Concerns of a new parent

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: Concerns of a new parent

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:07 am

Ear mites are really uncommon in dogs... I think you should take your pup to the vet to find out whats really growing in the ears.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:44 am

Yep, the ears can be treated, but best to get a vet to determine the proper treatment. You can have the rash checked at the same time. The extra dewclaw on her back leg could get torn if she's active outdoors, but probably not worth having it taken off until you see if that is going to happen. Otherwise, just make sure you keep the nail on it trimmed.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:06 am

I think you should definitely take her in for her ears...what if something else is wrong and what you're doing to treat the "ear mites" is making it worse. Our girl Bailey has constant issues with her ears. She gets a lot of yeast infections...we do as much as we can to keep them clean but she has it out for us :) She go to where we let them dig and get up side down and rub her head back and forth practically filling her ears with dirt. She also has allergies and gets itchy quite often. And the armpit area was one that bothered her often. For her we found that if we wipe her down after a good play in the grass (we believe this is what she is allergic to, ironic for a dog I think) and we started adding some fish oil to her food...and for the most part that helped tremendously. Seriously before that, her paws were SO red you could see the skin through her white fur. Others have talked a great deal about Atopica for allergies and how much it has helped their dogs. So maybe when you go to get her ears checked out you can talk to your vet about that too.

Good luck, I know how much it sucks to see your dog uncomfortable.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:25 am

Where did you get her from?

Did they give you papers for her shots?

I'd take her into the vet and have a general check up and have the ear and arm pit issues checked.

twotanks
Newborn Bully

Postby twotanks » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:05 pm

since no one answered this part I will. She most likely has a double dew claw. It isn't common in lager dogs but certainly isn't something that needs to be removed unless it bothers her. I groom plenty of dogs with double dew claws and they are just the same as regular dews just 2 nails. Nothing to worry about imo.

Return to “Health Issues”