Nasal Adenocarcinoma Cancer-Any help from anyone? Please!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mpetva2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Nasal Adenocarcinoma Cancer-Any help from anyone? Please!!!

Postby mpetva2 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:36 am

My boy Ducati (who just turned 6 yrs old in Dec 09) was just diagnosed with Nasal Adenocarcinoma after his right eye was starting to bulge out. Surgery was done by an Opthomologist, biopsy sent in and Nasal Adenocarcinoma was confirmed. We saw an Oncologist today and are now wrestling with the treatment options.

It turns out that the cancer has invaded his whole right nasal cavity and proceeded to grow into the right eye orb.

Any one with experience with this Cancer please, please, please post here to give me advice on diet, treatment or anything that could help me save my boy and help me make a decision on what to do! Please I am desperate!!!!

Thank you,
Karen

Nov 09:

resthavenfarms
Matured Bully

Re: Nasal Adenocarcinoma Cancer-Any help from anyone? Please!!!

Postby resthavenfarms » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:03 am

Would enucleation (removal of the eye) be an option? Maybe not since it's in the sinus cavity as well. I haven't seen this type of cancer in dogs (my small animal experience is pretty limited) and I don't have any advice :( but will be thinking of you!

mpetva2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mpetva2 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:29 am

resthavenfarms wrote:Would enucleation (removal of the eye) be an option? Maybe not since it's in the sinus cavity as well. I haven't seen this type of cancer in dogs (my small animal experience is pretty limited) and I don't have any advice :( but will be thinking of you!

Thank you for your thoughts:-) We can use all the help we can get.

It would have been an option if the tumor was only behind his eye. Sadly though, the CT Scan he had yesterday showed the tumor filling out the whole right nasal cavity. Probably started there and grew into the eye socket/orbit from there.

resthavenfarms
Matured Bully

Postby resthavenfarms » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:44 am

Was afraid of that. If I find out anything useful I will share. It sucks when our kids get sick.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:41 am

Cancer is so awful. :sad: I can't be of any help, but you and Ducati will be in my thoughts.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:31 am

I am so sorry. I have not had any experience with the specific type of cancer your Ducati was diagnosed with. But there are many people (including me) here whose dogs have battled cancer, so if you need support we are here for you. :hug:
I hope you are able to get all the information you need and are able to make a decision you are comfortable with for his treatment.
You and Ducati will be in my thoughts.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:41 am

No experience with nasal cancer, but oral cancer that spread like wild fire. After going through it and looking back I think the best advice someone could have given me was to be aware of his quality of life. Sidney-our dog, was a happy boy but couldn't eat hard food or hardly breath some times. He drooled a lot and it was black...he started to lose that glint in his eyes. He was a very mellow dog anyways and very accomodating-whatever you wanted to do. But we could tell he was uncomfortable.

We tried to have surgery done but when the surgeon went in and saw up close and in person how far it had spread...she suggested a non recovery surgery. It was attached to the roof of his mouth, his tongue, his cheek and his gums. It was aggressive and they could try to do the sugery but there was a good chance that even if they were successful that it would come right back. And we couldn't fathom bringing him to surgery after surgery.

I wish you the best, and I hope you get the information you need on diet and medication and whatever else can help so that you don't have to go through what we did. We didn't have the chance, it happened so quickly.

Something someone said to me (in Sydney's memorial I believe) that stayed with me was that we should be glad it didn't spread to the bones, because bone cancer is extremely painful.

:hug:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:22 am

I only saw one after it ruptured through. I am sorry.
Do you have a canine oncologist nearby you can consult with?
A college of Veterinary medicine would be a great choice if you have one within a day's drive.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Have a heart to heart with your oncologist. Go over the cost, and the success rates, and the treatment side effects. Is it worth it to put your dog through ____ treatment, for _____ dollars, to get ____ months/weeks out of him??

The only one who can make this decision is you, and I can't help with this decision as I have little to no experience. When its time to say goodbye, your dog will tell you, you just have to be listening.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:22 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:When its time to say goodbye, your dog will tell you, you just have to be listening.

This is true - when I experienced it, the dog was thought to have been struck by a car. The owner (lived across the street) came over and authorized me to euthanize the dog on scene as it was too...sick/injured to move - he had to tell us it was cancer, I didn't know what was going on.
He let it go too long :(

mpetva2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mpetva2 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:27 pm

Thank you everyone!

We decided to go ahead with the 18 radiation treatment plus chemo. He will start tomorrow, 18 radiation treats, one every day, but not on weekends. It may give him & us (hopefully....please pray for him) an addditional (good) 12-15 months. I am absolutely terrified for my heartdog and for the, life of me can not fathom not having him around. He has been my rock and has kept me sane since I got him and he has seen me through so much personal trauma that I just don't know how I can survive without him.

His cancer can not be cured, we can only prolong his time with us, which we will do as long as Ducati is still Ducati and is not in pain (after the initiaL pain from the treatment (burns) which should not last for more than 2 or 3 weeks after finishing treatment and can be controlled with pain meds.

I think the hardest part is that he is still so young and has been healthy as a horse since he was a puppy (other than a knee problem on and off).

I have been crying non-stop since yesterday when our worst fears were confirmed. I hate for him to see me like that but no matter how hard I try to keep it together, my world has come crashing down and it took me along with it.

Thanks again!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:27 pm

You might want to look into cancer diets etc. (grain choices are apparently important) as well, at this point in time, anything helps.

I wish I could help more than suggesting you look into it, I was sick for this lecture of my nutrition course, and haven't had much time/reason to do much personal research since then.

Best of luck, and I'm actually glad you decided to do the radiation. Nose cancer is one of the few that is successful with it, and 12 months is actually a lot of time in the grand scheme of things...

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:10 am

:sad: So so sorry to hear, glad you have a good plan in place... you may want to check out Pit Bull Talk, when I checked it out -thinking about joining awhile back, I noticed they have a seperate canine cancer section under health and I believe there was/is a thread on similiar or same....

positive thoughts for your boy and you...

mpetva2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mpetva2 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:26 am

Nickdawg wrote::sad: So so sorry to hear, glad you have a good plan in place... you may want to check out Pit Bull Talk, when I checked it out -thinking about joining awhile back, I noticed they have a seperate canine cancer section under health and I believe there was/is a thread on similiar or same....

positive thoughts for your boy and you...

Thank you.

Will go and check it out right away.

Karen

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:32 am

I have no experience in this area.

You are both in my thoughts.

Return to “Health Issues”