat. At all. I've tried multiple things and she didn't want to eat anything. That's so unusual for a dog who would sell her soul to the devil for a piece of chicken... :sad: I had trouble giving her meds that she has to take every 12 hours. It breaks my heart seeing her like this.

I hope for a better day tomorrow.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:53 pm

I'm sorry :(
but you know she will feel much better tomorrow and then she will eat chicken for you. :)

some of my dogs just never wanted to eat right after surgery. I figured, as long as they took a couple slurps of water we were half way there.
Good Luck tonight.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:18 pm

Feel better, baby Brina! (and YOU too!)

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Woohooo an hour and a half later and she ate a big bowl of cooked chicken :nana:
Great, now i'm not worried anymore. :))

You can see she's in a better mood too :) Still tired, but she walked around, ate and drank some water. That's good, waaaay better than after her first surgery in 2006, she didn't want to eat or drink for almost 3 days then.

Thanks everybody!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm so glad she ate!! What a relief for you.
Get well soon Brina Baby!!

Return to “Health Issues”