GRAPES -- how urgent is eating four grapes?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sailboat
Bully Lover 4 Life

GRAPES -- how urgent is eating four grapes?

Postby Sailboat » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Someone I am in communication with on another msg board just said she gave her newly-adopted puppy four dime-sized grapes.

She didn't know grapes are poisonous to dogs!

I don't know how long ago she gave them -- whether it makes sense for her to administer hydro peroxide to induce vomiting -- I posted and am awaiting her reply.

Is this an emergency vet thing? They just picked up the dogs today and it's Saturday night. (They got two rescued puppies but only one ate the grapes).

Sailboat
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: GRAPES -- how urgent is eating four grapes?

Postby Sailboat » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:06 pm

Looks like the grapes were consumed two hours ago as of this posting -- I assume that's too late for inducing vomiting to help?

Should I tell her to rush to the emergency vet?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:11 pm

this is a pet poison control number that was posted on here (by FBODgrl) and it is suppsoed to be no charge to call and ask
785-532-5679
it could or could not be life threatening each dog has a differnt level of tolerance to grapes/raisens (woudln't chance it with puppies)
but she needs to do call the poison contorl number or ER vet immediately and take their advice

Sailboat
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sailboat » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks, I called my own e-vet and the vet tech said to tell her to go ahead and take the dog in. I did so.

Here's hoping everything turns out ok, I will update if/when this person lests me know.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:38 pm

I hope she does get that puppy in and all will be well.
Yes- please update when you can?

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:13 pm

maggie got into a bag of raisons once, and landed herself in chateu e-vet for the weekend.
it was too late to induce vomiting (she got them while i was at work) so they basically just kept her on fluids and flushed out her system. scary stuff tho! there's no set limit to say that X ammount of grapes is toxic (like they can with chocolate), so it's better to be safe that sorry.

Sailboat
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sailboat » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:24 pm

update: she made both puppies heave their cookies with hydrogen peroxide, and saw no traces of grapes. So she packed them up and went to the emergency vet.

Will update if I hear more.

They're rescued mutts and cute as buttons. Hoping all will be well.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:09 pm

here's hoping they're okay!

maggie's saving grace was that she's a gulper. seh didn't acctually chew any of the raisons, so they went in and came out whole! well, acctually, they went in as raisons and came out like grapes. guess they re-hydrated on the way through! lol

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Booker (who is 70ish pounds and a world-class junk eater, er, I mean, "rampaging gourmand") has eaten grapes, definitely more than four at once, and has not gotten sick from them. If that makes you feel any better.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:09 pm

I've read that they don't even know what exactly is poisonous about the grapes/raisins. It might not even be the fruit itself. It might be the pesticides they use on them during growing.
Those kinds of tests don't take things like that into consideration.

Hope everything turns out ok for the pups. :pray

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:26 pm

it could or could not be life threatening each dog has a differnt level of tolerance to grapes/raisens (woudln't chance it with puppies)

This is definitely the case, not something I would risk either, hope it all works out ok

Sailboat
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sailboat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:17 am

She reports being back from the emergency vet. The dogs were given checkups and activated charcoal. They will be closely watched for the next few days but appear to be OK so far.

Thanks everyone! They're 3 months or so, brown GSD mixes, shorthaired, 15-20 pounds.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:19 am

heartbullies wrote:Booker (who is 70ish pounds and a world-class junk eater, er, I mean, "rampaging gourmand") has eaten grapes, definitely more than four at once, and has not gotten sick from them. If that makes you feel any better.

Kane has gotten grapes, too (he's 40 lbs). He never had any issues. Hope they're ok.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:56 pm

1 grape per lb of body weight is typically the minimum toxic dose (so for a 15 lb puppy, 15 grapes). But of course, it's always better to be safe, and I'm glad the pups are fine.

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:24 pm

Grapes are one of those things that seem to be toxic to some dogs and not others, and the amount varies per dog. In fact, there was a dog I read about that lived on winery land and the owners always knew when the grapes were ready to harvest because it was ONLY when the grapes were just ready for harvest that their dog started eating the grapes from the vines. The dog ate many grapes, every year, his entire life... no ill effects.

So, better safe than sorry...but I personally would not be terribly concerned with four dime-sized grapes, even with a puppy (raising, I understand, are a bit worse...but make sense since grapes have a LOT of water in them whereas raisins are essentially deyhydrated grapes)

Return to “Health Issues”