What's wrong with my nose PBF?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Red
Addicted to PBF

Re: What's wrong with my nose PBF?

Postby Red » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:48 am

Tux has a similar spot on the nose right now since yesterday something he ate did not agree with his stomach. He pooped in his crate and when that happens he makes damn sure that the poop won't touch his body (not sure he understood that it comes out of his own rear end). He packed it up flat under a blanket and then shoved everything it on a corner and stood as far away as he could from it. Right after I got him he pooped in the crate often since he was sick and recovering from a stomach surgery and his nose ended up being raw a few times. In Tux's case I cleaned the area and applied some antibiotic ointment. An abrasion from rubbing his nose into something is the first thing I thought when I saw your picture. Hopefully it is nothing more than that.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:52 am

Red wrote:Tux has a similar spot on the nose right now since yesterday something he ate did not agree with his stomach. He pooped in his crate and when that happens he makes damn sure that the poop won't touch his body (not sure he understood that it comes out of his own rear end). He packed it up flat under a blanket and then shoved everything it on a corner and stood as far away as he could from it. Right after I got him he pooped in the crate often since he was sick and recovering from a stomach surgery and his nose ended up being raw a few times. In Tux's case I cleaned the area and applied some antibiotic ointment. An abrasion from rubbing his nose into something is the first thing I thought when I saw your picture. Hopefully it is nothing more than that.

We called the vet (the one at the shelter) and they didn't seem too concerned, just to say if it gets worse then bring her in. It looked better this morning. She has been pooping in her crate-twice now. We're not sure if she's not feeling well-she appears to be fine. Or if it's because of the food change we've done recently, or because we've switched crates. So today she was given rice and squash for breakfast, put back in the smaller metal crate (in the kitchen) and I'm going to check on her at lunch.

We don't own a camera, so we can't video tape her yet. But we've been asking around-one of our friends has to have one.

dr961
Super Bully

Postby dr961 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:39 am

I'm pretty sure it's from her being in the crate and wanting out. I haven't actually watched her do this, but I think that's what's happening. And the only other thing I can think of is her licking it constantly.

That looks just like what happens sometimes when a dog is crated with a blanket and for some reason spends a lot of time pushing the blanket around with its nose, often when trying to cover something up (like a bone, toy, or poop!) Do you have a blanket in your dog's crate? And is it sometimes in a heap when you come home? I doubt that just licking her nose would rub the hide off, but pushing a blanket sure will.

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:02 am

dr961 wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's from her being in the crate and wanting out. I haven't actually watched her do this, but I think that's what's happening. And the only other thing I can think of is her licking it constantly.

That looks just like what happens sometimes when a dog is crated with a blanket and for some reason spends a lot of time pushing the blanket around with its nose, often when trying to cover something up (like a bone, toy, or poop!) Do you have a blanket in your dog's crate? And is it sometimes in a heap when you come home? I doubt that just licking her nose would rub the hide off, but pushing a blanket sure will.

This, she definitely does. Sometimes...like on the weekend when I'm cleaning, I'll put a nice new fresh blanket in there...and it's like some radar goes off in her head...she'll walk into the crate and adjust the blanket-and by that I mean, take the blanket I just nicely folded and positioned...and roll it into a ball. And then walks away. Knuckle head.

It's starting to look better, I think it was a combination of things. She didn't have any accidents yesterday. And this morning she made me so happy. This just proves to me that dogs enjoy routine. Right after I let everyone out-she was the last, she came in and went into her crate and laid down and looked at me like...there's a treat or a toy coming right. I was so happy I could have cried.

Shylee
Newborn Bully

Postby Shylee » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:45 am

I'd probably agree with the crate comment, my dog Cody always tries to dig his way out, or chew him way out and he always ends up looking like this...

Because he uses his nose before his brain....
I only first noticed it when we had him in the back yard, he had spent all his time trying to dig under the fence, and now he does it in his crate. It doesn't bother him, sometimes it bleeds a little, but it heels nicely when he is allowed to roam the hall

(barely uses the crate now...so)

Return to “Health Issues”