What's wrong with my nose PBF?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jamielvsaustin

What's wrong with my nose PBF?

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:25 am

I'm pretty sure it's from her being in the crate and wanting out. I haven't actually watched her do this, but I think that's what's happening. And the only other thing I can think of is her licking it constantly.

Is this a vet issue or can I treat it at home. Right now I haven't done anything to it but look at it. If it starts looking gross I'll clean it, but beyond that I'm not sure what to do.

When she came to us she had this a little bit, you can see it in her first couple of pictures with us. But it went away.

She's gotten really good-excellent even at going into the crate when we ask her too. The only time I hear her whine is when it's bed time and she's in first and we're still getting everyone in their places. However, sometimes when she's in the room and the other dogs are in the living room she'll whine. Maybe she's doing it with the door? I can see her little feet and nose right there...

poor girl.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: What's wrong with my nose PBF?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:27 pm

borrow/rent a video camera to find out what she's doing in her crate while you're gone. If she's rubbing, then there's no need to see the vet unless it gets worse or appears to be infected.

If your pup is good in her crate, it may be an early sign of autoimmune disease.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:If your pup is good in her crate, it may be an early sign of autoimmune disease.

Are there other symptoms? It seems to me she has a runny nose often.

She did have some blood in her stool recently and the vet at the shelter wasn't available so a tech told me that if it wasn't dark red it probably wasn't a problem and it was likely she had worms. Prior to that she did have tapeworms, and he said that the other types (I believe he mentioned two) are common with shelter dogs especially if they have tapeworms and you can't typically see them with your eyes. So he gave us some medicine to give her. After that the blood stopped, so we thought he was right. Yesterday she pooped in her crate, but we switched foods. Typically we like to do the switch gradually, but didn't this time.

Can they test for autoimmune? I have to admit, it sounds kind of scary. I haven't done any research yet though...and I'm a self proclaimed hypochondriac :(

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:08 pm

Autoimmune diseases that affect the nose are almost always related just to the skin... only the REALLY rare ones would affect her health as a whole. Autoimmune disease can be as mild as a change in color to as severe as the top layer of her skin peeling off... depending on the disease and how severely she's affected.

The disease is diagnosed with a skin biopsy... but usually just keeping an eye on it for a couple weeks to see if it heals is your best bet... just in case it really is just a scrape, which it probably is.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Also, sorry for the DP but sometimes her eye boogers have a pinkish/redish tint to them. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything, just thought I'd put it out there.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:22 pm

jamielvsaustin wrote:Also, sorry for the DP but sometimes her eye boogers have a pinkish/redish tint to them. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything, just thought I'd put it out there.

Really? thats kinda odd... probably just porphyrins (normal pigment) but still unusual... are her eyes or the area around her eyelids red/irritated ever?

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Her eyes don't seem to be irritated...at all. But she did have the crap beat out of her, so maybe there was damage done that we don't know about.

When I go home I'll take a better look at them, and if she has any boogies, I'll try to get a picture of them-yum :)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:05 pm

Eek... Eye boogies creep me out. I can do anal glands, vomit, diarrhea... stick my nose in it and even play with it on the microscope (yup! even anal glands) but eye boogies seriously give me the heebie geebies...

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:06 pm

Alright, lol, on behalf of you I'll create a new thread, that way you don't have to look if you don't want to. :)

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:56 pm

she sure is cute, hope it nothing serious for her.
One of my dogs occasionally gets pinkish/reddish eye boogers too.
OT
MIsskiwi I have a friend with a West Va. byb Basset Hound X Beagle. His nails keep splitting/separating going up above his quick/skin even. he has to go to his vet, get put under and they cut his nails waaaaaay back, vet said it was some sort of autoimmune disease??? She keeps forgetting what automiinus disease it is???
(sorry to go OT, but the autoimmune suggestion just reminded me of this poor little dog)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:09 pm

pblove wrote:she sure is cute, hope it nothing serious for her.
One of my dogs occasionally gets pinkish/reddish eye boogers too.
OT
MIsskiwi I have a friend with a West Va. byb Basset Hound X Beagle. His nails keep splitting/separating going up above his quick/skin even. he has to go to his vet, get put under and they cut his nails waaaaaay back, vet said it was some sort of autoimmune disease??? She keeps forgetting what automiinus disease it is???
(sorry to go OT, but the autoimmune suggestion just reminded me of this poor little dog)

oooh, oooh... doctor words escape me... I'll be back after a quick trip to my dermatology text.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:15 pm

Onychodystophy... suspected to be immune mediated, results in the sloughing of claws, and replacement claws are misshapen, soft or brittle, discolored, friable, and often slough again. Affected feet are often itchy and painful. Does that sound right??

Treated with regular nail trims, and heavy supplementation of fatty acids and vitamin E... if that doesn't work, then there is an antibiotic cocktail that sometimes works... if that doesn't work, prednisone/azathioprine can be tried... if that doesn't work, therapeutic declawing may alleviate discomfort.

Fatty acid dose is 180 mg EPA per 10 pounds daily for 3 months, if no improvement, then add 200 IU vitamin E every 12 hours, again for 3 months before attempting the next potential treatment.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:30 pm

yes that sounds about right!
He is often seen limping, licking his feet, whinning. He also has terribly deformed front legs, elbows (think Basset Hound legs at their worst) Sometimes his nails look like they are fringed/frayed, they often turn different colors.
She feeds Oriijen, (with added cooked meats or chicken at every meal-two meals per day. not cheapo meats, prime human grade NY strips, Delmonico, filets , beef cubes, ground beef, pork, deboned chicken breats ).No supplements or vitamins though.
I will copy/past your info/post as I will see her tomorow.
He does get a sort of scabby nose occasionally too.

chelsea00133
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby chelsea00133 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:48 pm

I cant help you, I have no idea what it is. BUT I just wanted to say, Bailey used to get the EXACT same thing. It would randomly come up for no reason, and NO it was not from a scrape or running it on anything. It went away on its own, and came back a couple times. The only thing I can say is that it happend when he was eating kibble, since on raw diet it has not come back, so it might be related, and it might not.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:15 pm

Do you crate her with anything? A toy? A blanket?

Arnold buries things with his nose and also tears open his nose when trying to escape.

most recent

an older injury

Return to “Health Issues”