Parvo smell???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Parvo smell???

Postby Midniteblack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:44 am

What does Parvo smell like? My girl threw up Sunday night/Monday morning and just now. Other than that she's fine. Firm poop no lethargy no dizziness, still eating and drinking..... I don't want to be a "father hen" but at the same time i want to make sure she's okay... is it time to go to the vet? (she has an appointment for her shots next friday anyway).
Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Re: Parvo smell???

Postby Midniteblack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:06 am

Could it also be that she's sick because she's teething or something? (similar to how babies get sick all the time when they're young)
Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Postby Midniteblack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 am

I'm the only one posting about this, I'm sorry but i'm a bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to me and i guess now my pup. geez i suck.
Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:58 am

I've never personally smelled parvo, but I hear it has a very distinct smell. Metallic almost. I mean, poop and throw up stink, but this would smell differently.

Have you changed the food recently? Has she eaten any thing odd? Pieces of toys, sticks...frogs...anything like that. Also what does the vomit look like?

I'm a hypochondriac too, so I might just end up talking you into going to the vet before you're scheduled, but I've dealt with some throw up here and there. Our girl Bailey has a sensitive stomach. How long have you had your pup? With Bailey we found that if we gave a small meal in the morning and the bigger one at night before bed, she did much much better. It may be something as simple as that for your girl.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Midniteblack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:16 am

It looks like regular undigested food, I've had her for two weeks already had her first round of shots and are scheduled for another round next friday. There is no metallic smell or anything, and the last time she usually eats is around 7 or so (after that she's sleeping for the night around 8:30 or nine. and it just started happening on sunday.
Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Postby Midniteblack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:19 am

btw she's eating now. (i stopped mixing the new with the old so she's only eating the old right now)
Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Postby Midniteblack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:24 am

I'm wondering if its because she's young and if that has anything to do with it.
Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:45 am

Midniteblack wrote:I'm wondering if its because she's young and if that has anything to do with it.

I dont' think that her age would have anything to do with her getting sick...unless you're taking her for car rides-as I hear it can take them a little while to get used to it. I think the change in diet might have been what it was. I would keep an eye on her, if it's not getting better or if it changes I'd take her in. It could be something big and bad, or it could be nothing. You've got quiet a few years a head of you to be freaked out by what your dog does :) so maybe this one isn't a big deal. You'll obviously have to be the deciding factor on it. I figure, if you're really freaked out-take her in. If you think she's getting better and you've calmed down some, then wait til Friday. I think your gut feeling will tell you if you really need to take her in.
jamielvsaustin
Regulator

Postby Midniteblack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 pm

She's fine I think... Just finished my lunch break (I work from home) and she played the whole time now she's eating again (all she does is eat play and sleep lol) so I'll keep an eye on her and play it by ear. lol
Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:25 pm

The smell of parvo is associated with the bloody diarrhea.
It basically smells like rotten dead things or rotten blood.
Between the blood and the dying cells in the intestines, parvo smells really rank.

If she has no diarrhea she may have just overeaten.
Make sure she gets dewormed every 10 days - 2 weeks and vaccines every 2-3 weeks, and does not walk around in heavily dog populated areas.
Don't overfeed - it's better to feed smaller meals 3-4 x a day rather than 1-2 large meals.
msvette2u

Postby Midniteblack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:45 pm

i feed her three to four times a day. next week she will go to the vet and get her next round of vaccines and wormed again. i try to keep her away from heavily dog populated areas but at the same time im trying to get her socialized and there are a lot of dogs around the area.
Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Copper is the closest you can come to the parvo smell. If the vomit, breath or poop(usually liquid) has a rotting, coppery smell there's a definite trip to the vet in order. Even if it doesn't smell, those symptoms are serious in a little baby.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Yeh...copper early on but the more it progresses it begins to smell just like rotten blood.
When we had the Vizsla here, it was so bad we were changing her pads every 15 min. and the whole house reeked, she was in our bathroom with the door closed.
It's very unmistakable, once you've smelled it you won't forget :(
msvette2u

Postby Midniteblack » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:50 am

Okay, happy to report she's still eating fine no throw up this morning and poop still firm. She's chewing a bully stick as I type this in her little sweater. roflmao :cool:
Midniteblack
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues